Clipper De-sensitising

ktj1891

Visit site
Is and how can you de-sensitise your horse from being clipped.
My guy hates it and hes getting worse, we have to dope him with sedalin and twitch him to clip but hes still difficult and you have to be on guard.

I have bought Dormesdan this year and will see how that works but I would really like to try and make the experience better for everyone involved.

When I say he's bad I mean, he hates having his bridle path cut with scissors, his mane pulled or cut, he's head shy and its difficult to get hold of his ears (has a cyst so I have to clean it), he hates any rough brushing especially around his face. It's one of those situations where I either have to leave it all and not groom/tidy him or if I need to get it done quick sometimes I need to twitch- just to cut a bridlepath.

So you can imagine how sensitive he is with clippers. I just wanna try and make it easier and safer but to actually help him overcome his fear rather than dope him.

Any help?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Have you tried using an electric toothbrush to get him used to the noise and sensation? It's small enough for you to hold that and him without anything getting broken or damaged.

One of mine hates having his mane pulled, I get squished toes and ribs if I attempt it. So why put us both through that!?! I use a mane thinning comb to take the ends off which does the job for us. :):):)

Last edited:

Turks

Visit site
I have found horses enjoy the magic-brush on their heads which then helps to settle them and makes them less resistant to stuff going on up there. I'd progress with baby steps as best you can and holding clippers near head whilst doing something they like. What about the small head clippers that are v. quiet. They've helped me before. Good luck:)

WelshD

Visit site
Someone recommended to me to remove the blades from the clippers and hang them (switched on) in the stable whilst grooming

Merrymoles

Visit site
Is and how can you de-sensitise your horse from being clipped.
My guy hates it and hes getting worse, we have to dope him with sedalin and twitch him to clip but hes still difficult and you have to be on guard.

I have bought Dormesdan this year and will see how that works but I would really like to try and make the experience better for everyone involved.

When I say he's bad I mean, he hates having his bridle path cut with scissors, his mane pulled or cut, he's head shy and its difficult to get hold of his ears (has a cyst so I have to clean it), he hates any rough brushing especially around his face. It's one of those situations where I either have to leave it all and not groom/tidy him or if I need to get it done quick sometimes I need to twitch- just to cut a bridlepath.

So you can imagine how sensitive he is with clippers. I just wanna try and make it easier and safer but to actually help him overcome his fear rather than dope him.

Any help?

Are you sure you haven't stolen my horse?

I have the selfsame issues and this year have clipped my lad for what we think is the first time in his 11 year life.

I tackled the head issue with a soft rubber massage glove, rubbing it up his neck and round his ears when I first got him and he now actually likes it and leans into the pressure.

He hasn't got any better with mane brushing or pulling and I, too, use a thinning knife to take the ends off. He hasn't got a bridle path as there is no way I could do it but I do occasionally snip his beard off with scissors and that has improved over time.

I suspected he would be difficult to clip as he is very sensitive to noise and new things so I spent a week before running the clippers in his box (he ran round and round the first time) and progressing to where I could rest them on his bum. For the actual clipping, I had a good friend to help and did it fairly quickly but it is a very small clip at the moment. I was quite prepared to twitch him for the trickier bits but the minute he saw the twitch he set off round the yard dragging friend with lunge line behind him. His default panic mode is always to go up, hence the lunge line rather than tying up, and friend was wearing a hat.

Anyway, left him looking scruffy for a couple of days and then another friend held him and filled his face with fibre nuggets and I successfully whipped off all the tatty bits and made the clip a bit bigger.

My plan for the rest of the winter is little and often, as he does need a bit more off. He is a worrier and I want to ensure that it never becomes a huge issue for him but remains as something he will get used to in time.

My old horse was also a nightmare when he was first clipped but after a few years would stand and doze while I did him so I am using the same tactics with new horse.

Annagain

Visit site
This sounds very like my boy, although he's maybe not quite so extreme. I can clip 90% of him with nothing, but need to twitch / sedate for the nether regions, and top of neck/around ears. The problem I have is getting a twitch on him. He's a chunky 16.3 and uses every one of his many kgs to avoid it! I can't cut a bridlepath with scissors either. I can grab hold of it no problem but as soon as he hears the snip he goes mad! He hates being brushed but has improved with this, and with trimming legs and beard by using a pressure release type approach. I hold the trimmers /brush on him until he stands still then take them away and praise/treat him and gradually build up the time before taking them away.
Day to day stuff is now fine, but when it comes to clipping I just get the vet to knock him out and do everything in one go, including a willy wash as I'm not allowed to do that normally but he desperately needs it doing as he has melanomas. It's expensive, but I can't be doing with the hassle/danger or seeing him upset so think it's worth it. Weirdly he goes to sleep if I pull his mane, but he can't cope with the rest of it!

Last edited:

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I have spent the summer trying to desensitize mine, but its still work in progress and he needs clipping now for health reasons, so tomorrow I have to give him oral sedation before the vet can get near him with a needle for more sedation, and then a friend will whip his coat off while he is away with the fairies! I hope in time I can show him its nothing to fear - good luck with yours. :)

bakewell

Visit site
Using a massage pad made mine welcome the attention of slightly vibrating things much more. I pop it on now while they're having trims. They don't seem to register the sensation as intensely with the massage as "background noise"

ihatework

Visit site
I've tried and failed spectacularly to desensitise mine. She is majorly phobic about clippers (and anything else that buzzes, eg massage pads!) - fine and easy with other grooming/trimming though.

I tried with an electric tooth brush, but ended up with a fire breathing dragon, pinned in the corner of stable striking out!

Sedalin doesn't touch her. I get 20-30 mins on domosedan gel before I need to dodge hooves, or vet on standby topping up IV every 10 mins if I want a full clip.

Good job she angelic in other ways!

Visit site
It might not work if your horse is very sensitive with his ears but I find that most horses change totally when you put earplugs in. I have had wild demented beasts lashing out at me with all 4's and teeth one minute to quiet as a lamb the next once earplugs are in and the harsh noise removed from the equation. Then it's just a long grooming session.

ktj1891

Visit site
He lets me groom him everywhere its just on his face if he has mud and I have to be a bit rougher to get it off he protests and throws his head in the clouds so I can't possibly reach. Some days he has good days (not perfect but more amenable) and other days its just don't even go there. Sometimes I can hold his ear and clean cyst and cut bridle path without being there too long other times I just don't have the patience or inclination to go through the hassle and end up twitching. He didn't used to mind his mane being pulled too much but again its always a battle he doesn't mind me pulling a little but generally I use the thinning comb now.

I used to have a mini Wahl clippers that I would use on him but they died and he wasn't too bad with them a little snorty. I don't think its the noise of clippers so much as it is the sensation and vibration on his skin. Like he relates the sound of clippers to being clipped but I don't think that's what hes scared of if that makes sense.

Kikke

Visit site
My welsh cob mare needed to be sedated by the vet to get anywhere near with the clippers and afters a few year of this I thought 'this is ridiculous' I don't think it is healthy to dose up your horse everytime it needs clipping.
I bought a pair is liveryman harmony clippers because they don't make to much noise at all and went to work. the tips I used were "michael peace approach to clipping your horse" there is a dvd but if you put this into youtube you can see his 11 minute video. I did exactly what he did and she is lovely to clip now. sure she gets a bit nervous around her head but I can now clip her fully whitout a fuss and it only took me 2 weeks of sessions that where 10 min each. well worth it!

stilltrying

Visit site
I've tried and failed spectacularly to desensitise mine. She is majorly phobic about clippers (and anything else that buzzes, eg massage pads!) - fine and easy with other grooming/trimming though.

I tried with an electric tooth brush, but ended up with a fire breathing dragon, pinned in the corner of stable striking out!

Sedalin doesn't touch her. I get 20-30 mins on domosedan gel before I need to dodge hooves, or vet on standby topping up IV every 10 mins if I want a full clip.

Good job she angelic in other ways!

You appear to have my horse! I tried everything and i mean EVERYTHING. My pony loves me in his own special way, but he will kill me if i try and clip. Only way is iv sedation. Last time he had to have 4 x injections - apparently enough to fell a shire horse!

I haven't bothered for the last 3 years, its too much hassle!

ihatework

Visit site
It's definitely a PITA but in the grand scheme of things it could be worse. I do a rough & ready stifle-wither on domosedan twice, then spend on the vet to take it all off in February. Unfortunately she is too warm & fluffy and in too much work not to clip.

I'd rather a clipping issue than a shoeing/loading/travelling one!

crushclop

New User
Visit site
My mare being a youngster is/was pretty much the same. clippers are still a work in progress but I can cut her beard now and she just stands there like she really couldn't care less.
Basically I just started with holding scissors near her, let her sniff them and then we were able to move on to rubbing them all over her body. Then I gradually started snipping air near her so she got used to the sound and then managed to actually use them on her. (Bear in mind this was all done over the course of about 2-3 weeks, I never pushed her further than her comfort level.) Once it got to the point where she was starting to fidget I stopped and called it a day and gradually each time we were able to take it a step further. There is no point trying to push through with their stress because it doesn't work like that. Lots of praise and recognition and hopefully your horse will get used to them soon. Good luck :)