clicking and clucking and talking, oh my!

E13

Visit site
Following on from the clicking hate thread, what sounds/words/things, say clicking or kissing noises or whistling, do you use for your horse?

WelshRuby

Visit site
Walk on, trrrot, can-ter, woohoo, and staaand. Plus any amount of babble/singing in between!
NO!, followed by goood boooy if he obeys anything.
I missed the other thread but I also hate "clicking".

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
Aaaaaand stand, walk on, trot!, back up, and over, head up, ah ah ah if he's being naughty, growling if he is being really naughty lol!

I do the clicking thing to encourage him to move forwards :eek:

Arizahn

Visit site
I ramble away to mine, which is odd as I usually don't talk much at all! Also tend to sing when grooming him - he usually dozes off, lol!

Tobiano

Visit site
I have picked up the habit of whistling - to slow / calm down and also when Roo is travelling alone in the horsebox and neighs, I whistle back to him. No idea what he makes of that!

ArtyLinz

Visit site
In the show ring I "hiss" between my teeth at my horse when I ask him to gallop on. It's that quiet no one can hear but him, and he knows exactly what it means! Aside from that I avoid voice commands as I wouldn't use them in the show ring, so why use them at home? I also hate clicking!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I click to my horse... unfortunately I've done it so much that it now means if anyone else nearby clicks, he thinks it's for him and trots off! :/ Instructor did it in a jumping lesson a couple of weeks ago... clicked, mainly at me really, as I was coming into a jump (she wanted "more canter"). Horse heard, took off like a hurdler into the fence. So methinks I should probably stop with the clicking ;)

Annagain

Visit site
I clicked at my other half the other day - he wasn't walking fast enough and we were late.... He wasn't too impressed.

Mariposa

Visit site
I can mostly be heard saying ' go go' and then 'steady....steady.....STEADY...' and the occasional ' will you bl**dy stop!' to one particular pony on the polo ground....!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I clicked at my other half the other day - he wasn't walking fast enough and we were late.... He wasn't too impressed.

Haha! I do the same thing, mine hates it! I have also been known to say in a BHS-style voice "Ooooverrr" when I want him to move out of the way and am on autopilot! :D And I think I've told him to "walk on" once or twice too...!

benson21

Visit site
Since having mine broken to harness, I have a new noise!! Its sort of sssttttt, and he understands it to stand still!! My new instructor uses it when he drives, and I have just picked up on it. its the strangest of noises, and I do sometimes get very funny looks, but at least pony is standing still!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Like benson21 I drive and keep all my horses very voice trained
They know walk trot canter .
On , means go
Come , for more impulsion
Ah ah means I know what you are thinking don't do it
Brrrrrrtr means wake your ideas up
No means no that's my not at all pleased word
Stand means be still and ready to work
Rest means stand and relax and they can move between rest and stand by using the voice command
Back ,
Left and right
Round means turn round so right round turn the carriage through 180 degrees to right.
They know push ( to open a gate ) ridden only of course .
Yup ( to jump something they can't see on the ground like a hidden ditch)Another ridden on .
I stop and slow with a whoa and can steady a little with a steady .
Over
Good boy of course
Since I started driving I have been amazed how easy it is to voice train them .
I rarely use the rien to stop out hunting now I just say whoa and they stop nicer all round.