Clipper oil alternatives

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is there something else I can use to oil my clippers other than proper clipper oil?

Ive been holding off but seriously need to clip a little cob out, he has skin issues and seems to be allergic to or at least very irritated by clipping, presume the oil.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ohhh....... I wish I could remember the name of it, but there IS another light oil that you can use.

Problem is I've forgotten the name of it. Friend spotted it at Wilkes. It wasn't WD40, but it was another oil.........

Dammit!! wish I could remember the name of the dang stuff, but perhaps someone on here will know??

Or you could pop into Wickes (or any builders merchants I guess, or online) and have a look. You can get it as an aerosol OR a can. Good for sewing machines too apparently!

fredflop

Visit site
3 in 1 will do at a push but I think I’d be wary of trying that with a horse that’s allergic to clipper oil

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine didn't like the Gold Label clipper oil, but does get on with Wolsey clipper oil. Of course it is more expensive, of course it is :rolleyes:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
It wasn't WD40, but it was another oil....

WD40 is not oil, it's a mixture of solvents and oil and should be used very, very carefully.

For clippers, you should be able to use any pure, light mineral oil such as sewing machine pills, as other posters have suggested.

You could also try asking a barber or hairdresser what kind of oil is used for their clippers.