Clipper recommendations? Liveryman Harmony's?

Bri

Visit site
Could anybody recommend me some clippers please?

I currently have Liveryman harmony clippers which I've been less than impressed with. They managed one full clip on a slightly hairy Irish Sport, and then a (very poor) blanket on a Fjord and now they've just given up on me half way through clipping a very hairy shetland. They had new blades at the start of the clip, are regularly oiled & brushed & haven't got hot but the blades have just stopped cutting. Have run them off mains & battery and makes no difference. Blades have been taken apart & washed with blade wash then put back together (correctly!) but they just wont cut.

Think they're just no match for a shetland coat so now need a recommendation of something a bit more heavy duty, that can handle thick coats & just get on with the job. Fed up of faffing around with clippers that won't blimmin' clip!

Thanks in advance :)

sychnant

Visit site
My Liveryman Stallion clippers have been amazing. Not sure if you can buy them new any more though, I have been looking for some so I can get an idea of what to sell them for (no horses left that need clipping)

They just go on and on - 2 blanket clips and 1 full clip in a day was their biggest workout with me, all on hairy monsters :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Is the Liveryman Harmony the ones with the flat-pack battery? I think those are what I've got and I'll agree they're as useless as a nun in a punch-up TBH.

They bummed these clippers up - which is presumably why we all bought them (I bought them for convenience, also as my boy can be a fruitloop doing his legs I thought it was safer to go with a battery-pack than mains!!!), but I wouldn't buy them again.

welshcobmad

Visit site
I've got the harmony on mains & they've never failed the past 2yrs to clip out my hairy section D. Last year though they kept cutting out whenever I clipped upwards, took them for repair locally & it was a cable fault apparently very common with them - now back to normal fine! I love them! Quiet, lightweight & do my boy easy 4 or 5 times a winter.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Iv got the Heiniger Handy Clippers and they have been brilliant. I only get my two sets of blades sharpened once a winter and do on average 10-12 clips between the two sets so they are pretty good. Never had any problems with them not going through anything, They came with fine and coarse blades too, so can use them on hairy cob coats and fine TB coats :)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I've got Liveryman Harmony clippers, had them for years. I bought the coarser set of blades that are about an inch wider than the set they come with and I can honestly say that I've never had a moments problem with them! I've clipped 6 horses so far this season and am going to clip many more. Clippers handle native coats fine though I've never clipped my shetlands. Do you groom the horse to within an inch of its life before you start clipping? I find that makes a huge difference.

Inchy

Visit site
Another vote for wolseley clippers!

Mine are about 9yrs old and still going strong, and I work them pretty hard - 5 full clips a day sometimes.

I do change from medium blades to coarse blades for lots of hair (ie. Shetties and other natives, trad cob legs, and hogging) can then go back over with medium blades if I need to. I don't think the motor of some clippers can handle lots of hair with medium blades!

4faults

Visit site
Had my liveryman harmonys for years and they were great. Did 16 clips with them last year. When I first got them the battery wire broke, I set them back to be repaired as they were under warrantee and they gave me a brand new set!

Apparently someone else thought they were pretty good too as they have now been stolen :-(

MinnieDuke

Visit site
have a set of HANDY heinigers - they are swiss made and cattle clippers so pretty hardy - had em 10 years never needed to service and only just had blades sharpened - but then i only use 2-3 times a year and I wash my horse before clipping its the dust that blunts the blades!!! pretty pricy but think i made a good investment - light and easy to use - good luck