Clippers - is it worth getting them serviced?

SpruceRI

Visit site
I've got a set of Lister Laser clippers. They're fairly old and I bought them 2nd hand off a friend.

Anyone know how much it would cost to get them serviced? They get very hot very quickly and I can really only do a bib clip before they get too hot.

I keep them clean inside, grease the cogs and oil them properly and clear them of hair etc, but I guess the motor is starting to wear out, does that sound right?

charmeroo

Visit site
Yes it is! I had mine done by Eddie Palin and I'm sure that it was only about £50 plus the postage to send them off. You could always phone them and ask about the cost though.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Certainly is. The blades will have microscopic wear which makes the motor work harder. The blades will need sharpening and smoothing and the motor and depending what action it has all needs servicing. I do mine once a year and change blades twice.

Tnavas

Visit site
It is worth having them serviced as they will last a lot longer.

One thing you can do to help them run cooler is to make a mix of Diesel and engine oil 50/50. If the blades are starting to get hot run the clipper blades in the mix, dip into it until the mix is just above the head adjuster. Then while still runnning tip in their side and allow excess oil to drain off, I have an old towek I use to carefully wipe the excess away before putting them back on the horse.

The best number I got from one set of blades was 25 clips - certainly has the clippers running more efficiently and keeps the blades sharp.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
It is worth having them serviced as they will last a lot longer.

One thing you can do to help them run cooler is to make a mix of Diesel and engine oil 50/50. If the blades are starting to get hot run the clipper blades in the mix, dip into it until the mix is just above the head adjuster. Then while still runnning tip in their side and allow excess oil to drain off, I have an old towek I use to carefully wipe the excess away before putting them back on the horse.

The best number I got from one set of blades was 25 clips - certainly has the clippers running more efficiently and keeps the blades sharp.

Good tip... that'll save me a bob or two ;) :D thanks Evelyn :)

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I have just got mine back ready for winter. I send them to HCS every year. They had new springs and bushes and serviced, posted back to me for less tham £50. They also replace the cable when nec especially if it has been trod on.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
Clipper servicing will cost you about £35-£50 and some kind of postage. (for a horse clipper) It is worth getting the blades sharpened at the same time. Most companies worth considering will do both. I'm not convinced about mixing diesel up and using it as a wash...if you open your clipper, you may find you have no grease on your gear or in your bearring because it has benn washed away by the diesel! Also, you'll probabkly find the motor board and armature commutaters have diesel on the which may cause an eletric shock!

Tnavas

Visit site
I'm not convinced about mixing diesel up and using it as a wash...if you open your clipper, you may find you have no grease on your gear or in your bearring because it has benn washed away by the diesel! Also, you'll probabkly find the motor board and armature commutaters have diesel on the which may cause an eletric shock!

This tip was given to me by one of the cavalry officers at the Royal Mews - I was clipping the Civil Service Riding Club horses one winter and he popped in for a visit and was laughing at me stopping, brushing and oiling the clippers every 10 mins or so. He gave me a pot of oil & diesel and showed me what to do. After that I clipped with them for 12 hours, only stopping the clippers to change horses.

The clipper blades are dipped in the mix, which washes out all the hair and dirty horse grease and the oil in the mix lubricates the blades. My clippers have done hundreds of horses over the past 20 odd years and are working as well as the day they were made. I recently lent them to the local equestrian centre who clipped several horses and using the mix remarked on how easily they were able to clip. I've now lost count of the number of horses I've clipped with this set of blades without needing to have the blades sharpened - it definately works.

The gear head is kept spotlessly clean with the mix, when I'm finished I run them again through the mix and then wrap the head in an oil cloth.

TheEngineer

Visit site
I will only pass one comment! "When you fill up with diesel,they give you gloves because diesel causes cancer, do you ewant to expose your horse to cancer?

This tip was given to me by one of the cavalry officers at the Royal Mews - I was clipping the Civil Service Riding Club horses one winter and he popped in for a visit and was laughing at me stopping, brushing and oiling the clippers every 10 mins or so. He gave me a pot of oil & diesel and showed me what to do. After that I clipped with them for 12 hours, only stopping the clippers to change horses.

The clipper blades are dipped in the mix, which washes out all the hair and dirty horse grease and the oil in the mix lubricates the blades. My clippers have done hundreds of horses over the past 20 odd years and are working as well as the day they were made. I recently lent them to the local equestrian centre who clipped several horses and using the mix remarked on how easily they were able to clip. I've now lost count of the number of horses I've clipped with this set of blades without needing to have the blades sharpened - it definately works.

The gear head is kept spotlessly clean with the mix, when I'm finished I run them again through the mix and then wrap the head in an oil cloth.

Steeleydan

Visit site
DO NOT DO NOT dip your clippers in diesel.
Years ago when I was a groom in hunt service we had a pair of Lister Lasers brand new just started doing this particular model, so yes years ago!!
The stud groom wouldn buy us proper clipper oil (dont no why we could get anything on the hunt acc) and told us to dip them in diesel very quickly they packed up. Sent them back to manufacture all the diesel had run back inside the motor and wrecked it. So we got them back then she insisted we use WD40, which again they packed up.
Ever since Ive been totally anal about not using WD40 and Deisel on my clippers, its just not worth it.
I send my Listers and blades to Clippersharp every year to be done with a detailed note on what needs doing to them and any problems ive had and thet always come back good as new. If you look after your clippers they will last years and years.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I considered it distasteful to contradict 'nearly 20 years of experience' but the TheEngineer saw fit to do so and so maybe I'll add my voice to that train of thought...

I see clippers that are dunked in WD40, diesel or excessive amounts of blade wash all the time.

This is what usually happens:

The grease from the gear is usually thinned down and then washes into the clipper. When its on the commutators of the armature it makes them run slow and the armature gets hot and eventually burns out if the overload switch doesn't kick in.

The clippers overheat because the grease on the gear is washed away and that causes excessive friction. Same effect as above.

Sometimes the grease from the bearrings is washed out which causes excessive friction and makes it harder for the armature to turn. Same effect as above but this way it wrecks the motor before you'd know there was anything wrong.

The thing is, without taking the clipper apart, you may think that there is nothing wrong but take the cover off and you may discover any number of potential faults which will be expensive to repair.

Because something hasn't happened yet does not mean it wont happen.

Tnavas

Visit site
I've had my current set of clippers for 15 years - they were second hand when I got them. They clipped around 50 or so horses each year until the past couple of years and then I retired from clipping - they go out on loan regularly and still do my own - a friend does them for me. They have been dipped in Diesel and OIL mix whenever used.

If you dunk them too deep or hold them vertical before you have allowed the excess to drain off then yes you may very well mess up the workings. Mine have been fine and these are the third lot of clippers I've used them on - my first pair in the UK for 10 years or so, sold before I left UK. The next set I used for eight years - they were second hand too and sold to a friend when I gave up horses for a while. Then finally the ones I have now. All have been used with diesel and oil mix and have been fine.

In NZ we certainly aren't given gloves to use when filling up with diesel - I buy the bottled diesel for using with the clippers as it is easier to manage.