Clever foaly & a castration question

ihatework

Visit site
Proud parent alert!
I took my 3.5 month foal out to a little show this weekend and he was so well behaved it was unbelievable.
Perfect small low key outing, a shame there weren't more entered to be able to pitch against, but a very valuable lesson all the same.
He loaded and travelled well, waited patiently for his turn and then went into the ring as bold as brass and showed off nicely. I even managed to recapture him easily (this had been my fear as he did go through a 5 week spell uncaptured at one stage, lol!). Anyway, obligatory piccies of the little fella, who is mid growth spurt! We even got a lovely bunch of flowers for his efforts!

Next question - Castration. I had kind of been planning in my head next Feb/March time around the 10 month mark. But a couple of people have suggested doing it early before weaning as it's less stressful for them. This would mean he'd be around 5 months? What are peoples experiences/thoughts on that?

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
I've castrated ponies at all ages - before & after weaning, older ones, etc. Some people do feel that pre-weaning castration means that young colts have comfort from their mother and may be less stressed. I don't particularly feel that my post-weaned colts are particularly stressed - they're all pretty laid back, so I do it when it suits me. Generally our colts are castrated, and just walk off afterwards, and that's that really - meds in their meals for a few days, and then we're done. We've had a couple of castration complications, but that's because we castrate some older ponies sometimes - the older they are, the bigger the testicles, the bigger the risk of complications. I've never had anything that required further vet treatment beyond extending antibs/antiinflams/painkillers.

Bear in mind that often the younger they are, the less colty they behave - if you can do it going into autumn (once the worst of the flies are gone) and before weaning, why not do it then, rather than wait til just before spring? It's up to you really - I do think it's personal preference.

Alec Swan

Visit site
A smart foal and a nice sort of mare OP!

I asked my Vet about the likely problems regarding castration during hot weather and the risk of flies, and he responded "How do suppose that they manage in Argentina or South Africa"? He made a valid point!

I've never cut a colt until he, or the regime of his keep, demanded it. If he's to be kept with fillies or if he becomes a bit too full of himself and shows handling problems, then he's done. Colts whilst on their mothers can be coltish, but once weaned, they most calm down and are really no different from those which have been gelded, I've found.

The one risk attached to early castration and its a real risk, is that the gelded foal could well end up growing to quickly and becoming oversized. We rarely see TB stallions for instance, which are much over 16.2 hh, but there are plenty of 17 hh TB geldings about which were cut young and didn't seem to stop growing.

In short, when he needs it should be the maxim I'd have thought and ours have mostly been done at about 18 months, or so.

Alec.

PorkChop

Visit site
Gorgeous pic :)

I have always left them until either the spring or autumn when they are yearlings.

I would do it earlier if they were super naughty though :)

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks all - my gut feeling was to leave as late as possible within the circumstances, which in my case will be limited by the fact he is in a mixed sex group, hence why I was thinking 10 months-ish, but suppose could play that a bit by ear.
But a couple of people have made very valid point that it's a less risky and easier on the foal procedure if done while still on the dam - just want to do whatever is best!
Sounds like there is no real right / wrong answer then. Hmmm food for thought.
Realistically what age can they cover a mare? I don't think he will be too colty with people (although maybe a bit early to say that), as he is very sweet and polite so far!

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
The how old they are when they will begin to cover is one of those how long is a piece of string questions. Colts mature at different rates, and the time of year they're born can have an impact.

I've not been able to leave any of our colts on the mares beyond 7 - 8 months, as their behaviour has become a little too colty and the play a little too sexual for comfort. I have had to wean a couple a little before 6 months, as they were incredibly sexually mature. I don't like to wean before 6 months, and will leave foals later if I can - if their behaviour and the mares condition permit. I couldn't leave any of my colts on a mare until 10 months I don't think - I'd be incredibly twitchy about accidental coverings. Once a colt reaches sexual maturity, it WILL cover it's mother if still with her - this is not a risk I am prepared to take.

ihatework

Visit site
Interesting, thank you!
He wont be on his dam (planning to wean by 6 months), but he will be in with filly foals and in-foal broodies. Maybe a case of doing it while on dam at 5 months. Will have a chat to vet about potential growth implications

DuckToller

Visit site
I am so jealous that you can take yours to a show - my colt has been nicknamed Lucifer by my farrier due to his coltish behaviour, and I would love to castrate him asap (balls were present within days) but I am now torn.

He is extremely tricky to handle, takes two of us to lead him, he has thrown himself to the floor when he couldn't get his own way, and then up and over backwards (luckily in the school) so I would love to castrate the little devil asap, but he is also quite tall already and I don't want him growing like weeds as Alec warns.

His nicknames include Colty McColt Face, Bitey McBite Face, Little Sheet and Feisty Fricker.

He was a spoilt only foal, but is now out with another mare and foal and here's hoping for a quiet autumn :)

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
You'll probably find the colt has a say in the matter! The testicles tend to descend when they feel like it and not according to the calendar! The vet will have problems castrating if the testicles haven't descended.

I've also experienced none of the 'coltish behaviour' that is talked about but that's maybe because Highlands are generally well behaved, even the stallions. Ran two on to be castrated as two year olds to see if their shape would improve as some claimed and they were still easy to handle (by an old man in his 70's). I would not hesitate to do it again as I do think it improved them but perhaps only marginally.

If there is the possibility of problems with flies, why take the risk? Do it during the none-fly and no frost times of the year. If what they are doing in this video is coltish behaviour, I can live with it. Both were easily handle and both are now in a happy ridden home.

[video=youtube_share;_mLXAAOFOjQ]https://youtu.be/_mLXAAOFOjQ[/video]

millitiger

Visit site
I did mine at around 10 months.
Weaned around 6 months and then out with another foal friend for the winter who was already done.
Did my boy in the spring, he was used to coming in so he and friend came in to separate boxes in barn, mine was sedated and done standing up.
No dramas, no issues and as soon as sufficiently awake, they both went out back in the field.

He is now 3 and apart from being an inch smaller than I'd ideally like, he is just what I ordered 😄
Good luck with yours.

Clodagh

Visit site
I would leave it later. Mine was done early on vets advice to avoid OCD. He is now 18hh and still had OCD as a a yearling.
Of course, he may have grown to 18hh anyway.

Lgd

Visit site
If you geld earlier you may gain a little height (1 - 2") vs not gelding or gelding late.

I gelded my now 4yo at 6 months prior to weaning, he wasn't colty but his balls dropped at around 3 months. He was done standing under sedation with his Mum there. An hour to come round and check no bleeding, then home. Weaned once healed up.

My stallion was a yearling before he completely dropped, although some of that was probably nutritional as he wasn't fed properly while on youngstock livery - I'd been unable to visit for a month for health reasons, he was a bit light the last time I'd seen him and asked them to increase the feed. I don't think he had been getting fed at all and he was well underweight by the time I visited. Few weeks of decent nutrition and the weight went back on and the balls dropped!