Clipper desensitisation

Cob Life

Visit site
I lipped last year with my andis clippers that are really quiet and he didn’t give 2 hoots.
I’ve brought some lister clippers this year which are louder. Any tips for introducing them?

He’s not keen on his head being clipped so I know I’m going to need to use the smaller ones for that.

I’ve got him a lick so hopefully he will be too busy with that to bother with the clippers as he’s ruled by his stomach!

Roxylola

Visit site
Start by the shoulder. Turn them on in your furthest hand, put your nearest hand on the neck/shoulder and stroke him, see how he reacts. Move the clippers closer, see his reaction, repeat a couple of times then with the clippers on the back of your hand. Then start clipping.
Obviously if he's worried or unhappy just work closer til he's OK, you can have them running while you brush etc if needed

Auslander

Visit site
Don't go in assuming that he's going to be bothered, or he'll think he needs to worry!

If he didn't give two hoots last year, I wouldn't expect him to be any different this year.

Cob Life

Visit site
Don't go in assuming that he's going to be bothered, or he'll think he needs to worry!

If he didn't give two hoots last year, I wouldn't expect him to be any different this year.

I don’t think he’ll be too worried, these are just much noisier, he stood like a dream for hours last year

hes scared Of silly things like unattended wheelbarrows and the cat but not of chain saws and blow torches!

Jellymoon

Visit site
He should be fine then, but placing the clippers on your spare hand while you stroke him is a good way of introducing them to clippers. Also, having them next to another (calm) horse while that one gets a clip is also good.
Lots of horses react a bit to having their chin clipped, I’d have another person on hand to hold them for that bit. I hate it when they suddenly jerk their head!

Cob Life

Visit site
He should be fine then, but placing the clippers on your spare hand while you stroke him is a good way of introducing them to clippers. Also, having them next to another (calm) horse while that one gets a clip is also good.
Lots of horses react a bit to having their chin clipped, I’d have another person on hand to hold them for that bit. I hate it when they suddenly jerk their head!
I’ve got a small battery set for his head, he’s not too bad until you get close to his ears, he’s a bit ticklish!

Cob Life

Visit site
I didn’t need to worry!

He gave them a funny look to start and a few quick steps sideways but was quickly won over by a horselyx which kept him busy and mr fidget stood like a dream the whole time!

He even let me do his head with them (though wouldn’t have his ears done so they were tided with scissors)