clicking joints...

seaview

Visit site
not sure where this post should be but here goes..
My mare (the one who has just had both her ovaries removed) and is 16 seems to have clicking joints whenever she moves at momant anywhere, I had noticed this last year too but tbh with everything that was going on with her and her tumours I figured it was the least of my worries, now not that she will be doing much I dont want her in pain, does this hurt, is it old age starting to creep up on her or can it be prevented, reduced, stopped???
sorry for so many questions guys.

Nat
x

miamibear

Visit site
This is usually attributed to air in the joint, a bit like us cracking our knuckles.

At that age i would consider a joint supplement to aid joint movement seing as you say its all of the time not just occasionally

Hope that helps

RachelB

Visit site
My 15yo Welsh Cob had clicking hocks, I wouldn't have been worried but she bolted every time they clicked (must have hurt her poor thing). The useless vet couldn't find anything wrong (had her X-rayed etc.). Gave Lily some Cortaflex and the clicking pretty much stopped! Well, we couldn't hear it clicking but by that time she had developed a bolting habit so we couldn't really tell! I have my new horse on apple cider vinegar as a general and joint supplement just in case. She is generally clicky like any horse or human, but if it got worse I wouldn't hesitate to put her on some sort of joint supp or glucosamine/ Cortaflex.

Tempi

Visit site
Bloss has clicking joints (well hocks) because she has windgalls in them. I feed her cortaflx which helps a bit, but they still click when i initially start riding her. I always walk her until i can hear that they have stopped clicking, which is usually around 10-15mins. I do suppling exercises like circles and leg yielding to help them to 'get moving' again.

(shes 13 by the way)
smile.gif

loopeepee

Visit site
I 'll ditto that - my physio says that clicking is due to air in the joints. Apparently everybody - humans and animals alike get it sometimes. I have it all the time in my knees, wrists, ankles, so dont worry about it!