Clifton Cognac sale

Polos Mum

Visit site
Genuine question - why would a top horse like this be advertised on the open market? I'd always assumed they would be sold by word of mouth if there are as good as his advert reads. If I win the lotto tonight I'll be calling as a very keen amateur !!

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
Reading between the lines of the advert it would appear thAt the owners are needing to pay of some of their legal bills pretty swiftly! It also doesn't sound like the horse will go beyond 2* therefore he's not really an awful lot of use to a pro and would be better suited giving a YR or Junior experience.

oldvic

Visit site
Because it's not a top horse. If you look up his record he hasn't competed since July 2013 and he has only jumped one clear show jumping round since he went intermediate in April 2012.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Wasn't Jock banned all last season? But I guess that was my question, isn't it obvious there must be something really wrong with him if they can't sell him at a good/ need to pay bills price to someone they know through the circuit?

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
No he did compete for half of last season, his ban was lifted in July I think. Cognac hasn't done anything since 2013 though. I doubt there is anything wrong with the horse. Its a big risk to take advertising a horse that publicly on your website, putting your name to it etc etc if its bu*****. At the end of the day there will only a certain sized pool of people who will buy that horse and it will still be on the circuit, with the Clifton prefix everyone will know who its come from if it all goes belly up.
I think the most likely thing is what the advert states, the owners need to release funds and the horse will never be a top level horse therefore its got to go.

SkewbyTwo

Visit site
No he did compete for half of last season, his ban was lifted in July I think. Cognac hasn't done anything since 2013 though. I doubt there is anything wrong with the horse. Its a big risk to take advertising a horse that publicly on your website, putting your name to it etc etc if its bu*****. At the end of the day there will only a certain sized pool of people who will buy that horse and it will still be on the circuit, with the Clifton prefix everyone will know who its come from if it all goes belly up.
I think the most likely thing is what the advert states, the owners need to release funds and the horse will never be a top level horse therefore its got to go.

Agree with this, and advert is clearly aiming him at lower level. He looks terrific and the effort and detail in there I really like, they are doing a horse justice when clearly his ability did not meet expectations. Good horsepeople. I hope he sells well and I feel he will, I am drooling over him!

DiNozzo

Visit site
Does anyone else find it odd that both adverts are long and rambling, and that Jock Paget is spelled Poget in the 'who to contact?' section?

Polos Mum

Visit site
My now retired big horse has 500 BE points when I got him, nice 3* record but just couldn't make 4* - I never did anything more than about 1.10 with him and he has been wonderful for 6 years - so nice to pop round a course of whatever thinking this is easy peesy !

If I had £20k and wanted to pootle about I'd look, I don't think they care at what level they are completing - my big horse was free though!!

showpony

Visit site
How experienced are you?? I'd love to take on something like him as a confidence builder over 90/ metre tracks that isn't spooky / a handful
My now retired big horse has 500 BE points when I got him, nice 3* record but just couldn't make 4* - I never did anything more than about 1.10 with him and he has been wonderful for 6 years - so nice to pop round a course of whatever thinking this is easy peesy !

If I had £20k and wanted to pootle about I'd look, I don't think they care at what level they are completing - my big horse was free though!!

Polos Mum

Visit site
How experienced are you?? I'd love to take on something like him as a confidence builder over 90/ metre tracks that isn't spooky / a handful

I'm a lot more experienced now than I was when I got him - he does EXACTLY what I ask so if I sit wonky I get shoulders in if I check too hard I get canter to halt, I now sit much more quietly and keep my leg and hands as still as I possibly can unless I am asking for something and when it all goes to pot I work out what I was asking inadvertently.

XC he's a machine, total dream would ride him at anything, in clinics we're always used to demo stuff I sit still and he carries me round with a huge smile on my face - couldn't recommend it more for confidence and FUN