Clipper advice please - WTF am I doing wrong!

Charem

Visit site
Evening all,

Due to my trusty Lister Neons having blunt blades I dug out my friend's pair of shiney new Liveryman Arena Pro Clippers. I adjusted the tension, oiled them up, went to clip my horse and the blimming things wouldn't work. I adjusted the tension once more, still no joy, so trid to adjust it again....

In the end I resorted to doing the tension as tight as I could, trying them, loosening it by half a turn, trying it again, loosening it another half turn, trying it again and so on until the blades pretty much fell off!

What on earth am I doing wrong? I've used Liveryman clippers before with success however this is the first 'brand new out the box' pair so i'm wondering if there's something that i've not done?

Oh and yes I did read the manual - no joy there either.

Help!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Have they been used at all? Brand new blades come with a film on them, and need to be washed with either clipper blade wash or surgical spirit otherwise tey blunt very quickly the first time they are used.
I found this out by experience when i first got my new clippers and blades, took them back to tackshop wondering why and they told me this. Since always washing new blades ive never had the poblem again!!

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
When u say they didn't work do u mean they didn't even turn on ? Or they weren't clipping properly ? If it was the later start with them very loose an then just turn them half a turn after trying an try find a tightness that works. This happend to me an that's the only way that worked.

Charem

Visit site
Liittlelegs-yes they do. They make the right sound too if that makes sense?!

Coat is clean and not that thick so they shouldn't struggle.

Blades are brand new too, no film, very sharp I have no idea what im doing wrong!

Looks like I may be buying some new lister blades tommorow, haven't got time to wait for my others to get sharpened.

Charem

Visit site
When u say they didn't work do u mean they didn't even turn on ? Or they weren't clipping properly ? If it was the later start with them very loose an then just turn them half a turn after trying an try find a tightness that works. This happend to me an that's the only way that worked.

No they turn on just fine, sound fine. Tried the tension million times over.
to no joy!

devonlass

Visit site
No help but I am having the exact same problem with one of the blades on my liveryman harmony clippers.

Other blades cut fine but this one they seem to run fine but won't cut.Just had them sharpened assuming that was the problem,but no still the same.

Luckily have two other blades so clipped horse fine (worked like a charm as ever with other blades),but am really perplexed as to why this one blade won't work:confused:

Do you have another blade you could try OP?? Just in case is a blade problem like with mine rather than a clipper problem.

Charem

Visit site
No help but I am having the exact same problem with one of the blades on my liveryman harmony clippers.

Other blades cut fine but this one they seem to run fine but won't cut.Just had them sharpened assuming that was the problem,but no still the same.

Luckily have two other blades so clipped horse fine (worked like a charm as ever with other blades),but am really perplexed as to why this one blade won't work:confused:

Do you have another blade you could try OP?? Just in case is a blade problem like with mine rather than a clipper problem.

They're not my clippers, belong to a friend. Think there's only one set but will ask just in case. Thanks.

Littlelegs

Visit site
It does sound like either the blades or tension. Have you had a good look at the tensioning out of the clippers, to make sure something isn't bent? If they are new clippers have you read the manual regarding first use? They often need oiling, then switching on to run for 5 mins before first use. And try cleaning & oiling blades again just incase. And what blades are they? Are you sure they aren't super fine ones that aren't up to a hairy first clip?

Charem

Visit site
I think they're fine blades, coat isn't thick (2nd clip), manual was of no help, blades are liveryman own and brand new, sharp and supposedly ready to go.

It must be the tension however I've tried every tension possible and am still stuck!

TheEngineer

Visit site
Did the blades have the word "LIVERYMAN" across the face of the large blade, or did the blades have LIA2 stamped on the blade? If they had LIVERYMAN on them, my advice would be to return them to Liveryman and request a replacement set. You could, if you want to confirm its a blade problem, use a set of Wolseley A2 blades on your liveryman or a set of Liscop LIA2 blades, as these will fit. It does sound like a blade problem to me!

Regards

Ian (The engineer)

meesha

Visit site
Friend borrowed my clippers and tried her blades which looked identical to mine and they wouldn't clip at all, put my correct blades in and all good, wonder if they have put wrong blades in with clippers ?