Clipper Phobia Horse -Update

Cloud9

Visit site
Well I bought the Michael Peace DVD - watched it twice (much to OH's disgust). Decided to be brave and took him in the round pen (my horse not OH), did a bit of groundwork, got all my batterytrimmers/clippers around me. horse on end of lunge line - switched trimmers on and ...... nothing ..... no reaction at all - walked up to him - ran clippers all over his back and he did not move a muscle. I think he is having me on- clipped his freezemark off them tried to get near his head and ears- more of a reaction but nothing terrible - still did not move away of take any steps - just throws his head up and cranes his neck the other way. Might get a different reaction tomorrow but am gonna keep up the desenitization lessons!

Humble

Visit site
Perhaps your horse was also watching the DVD over your shoulder lol.
Seriously well done and hope he is still as good next time.

Cloud9

Visit site
Thanks. Hope so - not told YO yet that I now plan to clip him in the round pen (don't think it would go down too well!!!

itsmyparty

Visit site
Excellent! We also ordered the DVD and it arrived yesterday - will be trying it over the w/e ie in daylight! Hope we have the same success....

Cloud9

Visit site
if he is that good why don't you stand him on a tarpaulin in the round pen, then you can just roll it up with the hair inside and empty it on the muck heap.

Good idea - however in reality I don't expect him to be good!!! I have a sneaky feeling that rubbing the clippers over him he can deal with - its when they start to clip his coat he might start playing up. I think his good start maybe a fluke - however i am going to keep on with desensitizing him and hope for the best!! Thinking positive......

mcnaughty

Visit site
I read somewhere that you should clip them outside as they feel less threatened. Think it was a Monty book or Kelly Marks possibly....