Clicker training

Princess16

Visit site
So I have been actively doing this with my horse for a few weeks and he has learned how to target, push a big ball with his nose (which was a milestone considering he used to be sooo scared of it), has learned to give me kisses :)

So all good so far but I would like to know how I go about teaching him to fetch an object and give to me. Any ideas how best to go about this? And what are the best objects to use for this? Something easy for him to pick up.

We both have so much fun doing this plus it keeps his brain active and stimulates him so I want to progress with him.

I have Alex Kurland's book and have looked on-line but would like to hear from people on here who have actually achieved this.

Any ideas for any new tricks would also be welcome!

Morgan123

Visit site
So I have been actively doing this with my horse for a few weeks and he has learned how to target, push a big ball with his nose (which was a milestone considering he used to be sooo scared of it), has learned to give me kisses :)

So all good so far but I would like to know how I go about teaching him to fetch an object and give to me. Any ideas how best to go about this? And what are the best objects to use for this? Something easy for him to pick up.

We both have so much fun doing this plus it keeps his brain active and stimulates him so I want to progress with him.

I have Alex Kurland's book and have looked on-line but would like to hear from people on here who have actually achieved this.

Any ideas for any new tricks would also be welcome!

Hello, I've found clicker training absolutely amazing for my horse - whenever we have a problem ~(latest thing is the farrier), the clicker is completely instrumental in overcoming it. I haven't taught him to pick something up but i guess something like a short rope (am thinking like a dog pull toy made of rope) could work? Anyway, first teach him to touch it, then i guess maybe I'd be putting like molasses or something on it to encourage him to play with it, clicking when done, and then gradually only clicking when he picks it up?

Useful things i've taught my horse include:
Stand 'used to mean 'keep still' - e.g. we've been using 'stand' to mean, stop being an idiot with the farrier when on three legs.
Lift leg
Move over
Push (e.g. push the gate - super useful!)
Lower your head
Shake hands (for stretching legs forward after doing girth)
Move back

He also does kisses (kind of useful because he likes it so does it all the time/it's very good if he is stressed to quickly calm him and bring attention back to me - however, not good because he is a bit vigorous sometimes and does it unrequested so you have to be careful about your head being near walls!
Also 'shake hands' can be annoying if you're sitting infront of him e.g. trying to examine his knees or feet. However, it is easy enough to modify - i meant to teach him to Spanish walk as an extension of shake hands but never got round to it! People always think it's cute though.
Also playing football was a nice one for something different to do.

Princess16

Visit site
Wow thanks Morgan you've achieved lots with your boy! Yes mine backs up on command too! He lives out so no walls to bang into :)

The pully toy thing sounds good so will look for one of those.

Thanks again !

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi,

I only did clicker with Jay a few times, but "fetch" was one of the things we did. We started off with targeting a Vetwrapped wooden spoon, then holding it, then picking it up when thrown, then fetching it.

A video... But we only did this three times, and I mean with a clicker at all, not just this particular game so he is far from perfect.

[video=youtube;LT1rlobBh9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT1rlobBh9U[/video]

I just confirmed each part of the game, then withheld the click until he had experimented with the next, and rewarded when he guessed correctly.

He also learned a podium....
[video=youtube;aWdhHE-ybzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWdhHE-ybzQ[/video]

and did a music video...
[video=youtube;uiQqf9tMfV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQqf9tMfV4[/video]

I think that the podium one shows how we trained him, as that was his first time on the podium, and I just rewarding when he did something right. Although, on that one we also had him think that I wanted him to beat on the podium with a back foot. Once I stopped clicking that he realised he needed to do more.

Princess16

Visit site
Wow that's fantastic Red it's exactly what I want to achieve. The only problem I have is getting him to put the object in his mouth? The closest We have got to that is him trotting over and constantly touching it before I reward him - how do you actually go from that to him putting it in his mouth? Thats what I'm struggling with.

Your Jay is amazing! What a clever boy - a real credit to you and what trust he must have in you actually putting all 4 feet on the podium!

Red-1

Visit site
Wow that's fantastic Red it's exactly what I want to achieve. The only problem I have is getting him to put the object in his mouth? The closest We have got to that is him trotting over and constantly touching it before I reward him - how do you actually go from that to him putting it in his mouth? Thats what I'm struggling with.

Your Jay is amazing! What a clever boy - a real credit to you and what trust he must have in you actually putting all 4 feet on the podium!

Thank you Princess 16, I was more happy at his trust when I launched onto him bareback in a headcollar, with a guitar, when he had never seen a guitar before, in the music video. Eeek.

Jay is a FAB horse, and would you believe he was sold to be as a very naughty boy? He does everything I ask, and has coped with me when I injured my back after owning him just 6 months, he looks after me and catches me when my back gives way (which it does frequently XC!).

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
For those who use clicker training, how long has it taken for your horse to understand the connection between target, clicker & treat. I'm trying it with my youngster and he hasn't understood yet although when I did it with my old pony he got it after 2 sessions. How long has it taken others to get it?

Matafleur

Visit site
A couple of 10 minute sessions is all it has taken with the 3 of mine I have used it with.

Are you using simple exercises to load the clicker?

Matafleur

Visit site
For those who use clicker training, how long has it taken for your horse to understand the connection between target, clicker & treat. I'm trying it with my youngster and he hasn't understood yet although when I did it with my old pony he got it after 2 sessions. How long has it taken others to get it?

Just read your post properly(!), if he isn't getting it then I wouldn't bother with the target until he understands the clicker. I use "head away" to load the clicker but some people prefer to reward for a straight but lowered head position which I actually think is better as this is a calming posture for the horse and you can return to it in all sorts of situations. Good luck :)

Red-1

Visit site

With Jay, the ginger horse in my videos, it was in one session. Having said that, the 1st session was just to hold his head away, click and treat. He got that in a few minutes.

The target was the next session, to hold his head to the target, click and treat. Then next session I threw the target and he went to touch it. The session on the video was his fourth ever experience of a clicker, his third ever time with a target.

Having said that, he had a high play drive so was happy to explore new behaviours.

Sadly he has crossed rainbow bridge since I posted the videos, but he was great to work with.

For yours, I would not introduce a target until they learn to simply move their head away (or down). It is a moment of wonderous understanding when they work out that to get the treat they have to first move away from the treat. Like a child understanding a two step problem for the first time!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have been using a target and today, day 4, he seems to be starting to understand :) I didn't want to be getting impatient so I just wondered what the average was for getting the idea. I think the next time we do it he'll be there.
Interesting to hear your stories .

Last edited: