Clipped all year round?

nomini

Visit site
I tried one year to clip in summer cos Jigsaw was getting so hot when I was riding him but he got sunburnt on his white patches
crazy.gif
so not tried that one again!

Loopy_laura

Visit site
i have thought about it my big boy is a hairy beast, and i try to keep him warn to stop it but it just grows!! i started cliiping on the 4th sept last year since then he has been clipped no less than eight times! and he is rugged to the eye balls!! drives me mad!!

Jay89

Visit site
I am going to try clippin all year round this year as Archie gets very hot. LAst summer there were times when we would be out for a gentle hack and he would literaly have sweat dripping from him and that wasnt because he was unfit just necause he gets hot!!

Scarlett1980

Visit site
loads of eventers clip on after their dressgae but before XC so the horse has a better chance to cooling themself down.

It's probably not great if your showing but if you work your horse hard and he has trouble expelling heat through his cout why not?!

L

lilym

me!! hairy native type cob, i like to show her and to maintain her coat at it's best and to keep her cool n comfy i clip her and hog her all year round.

catembi

Visit site
Our clipping lady says she clips loads of comp horses all yr round, but also says that she doesn't know why they bother as she hardly gets anything off them!! She thinks it's the current fashion / obsession. I have my Cushings mare clipped at the start of summer as she doesn't shed her coat, but my sports horse is fine as he is so I'm glad to save the money!!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ok, well I have one which events - he's a thin skinned TB type though, but of course does get hot if its a boiling day. Do you think he'd be better clipped?

And my other horse I know would probably prefer to be clipped all year round as he is a very hot horse generally. Only problem with clipping is that he is a native and we do some showing..... I assume this therefore would not be correct?

sojeph

Visit site
Not all year round but I clip my shettie in May usually as he's always really late losing his very thick coat and he swealters so he's just had a trace clip and will get a full clip in May.
We used to clip the show cobs all over all year.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not all year round but I clip my shettie in May usually as he's always really late losing his very thick coat and he swealters so he's just had a trace clip and will get a full clip in May.
We used to clip the show cobs all over all year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's something I may have to consider, after seeing the state he was in today after a walk I've decided to opt for a belly and neck clip, and maybe clip him out fully in spring.
Out of interest, how does your shettie cope with being clipped? Does he have any rugs on? G is in a l/w TO on cold / rainy days, and I was wondering if he'd need a thin stable rug on cold nights, or if it's just me being soft lol.

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I clipped P last summer for the first time and it was the best thing I did
grin.gif
He doesnt have a very thick coat but it is 'fluffy' and therefore with the hot weather he was starting to sweat and feel uncomfortable, so I whipped it all off
grin.gif
It was great, the only thing I had to be careful of was the sun, he is pinked skinned so he has to wear a UV rug when out in it!!!

maxebraith

Visit site
My old mare has cushings so i keep her clipped all year. In fact shes that bad i have to have her clipped every 6 weeks. Someone told me it could ruin her summer coat to keep her clipped but 1. i didnt take it as gospel and 2. i replied by saying she doesnt get a summer coat because of the cushings!! I would do what you think is right.

Nic

Visit site
The event yard I worked on clipped all year round but they were down south most weekends in summer so was generally a lot warmer.