Clipper blade depth/guards when clipping dog - recommendations?

Visit site
Hubby just bought me a set of Liveryman Harmony clippers :D to clip off my ned's feathers (feather mites and suspected mud fever), mane hogging, bib-clips, and trimming our dog. But the clippers only come with a 1mm and a 2.4mm blade, and that's going to leave my dog more or less butt-nekkid! :eek:

So... does anyone know where I can get my mitts on a deeper cutting blade, like 4 to 5mm, or can I use the type of blade guards (like on hoomin hairdressing clippers) to get a 'longer' cut - as in longer hair left on the little beast?

ETA link to a set of blade guards from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002RBW...olid=3E40HJ2UGRRF1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The blade guards do work, albeit you'd never mistake the finished effect for a professional grooming job. We used to use the 1"/25mm blade guard to give our Cavalier King Charles spaniel her annual early summer clip. She was always much happier afterwards, and after a week or two she didn't look too bad either.

You can get longer cut oster blades for the Liveryman Harmony (good clippers, those), I've got the 5F blades (I think) but IMHO they would give too close a clip for a dog. They are good for winter feather chopping though.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got the Liveryman Harmony: and do the dog (hairy terrier) with them!

You need the fine blades, and you'll need to get a special comb thing which you clip on (a bit fiddly but OK once you get the hang of it) which will enable you to get a nice cut, not too close. If you PM me, we can then exchange e-mails, and I'll be able to send you a photo of the one I've got.

Or an excellent source of advice is to ring a company called Clippersharp (that's where I got the widget from, and the clippers); they'll be able to tell you what you need. They're based near Cullompton in Devon but do have a website www.clippersharp.co.uk

Lovethebeach

Visit site
And don't forget to clip the dog with the coat not against :) you can get no. 2 blades for dogs leaving 16mm, skip tooth gives a 'shaggier' look and is also good for getting the length off, no. 3 gives 13mm, no.4 9mm etc, I get mine from Masterclip.