Clippers, which ones?

Visit site
Good Morning everyone!

So I am thinking of buying some clippers as up until now I have always used my friends or have paid her to clip my horses for me - not that I mind this as her being a showjumping groom means my horse is clipped to perfection compared to my mediocre clipping! But now I have decided to buy my own, the question is which ones?!

A few people I know have given suggestions but all very mixed and my friend has industrial strength ones as she clips so many!

Any views on which ones I should get?!
Trimmers also!

EBHouse

Visit site
Love the Lister liberty, cordless makes life so easy when you don't have to worry about the cable or if you have no mains power where you keep your horse. Have used these a lot and they are nice and quiet too so if you have a spooky horse they are ideal. I think Lister do a set which include a trimmer.

Deltic Blue

Visit site

AmberThePony

Visit site
I used my friends sure clip clippers recently on my donkeys very thick coat and I was very impressed. Have now ordered some of my own!

huskydamage

Visit site
I have liveryman harmony they are quiet and can work off the mains or a battery pack. I used somebody elses big motor ones and they were so loud,heavy and vibratory! Plus the motor burnt out after 2mins lol I love mine much more comfortable to use but the negatives are probably not good for very thick coats (although fine for my nf x, they needed frequent de-hairing when attempting a shetland lol) and they have a flimsy plastic casing which breaks easily if you are a donut like me and drop them, (they are alot louder now!)

Last edited:

AmieeT

Visit site
I have Lister Stars that I bought last year, I love them- I'd used a pit prior to getting my own.

Left it quite late to clip and had a really dense coat, I had to swap the blades halfway through (glad I'd ordered a spare set!), but they managed it fine (obviously make sure to let them cool and keep them oiled).

Would definitely recommend them- I had great service from Lister regarding a query I had and when I sent the blades to be sharpened.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I have heiniger xplorer cordless clippers and they are brilliant. Easily do my big fluffy horse on one charge and considering the power they aren't that noisy. My friend has bought a set too since seeing mine.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There are loads of different clippers on the market & they all do a good job. Years ago I bought a set of Wolseley Swift clippers & they are still going strong now. They've never let me down & I had them serviced for the first time last year after about 12 years of owning them. They are designed for someone who has 1 or 2 horses, if you had a whole yard full you'd need more powerful ones.

Be prepared to spend a reasonable amount on them. There are several cheap makes on the market, available through Ebay etc & although these work fine to start with you will have problems getting replacement parts in the future.

AppyLover

Visit site
just picked up the Liveryman Harmony ones and theyve clipped 1 cobs feathers, 1 ISH x ID legs and then a full blanket clip on the cob as well and I think I only charged them once in between :)