Clipping advice

Nari

Visit site
I am not good at clipping nicely despite my Welsh being an absolute saint. Last year he ended up with several areas having a patchwork effect, and since the clippers and blades were new that just leaves operator error. The blades that came with the clippers are fine blade and someone mentioned it may be easier to get a good result using medium blades, is this right? He was clipped in the past by an experienced friend with fine blades and there was no problem, but she knew what she was doing. Also what's the difference between medium and coarse blades since they both leave the same hair length? He doesn't grow a long thick coat for a native, but it is dense over his quarter. I'd just like to avoid the patchwork effect!

Summit

Visit site
Medium blades would be better suited, fine blades cut close the skin. I only use fine around the face. Plus its practice too. I watched loads of YouTube videos to help

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I accidentally used fine blades (1mm cut) on my mostly white coloured mare this summer. It was not a good look - lots of pink skin on show! No pics as it was too embarrassing. My medium blades (which I had intended to use) leave a 2.4 mm cut.

This clip on my other coloured mare in June was done using coarse blades, you can see the clip lines on the right side of her belly. Not the neatest, but practical for an old lady. These were Heiniger coarse blades, which leave a 3 - 4 mm cut.

826A9851-8320-4E6D-B5A6-D1FC0DC2653B.jpeg

albeg

Visit site
I clip my grey with fine blades, if you clip against the hair first, overlapping each line by a decent amount, then go over and back in different directions, I find the lines aren't as bad.

You can see some lines on his neck in this, as he's growing his coat rapidly at the moment I didn't worry too much, two weeks later you can just about see that he's been clipped, but I'll be more precise as we go into the winter.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is what it looks like if I'm really precise with it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
So. I am clearly thicker than I realised. So fine/ coarse blades are about how much hair is left behind not the type of hair you are clipping?

I had always thought you needed coarse blades for wiry cob etc etc. Feeling stupid.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
So. I am clearly thicker than I realised. So fine/ coarse blades are about how much hair is left behind not the type of hair you are clipping?

I had always thought you needed coarse blades for wiry cob etc etc. Feeling stupid.
You’re on the right track :).

Product Description
Heiniger coarse clipper blades leave 3-4mm of hair and would be suitable for the following:

• Clipping cattle
  • Tough clipping conditions with horses eg cushings
  • Clipping feathers

irishdraft

Visit site
I always use fine blades but this is mainly because the clip lasts longer especially when.it's growing fast . It's difficult to get a perfect finish straight off but I find if you give them a good going over with a hot cloth this does clean them up nicely. Usually in about 5 days any lines have disappeared. The medium blades leave more hair so lines aren't so visible basically. I keep coarse blades for clipping off feathers.

Nari

Visit site
I can live with lines being less visible, and since I have clippers and he's so good to do I don't mind if a clip doesn't last as long - it would mean I got more practice too! From the sound of it his coat isn't heavy enough to need coarse blades so I'll just order some medium ones.