Cleveland Bays

onemoretime

Visit site
It would appear that CB's are out of fashion. Such a shame for such a lovely versatile horse. A friend of mine has several pure breeds but is going to have to sell them and give up breeding in Ireland as they are just not required. They come from very good lines and have such lovely temperaments. A pity.

CBFan

Visit site
I'm not sure this is true? There is quite a Cleveland Bay contingent out there. Perhaps your friend just isn't advertising her stock in the right places? Have they tried facebook? There are lots of Cleveland Bay groups on there and good, fairly priced horses get snapped up fast...They are an incredibly rare breed and do have an unfortunate reputation for being stubborn, which is usually totally unjust - and people are starting to become wise to this and appreciate them for the talented, versatile, kind, genuine and characterful horses that they are....

onemoretime

Visit site
Agree Tally-lah I used to have a 3/4 tb 1/4 CB mare had her for 20 years she was the best. If you know anyone looking for a pure bred I can put them in contact with this lady.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I have my first pure bred CB. I've had two part bred before and promised myself a pure bred for my next. She's 4 and has been a pleasure to break so far. I'm appalled at the prospect of the breed dying out, they are wonderful.

windand rain

Visit site
What a shame all rare breeds should be supported
Mind you the only ones I have come across are lovely but prone to navicular syndrome so you need a good farrier or barefoot trimmer. They have all been partbreds but all suffered the same fate One of the most talented horses I have seen was a CB XTB

joulsey

Visit site
I agree its a real shame. The problem is that people want them crossed with your sportier TB's/WB's (which I agree make fantastic horses), so the purebreds are just dwindling.

edgedem

Visit site
my boy is a Cleveland bay x and I just think he is the most gorgeous gentle darling ever, even at his regal old age! wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time is right, they are the most beautiful breed in my opinion.

CBFan

Visit site
I really want a clevland bay youngster!!!!!

http://www.clevelandbay.com/for-sale

There are also lots of pages on facebook, full of very friendly and knowledgeable people so get enquiring! :)

I don't know of any with navicular - that, unfortunately is a condition associated with bigger horses, and as you suggest, poor farriery / trimming. I know of several warmblood or Irish horses with navicular and in all cases they have SHOCKING feet / farriery so it is not a breed specific condition.

Anyone with a pure or partbred PLEASE try to support showing classes held in your area and show off your CB to the nation... we desperately need to spread the word as to how fantastic this breed is.

Also, there is no harm in partbreds - the CB does bring some valuable traits to many crosses and indeed, many modern breeds have CB blood just a few generations back..but yes, we do need more pures :)

onemoretime

Visit site
CB Fan the lady is in Ireland and the irish don't appear to want them so she is sending them over to England.

Last edited:

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I think the Irish Draught may have taken over the Cleveland Bay's role in the UK as well. I'm surprised the police don't seem to use CBs as police horses. I would have thought they would be ideal.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Years ago i had a cleaveland bay x Arab. Yes i know......sounds awful! But she was so pretty, fantastic conformation. I would describe her a working hunter type. She had picked up the nice bits of the cleaveland but had the prettyness of her arab mum. I used to use her for BSJA, was super careful!

joulsey

Visit site
There are some interesting threads in the Breeding section on CB's.

I don't understand why they aren't used more as ridden hunters. I guess with there not being many purebreds now the prices are sky high and its cheaper to get ID's. Shame.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I would be interested if they wernt as much ££££££££££££££££££!!! Maybe in a couple of years I might treat myself to one, when my section D youngster has grown up lol!!

windand rain

Visit site
Nice horse not so nice price ticket still if you don't ask you don't get. Many years ago saw a whole stud of broodmares go through the market ring for meat it is such a shame when the fashions change I kindof hoped they would be used as broodmares with the dealer but somehow I doubt it

Tally-lah

Visit site
Section D's are known as the poor mans Cleveland Bay, which I think is funny.

I would definitely like one in the future - a PB that is. I think they are supurb horses and our only native Warmblood, from what I understand.

harveysmom

Visit site
I must say that some of the comments on this thread are interesting.
Cleveland bay prices are NOT sky high because they are rare they are low because they are not in fashion
TB have bad feet NOT Cleveland bays if they are part-breds the bad feet may come from the TB side
The police would like to use Cleveland bays and they did show their interest by advertising on the CBHS website asking if there were any they could buy, also one of my mares foals was chosen as a police horse with the MET. The truth is there isnt enough around anymore so the police have to look elsewhere
I have never heard of a Cleveland bay with navicular where did this rumour start from
Its no wonder they are unpopular if people read rubbish like this