Clipping a grey horse & marking out your clipping lines

FemelleReynard

Visit site
I'm clipping my grey this weekend, and being fairly inexperienced (and not very neat!) I'd like to mark out the lines I intend to clip first to ensure that they are straight and even.

On a dark horse I'd usually use chalk, but that won't show up on a grey, so what can I use?

I was thinking an eye liner pencil may work and wash off? Or is there anything else you'd suggest?

Thanks.

Annagain

Visit site
I used cheap face paint....then ballsed it all up and ended up having to take everything off anyway. Have taken everything off ever since! Lines are just too hard in my opinion!

Llee94

Visit site
Whatever you do, make sure your blades are a medium grade if you have a grey horse with pink skin. If you clip them with a fine you will end up with a pink horse and a clip that takes forever to grow out which isn't a very good look!
As for lines, I normally just follow the lines of the muscles on the legs. The front ones are easier than the backs for me. I would just use a coloured chalk to get a rough idea of where they should be.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Just clip one side then the other. As long as the front and back sections line up its fine. It's impossible to see both sides at once after all!

Cowpony

Visit site
you dont clip over it, you clip just under it so you can still follow the lines you've drawn.

I don't see the difference - if you have the precision to clip up to the line, you surely have the precision to clip the line itself. I was always taught that it doesn't matter what you mark with because it disappears with the clip. But I'm no expert as I usually take it all off :D

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I work on the basis that noone can see both sides at once but like to be fairly tidy. I do a blanket clip. I chuck an exercise sheet on and use a lipstick to mark out the corners, then just clip to join up the dots. As long as his backside is level from behind, the rest is never far off.