Cleveland Bays?????

BuzzyBea

Visit site
I've seen an ad for a 12 year old Cleveland Bay that I am considering as a hacking horse to ride out with my daughter and her ISh. Trouble is I haven't knowingly met one before.

Can anyone offer me their thoughts (good and bad) on the breed and their suitability as happy hackers and kind field mates with wussy geldings!!!

Just want a nice straight forward horse that is happy to be ridden from time to time but easy on the ground and likes a cuddle and a fuss!!!

Evie91

Visit site
Years ago I shared a cbxtb . He could be very stubborn and a couple of times took off with me out hacking, when he decided it was time to go home! If you had to get off out hacking, he would canter off as soon as you put your foot in the stirrup to get back on! Apart from that straight forward to school, jump. He did have ring bone, side bone and asthma - although whilst I was sharing it never seemed to effect him (especially when he was galloping home!).
I met another at a yard and she was a super star - suitable for a beginner and someone with more experience. Really nice and gentle disposition and now I believe in her twenties gone on loan for a novice to hack.
They are big and wide though - when you're used to riding a tb you know when you've sat on a cb. In another way it's a good thing as even when they spook there's plenty of horse left under you - if you get what I mean.
Personally I wouldn't want to own one, but that's because my personal preference is for finer types :)

bakewell

Visit site
Go and meet it.
It's a nice solid breed, with a workmanlike attitude. I think most similar to an ID in attitude, but the sample size of experience in CB is very small. Each horse is an individual though and it's life informs it's personality. Sadly it's also a breed on the cusp of dying out.
I find them a very attractive horse with great feet (as a carriage horse should).

Bobbly

Visit site
Bossy, opinionated and stroppy.....until they grow up after about 8 and should only be driven so you can get behind them! I had a half bred who I was having problems (rearing and napping) with and I sought opinions at a 'Your Horse' type event years ago at Stoneleigh, I asked an eminent showjump rider of the day who advised me to find a bloke about 18st to get on and beat the crap out of him. Needless to say I didn't. Other wise they are very nice :)

SpringArising

Visit site
Bossy, opinionated and stroppy.....until they grow up after about 8 and should only be driven so you can get behind them! I had a half bred who I was having problems (rearing and napping) with and I sought opinions at a 'Your Horse' type event years ago at Stoneleigh, I asked an eminent showjump rider of the day who advised me to find a bloke about 18st to get on and beat the crap out of him. Needless to say I didn't. Other wise they are very nice :)

Who said that? What appalling and terrifying advice.

Lolita

Visit site
I use to have a Cleveland bay many years ago and he was one of the best horses I have ever had the pleasure to own. Very easy on the ground and lovely to ride but was a little bit difficult with other horses.

I would definitely go and view it. :)

Kat

Visit site
Pm Rollin she has enough of them to give you good advice. Remember there are good and bad in all breeds though and the key is to find something you like and does what you want.

domsmith

Visit site
I have become completely obsessed by them. i own a part bred who is lovely, and as soon as i can find one a pure bred mare. such an endangered breed. more giant pandas than cb`s in the world. only about 30 foals world wide were registered last year, seems tragic! so beautiful and elegant.

I think they are generally docile would rather stand and look at what scared them than waste the energy running from it.

defo go and see it.

d

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hate hate hate them would rather not have a horse , the stubbornest horses I have ever met and most where shiverers too.
Did know a very sweet TB cross cb once he shivered as well but he was a lovely person not nice enough to change my mind though .

yak

Visit site
Wow. I can't believe people who write off a whole breed. I've met some lovely CB's and a couple of nappy CB's. Same as I've met some lovely welsh cobs/Arabs/TBs and some awful welsh cobs/Arabs/TBs.

Just go and try him for himself, not because of his breed. Not all horses live up to their breed reputation and it would be awful if you wrote off a lovely horse because some people think CBs are stubborn. Good luck with your viewing! :)

Inthesticks

Visit site
I had one on loan for 2 years - if I could find another like her I would be a happy woman, she was amazing to ride, in the field and had a 6th sense to who was riding her, she hacked out a few times a week and schooled no issues

fankino04

Visit site
Overall the ones I have known have been good solid working horses, I agree they do tend to have a stubborn side to them but hey so do welsh cobs and they do a good job for plenty of people. As yak says go and see it then you are judging the horse not stereotypes of the breed. Good luck x

SpringArising

Visit site
Wow. I can't believe people who write off a whole breed. I've met some lovely CB's and a couple of nappy CB's. Same as I've met some lovely welsh cobs/Arabs/TBs and some awful welsh cobs/Arabs/TBs.

Just go and try him for himself, not because of his breed. Not all horses live up to their breed reputation and it would be awful if you wrote off a lovely horse because some people think CBs are stubborn. Good luck with your viewing! :)

This! Talk about tarring all with the same brush.

Batgirl

Visit site
First one I met was the ex police horse that I learned to ride on, nuff said really being suitable for the police but he tolerate my completely novice butt bouncing around on him and was a dude.

My friend had one that jumped Foxhunters and was a super chap, yard favourite.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My first experience was a half-bred mare who was my horse of a lifetime. Everything I loved about her seemed to be the characteristics of the CB side of her breeding. So when I lost that mare's son I bought a full CB filly. She is a joy to own and is everything I wanted and expected. She is sensible (been absolutely ace to break in), willing, and opinionated.

I think 'opinionated' is a breed characteristic (along with the ears) rather than stubborn, and I like that in a horse - or human for that matter. I would certainly give a CB serious consideration.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have met two CB's in my time, first one was a dude, but was stubborn, could buck like billyho but was a great hack. Cheap to keep, very uncomplicated and was a dream in the field.

Second one is stubborn, opinionated, not a good hack & spooky, he is that cheap to keep that his grazing has to be restricted due to laminitis. He is not good in the field with others and needs individual turnout.

Both horses had small feet.

yeeharider

Visit site
Bought my CB xTB as a 3yo to break and sell on, 17years later I still have him, have had endless hours of fun with him, have hunted his legs off, jumped everything in front of us. Was not quick enough to event but did us proud in WH classes. He is 18hh worth of gentleman. He is now 21 and going nowhere, he owes me nothing. Would have another without question :)

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thanks so much for all of the replies and as with all breeds I guess the response is mixed.

I think that I really need to go and see him as he sounds like a real gentleman on paper but I will only truly find out once I've met him in the flesh!!

Fingers crossed ;)