Clipping a youngster, wwyd?

Casey76

Visit site
My rising 3yo, is exceptionally fluffy, and shedding like nobodies' business.

However we are going through a warm spell at the moment, with daytime temps up to 19°C, and he is very itchy and uncomfortable (he is completely black)

Over the past two days I've spent almost 4 hours grooming him, with a rubber curry comb and a fulminator, and it hasn't made a dent in the fur (which is quite fine, but he is double coated and it is very dense).

Would it completely ruin his summer coat if I clipped him out now? Would you clip a youngster who is in no work?

neddymad

Visit site
I have clipped my 3yr old this winter. He is a fell pony and was getting hot and uncomfortable. I have taken out his bib and belly and he so much more comfortable.

Fides

Visit site
Tbh I always clip as soon as they start to shed! CBA with brushing it out any more...

flirtygerty

Visit site
If he lives out I wouldn't clip, the temperatures could still fluctuate, leaving him cold, mine are still rugged at night but naked through the day, but they are 20 yrs old, my youngster has been unrugged all winter and isn't shedding yet

rara007

Visit site
Most horses coats won't be ruined by a clip just as they're starting to shed :) Mine are always clipped about now and always have fab coats. A horse that's getting hot and sweaty daily is more of a reason to clip than hot after work when they cool down later IMO

MrsNorris

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't, but if you do, it may well affect his summer coat. If you take it all off it probably won't be as noticable, I once did a late tracer clip on my horse and you could see the outline for ages after his summer coat came through. Never again...

Spoiled cob

Visit site
I always clip my cob at this time of the year. He retired last year and I was going to leave him hairy but he was sweating etc and his coat felt horrible so he had a blanket clip. He has now started to shed so it's all coming off today as he is incredibly itchy and I don't think it's fair to leave him like that and I don't want all my fencing ruined! He is in at night and in during bad weather and has an extensive rug collection though. It has never ruined his coat, he always has a lovely shiny summer coat. Think it just depends on the individual. My other horse was clipped in November and it hasn't grown out and he isn't shedding.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Don't clip him, he's not in work and if you do it will be bound to snow next week. (Well it always does for me anyway)