Clippers

MillionDollar

Visit site
I am thinking of buying some clippers as i have a few horses to keep clipped this winter, and is too expensive to keep on paying someone to do this.

Can you please suggest the best brand/type of clipper, but that are also reasonably priced as i haven't got loads to spend?! And where is the best place to get them?

Also i will get a friend to teach me, but is it easy to clip? I always have nightmares about cutting the horse up or something, lol.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.
smile.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Lister Showman cordless are fabulous to use & run off a battery pack that you wear around your waist, or a car battery.
They are a full sized clipper, and I've done two full clips on one charge quite easily - but I have to say I'm fairly quick & the horses concerned had quite fine coats.
Don't worry too much about cutting the horse - obviously there are areas where you do have to be very careful indeed, but if you take your time & keep the skin pulled flat - the person teaching you to clip will show you- you'll be ok (& so willl your horses!)

severnmiles

Visit site
I had Liveryman Mustang and they wouldn't clip either of the two I wanted to clip at the time(they were brand new), complained and got a refund and bought Lister Neon and they are fabulous!! I think Lister are 'the' clippers, the boys use Lister for shearing the sheep too.

If you haven't got loads to spend try Ebay.

I find it easy to clip but then in my yard I only ever clip blanket or full so not too many lines, I haven't *touches wood* cut a horse yet. The head is always fiddly to do!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I just bought Heineger Handy clippers from Farmrite - paid £175 ish, with free postage. Company are very nice to deal with, even gave us a free (massive!) bottle of oil as we had a little problem ordering. Came very quickly.