Clippers- Lister or Heiniger

HopOnTrot

Visit site
My daughter's pony may possibly have Cushings (vets investigating) but anyway she has a very long thick coat and is struggling to cope, after an emergency vet visit at the weekend and a hastily botched clip with the dog clippers she is much happier but looks AWFUL.

I think I need either Lister Legends or Heiniger Xperience, I'm swaying towards the legends as Lister do a blade called the Covercote which is meant to leave a natural looking coat length of 5mm, pony spends most of her time out in the field but comes in for a few hours a day.

Pony is a LR that does PC with a small child so doesn't need to look like a show pony but likewise, does have to be seen in public.

We have mains power on the yard.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve had both brands.
The lister definitely have a better finish to the clip but they ran a lot hotter than the heinieger and for that reason I wouldn’t buy lister again.

Ossy2

Visit site
I just had a post out last week for cordless ones and on recommendations on that I’ve just treated myself to the Heiniger Xplorer found a deal on them to get under £400

Mynstrel

Visit site
Hubby does clipping and has several sets of heiniger, corded and cordless and I don't think he'd have another brand. Customer service is good too, the parts aren't expensive and they're all easy enough to take apart to service or replace parts if you know what's wrong.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have Heiniger progress and used other brands and I don't think anything has compared to the Heiniger ever, mine are quite old now as well but work perfectly.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Heinegers every time. I've used all makes of clippers over the years, I'd never buy Listers again.

The Covercote blades are used a lot by showing people who don't want a clipped look, but for your purposes a clip with any standard medium blades on a Cushings coat will leave plenty of hair.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
I have the xplorers & use the coarse set of blades on my welsh ds which gives a summer coat like finish which I find more forgiving as I’m not that practiced at clipping. Managed a hunter clip on my super furry pony in one charge. My other one used to be fidgety to clip with my corded clippers but she doesn’t mind these at all

ETA I clipped them in summer when it was super hot and gave them relief without affecting their coat

rextherobber

Visit site
I've got Heniger xplorers, they come with a set of cattle blades, which are quite useful for a Cushongs coat ( not needed once Prascend kicks in!) Henigers are great, I can do a full clip and an Irish or trace clip without the battery running out

Visit site
Never used Henigers. I've used Lister Lasers at the yard for years and have never had a moments bother with them, they don't get hot either but they are heavy duty clippers are expected to clip 10-12 horses in a row with just a quick change of blades for cold ones between each clip. They could probably clip 3 horses straight before they got too warm but I have plenty of blades.

We got a pair of Liveryman Black Beauty Clippers last season and whilst I love them but they run very, very hot after half a clip.

We also have a set of Masterclip cordless ones and I despise them. I only use them as absolute last resort on seriously hairy horses rather than trash my good blades as all of our blades are fine blades, the masterclip have medium.

whirlwind

Visit site
I’ll go against the grain a bit and say my favourite and most used pairs are the lister Liberty and masterclip HD roamer. Pro clipper doing approx 15/20 a week and these are both good quality machines that haven’t let me down. I probably use the listers slightly more (have a couple of pairs of these) as the battery is carried on my waist so not quite as heavy when you’re doing a few on the bounce but the masterclips are my go to for anything with a big coat and would be my recommendation if you just have the one horse to do. They also have awesome customer service and do servicing/ repairs if necessary in house in a good turnaround time.
As an additional bonus, if you were wanting to use the lister covercotes, these fit onto either of the above machines or the masterclip coarse blade is a near enough replica copy for a few £ less!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Another heiniger fan here. I have the Progress, and are used all year round to clip the cob, Shetlands, and thoroughbred. Bought about 14yrs ago and never had any issues, don't get hot
Guy who services them says they are the best made clippers.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
It seems the Heinger have it then. Hopefully I’ll have enough left after the vets bills to order some as the poor pony looks ridiculous with her current bowl cut!

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Just to throw out a different recommendation... my friend leant me some clipperman dragons cordless clippers for my mare when she needed clipping. They were wonderful and I bought a pair straight after and since lost my horse, but fully recommend them for hairy cob winter coat and clipping full feathers