Clipper fail! Recommendations please

TinyTrigger

Visit site
My little Moser clippers were fine and really handy for my previous horses - light to handle, cool, quiet but powerful enough. Battery lasted ages.

They cannot, however, cope with hairy cob manes! Prev horses were TB's - these definitely can't cope with hogging fairly coarse cob hair so I need some new clippers.

I had ordered some cheapo, reconditioned clippers, just to hog, as the Mosers are fine with coat (as long as I don't let it get too thick before the first clip) but they were 'out of stock' and now I have had an email saying the company is going out of business. They have refunded my Paypal payment though.

So rather than buy a cheap set just to hog, I thought I might as well just get a new, more powerful set. I don't need very HW 'clip-20-horses-in-a-day' sorts as I only clip my cob. Coat, roughly twice a year but I hog and do legs every 3 weeks or so.

Any recommendations ? I was thinking of something like the Wolseley Swift ?

Last edited:

ginadrummond

Visit site
Hello

I have a hairy cob and have burnt out the motors in my last 3 clippers. 1 Heinegar Progress, 1 old Lister and 1 cheap ebay.

Not very much help I know but suggest avoiding those!

I think I'm going to pay someone to come out - he isn't even ridden any more, just gets mites and lice if allowed to get too hairy!

TinyTrigger

Visit site
Hello

I have a hairy cob and have burnt out the motors in my last 3 clippers. 1 Heinegar Progress, 1 old Lister and 1 cheap ebay.

Not very much help I know but suggest avoiding those!

I think I'm going to pay someone to come out - he isn't even ridden any more, just gets mites and lice if allowed to get too hairy!

Gawd! That's scary!

My chap isn't very hairy i.e no massive feather etc but his coat & mane/legs are quite thick and dense.

I think that is the issue actually - he almost has fur! It's not very long but it's ridiculously dense hair. Like touching a Samoyed! Really, soft and thick but not long and not really coarse coarse.. Very strange hair but he has quite mixed breeding so.. It's what I get for buying a Heinz57 cob (even if his 57 are quite posh!) :rolleyes:

_daisy_

Visit site
i love my Wolsley swift. they clip through the hairiest coats and never over heat. if you want cordless then i can highly recommend the heiniger cordless set, again go through the thickest coats without problems.
Ive got 5 and at least 2 are fully clipped every 3 weeks and never had any issues (yeah i know they arent hairy cobs but still get thick furry coats for their breeds but dosnt help they live out 24/7)

LadyRascasse

Visit site
my hauptner 2000's have clipped and hog hairy cobs, natives, tb's and ish, never struggled once. they are coming up for there 3rd year and still going really well. would recommend them to anyone

TinyTrigger

Visit site
Hauptner 2000 - are they the purple ones ?

The Swift's look really good - I have only one reservation with all of these (which I suspect I will have to get over) - I have got used to lovely clip in, pre-tensioned blades! Are there any bigger clippers that have these ?

ginadrummond

Visit site
Really like the idea of pretensioned blades - I never know how tight to do them (which may have something to do with the burn outs I suppose.

_daisy_

Visit site
ive never had an issue tensioning them. normally once the blades are secure on the clippers, i turn them on then turn the tension spring till the noise changes then loosen it off by about 1 & 1/2 turn and this is perfect

TinyTrigger

Visit site
ive never had an issue tensioning them. normally once the blades are secure on the clippers, i turn them on then turn the tension spring till the noise changes then loosen it off by about 1 & 1/2 turn and this is perfect

That's my way too :) The clippers I have been borrowing to hog are tensioned Hauptner (I think) ..

Just got used to clip in blades which = Attach.Clip.

Gilbey

Visit site
Never ever had a problem with Lister cordless. We have two rechargable belt batteries and clip away all day! They do get a bit hot, so it is wise to stop and have a coffee while they cool down. I have a hairy shirexdales and I use normal blades on him, but use surgical blades on my other two one of which is a warmblood. Makes for a super much longer lasting clip.

appylass

Visit site
I've got some Lister Liberty, love them, they are really easy to tension too, it's all spelt out for you what to do with marks on the tensioning screw etc.. I used to have some of the older Wolsley Swift and really liked them too until they were stolen. My local clipper man reckons the newer ones are not as good.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have Lister Liberty's - have done cob legs with them no probs.

To me, if you had pretensioned clip in blades, then you had big trimmers rather than clippers.

TheEngineer

Visit site
If you go for a Swift, get the newer MKIII version, which has the on/off switch on the rear left side and a slide out filter on the right. They use the same proven head that the older MKII used and will take A2/A6/A7 and "Leg Blades" At 90W power, they are ideal medium duty clippers, which if you have your blades sharpened correctly and clip at the correct tension, should give you years of trouble free use. Also they are quite quiet, due to the head being reinforced plastic rather than alloy and thus more suited to nervous horses. For thick coats a set of A6 blades may give easier clipping.

The engineer...

TinyTrigger

Visit site
I have Lister Liberty's - have done cob legs with them no probs.

To me, if you had pretensioned clip in blades, then you had big trimmers rather than clippers.

They are prob a bigger version of 'Trimmer' :) but they are a well known and popular and full size - clip a big horse, hunter clipped, in under an hour :)

TinyTrigger

Visit site
If you go for a Swift, get the newer MKIII version, which has the on/off switch on the rear left side and a slide out filter on the right. They use the same proven head that the older MKII used and will take A2/A6/A7 and "Leg Blades" At 90W power, they are ideal medium duty clippers, which if you have your blades sharpened correctly and clip at the correct tension, should give you years of trouble free use. Also they are quite quiet, due to the head being reinforced plastic rather than alloy and thus more suited to nervous horses. For thick coats a set of A6 blades may give easier clipping.

The engineer...

Thanks! Very helpful :)