Clippers for a novice

Visit site
Hi,

Going to give clipping a go myself (better time than ever, right!).

What clippers do people recommend for someone who has never clipped before. Cordless would be ideal but happy to consider corded.

I have a Dales Pony - not super hairy but has "pom poms" that need to come off due to mud fever.

Thanks in advance

Butterbear

Visit site
I have just bought the Masterclip Roamer HD. Not had my own clippers before either. Tested them out a couple of days ago and I'm really chuffed. My ponies weren't worried by the sound and made light work of one fluffy pony, who is now sporting a blanket style clip. Looking forward to getting going with the rest of them. Lady on the phone at Masterclip was very helpful :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
For what it might be worth, these are the cordless clippers I have tried:-

Liveryman Harmony: I have a set of these for my two cobs. Not very enthusiastic over them, and I certainly wouldn't recommend them for anything other than a light-coated WB or TB type or for trimming. I have two mammoth-coated cobs and they just aren't up to the job! Tho' are excellent for the dog!

Lister Liberty: I hired these from a well-known clipper-hire firm locally to clip my two cobs. Within 10 mins the battery had gone as flat as a dab! (this was in spite of being assured that it was fully charged) and then we had to run them off the mains cable, but this wasn't much good either, even my vet (who'd sedated my mare to do her teeth then the plan was to flick around her heavy feathers and get them off whilst she was "under") remarked that he didn't think they would last for much longer! Particularly worrying was the fact the clippers got very hot indeed after only a short period and we had to stop and let them cool down before we could proceed. The clipper-hire company did fully refund me for the hire, so that was good. But I'd never ever buy any of this type after the experience!

Sorry can't be more helpful. (Edited: meant to add that best thing - if you can - is to hire a set the first few times as this will give you an idea of what you like and what you don't! The other thing that might be helpful to you is to look on places like YouTube for some "how-to" advice. When Corona is over you could also ask a professional horse groomer to do yours and watch what they do - invaluable!). Don't worry if you get it wrong: the difference between a "good clip" and a "bad clip" is about a fortnight......... but just do be aware of having a go at your first clip a few days before a big event; I massacred my poor mare last year before her first pleasure ride/grown-ups party and outing into society........ just do be careful and pick your time right!

Last edited:
Visit site
Thank you both for your help.

On the basis that I don't think there will be any shows for a while, I thought the timing was right to to give it a go. At least if I do give him a bowl cut - it'll only be his field mates that judge him!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I have the Masterclip Roamer HD cordless ones. They are very good. My nervous coblet was quite good with the noise and my clip (my first ever) wasn't horrendous either. They are a little bit heavy but this is due to them being cordless and that's what I wanted but you soon forget as you concentrate on the clip :)

Kat

Visit site
Unless you have something with a very thick coat or a cob (and are likely to want to trim feathers a nd hog) I would suggest the liveryman harmony. Really easy to use with snap on blades so no need to worry about tension. Light weight and cordless.

I can do a hunter clip with them and several people on my yard have them. You wouldn't want to try and do a big clip on something with a thick coat, and they are slower than full size clippers but even though I have big clippers now I still use the liveryman harmony for tricky bits, like the face, near the ears, elbows, chest, between the legs etc.

HeyMich

Visit site
I've got the new Lister Liberty cordless clippers and they seem great so far. I've done 2 full clips (on very hairy yak-type coats), 1 hunter clip and several leg only clips (horse with skin problems) and I've only had to charge the battery twice. The blades are still sharp and the clippers are really easy to use, tension and clean. Happy with my purchase.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Heineger Xplorers! They are cordless. Bought them after recommendations off here and very pleased with them. Easy to use and make short work of fluffy native coats.

AFB

Visit site
I've had the Masterclip Rangers for probably 8 years or so now, clip one horse approx. 3 times each winter and still going strong - never serviced either...

The're not light or quiet so I wouldn't want to do multiple horses with them but they're powerful enough for a native (section D) and I would def. recommend for one/two horse owners

Cahill

Visit site
i have lister liberty and cobs,never had a problem.
get the best you can afford and they will last if looked after.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
OP you'll never get a definitive answer as everyone believes that the clippers they have are the best. Decide on how much you want to spend & then see what there is in your price range. Always consider if parts are readily available fore the ones you chose. Also consider the price of replacement blades. You really need 2 sets of blades because when one suddenly goes blunt you need another pair to slip in. I've got a set of Wolseley Swift clippers, I bought them around 20 years or more ago & they are still going strong, unfortunately they are out of production now.