Clipping advice

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I’ve bought battery clippers (liveryman harmony wide blade) to do my first clip as no power where my horse is kept. I’ve had them a few weeks but left it as it turned colder. My horse is getting sweaty in fairly light work so time to try a bib clip. Any tips? I’ve never clipped before.

(horse is a Cleveland Bay x ISH so not super hairy - glad it’s not my Shetland that I need to tackle!!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Get the coat as clean as you can so good groom and coat spray helps blades glide through the coat, draw your lines on with chalk if your not used to doing them ad lib, have a spare set of sharp blades in case they go blunt, clean and oil your blades about every 15 to 20 minutes whilst clipping.

jnb

Visit site
As above. Clip against the growth of hair, overlap the strokes to avoid tram lines. I found it difficult to avoid then with the snap on blade type of clipper like the Harmony, especially on a grey, so I swapped to Lister Liberty ones.
Oil the blades frequently and check the temperature on the back of your hands, either swap blades when they get too hot or take a break while they cool.
Wear a waterproof coat and jeans or something that doesn't catch the hair, you'll be finding it for weeks if you wear fleece!
once finished groom the horse well to remove loose hairs and sponge over with hand hot water to remove grease then rug up with warm fleece for 10-30 min to dry off, then remember to rug to compensate for how much hair you have removed.

Visit site
Firstly - has your horse been clipped before? If so is he good?

Regardless of what clip I am doing (I tell a slight lie here I only ever do full clips but the theory is the same) with the clippers turned on I hold the head collar in one hand and run the clippers up the shoulder - blades away from the coat so I don't start cutting it - to test the horse out and gage it's reaction. Some don't like the noise, some the vibration, some don't care. If your horse is happy with the blades wiggling over the shoulder area then wiggle them along to where you want to clip then off you go. Blades flat to the skin, don't dig them in point first you will just piss your horse off. I tend to have let go of the head collar by this point as well.

The theory behind starting on the shoulder - it's harder to be bitten, kicked or crushed when there as you can see the whole bodies reaction and run like buggery if they don't like it!

I oil blades every 10mins on a hairy horse as it will be hard work for them and they will get hotter quicker.

Are you taking off some of the head or just going up to the jaw? Some horses really don't like having their jaws done so just be careful. It also takes a lot of pulling and fiddling to get clean clips around the throat/jaw. Don't worry too much about getting every single bit underneath the elbows/between the front legs as unless your horse is a good one for waving their front feet in the air no one will see that bit anyway!

Pippity

Visit site
And don't wear a bra it will get hair in it and you will have to chuck it away afterwards as you will never get the hair out of it.

Or any vaguely fleecy clothing. I reluctantly had to reduce my favourite sweater to cleaning rags after accidentally wearing it for clipping.

Now, I stick a waterproof jacket on before clipping.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Firstly - has your horse been clipped before? If so is he good?

Regardless of what clip I am doing (I tell a slight lie here I only ever do full clips but the theory is the same) with the clippers turned on I hold the head collar in one hand and run the clippers up the shoulder - blades away from the coat so I don't start cutting it - to test the horse out and gage it's reaction. Some don't like the noise, some the vibration, some don't care. If your horse is happy with the blades wiggling over the shoulder area then wiggle them along to where you want to clip then off you go. Blades flat to the skin, don't dig them in point first you will just piss your horse off. I tend to have let go of the head collar by this point as well.

The theory behind starting on the shoulder - it's harder to be bitten, kicked or crushed when there as you can see the whole bodies reaction and run like buggery if they don't like it!

I oil blades every 10mins on a hairy horse as it will be hard work for them and they will get hotter quicker.

Are you taking off some of the head or just going up to the jaw? Some horses really don't like having their jaws done so just be careful. It also takes a lot of pulling and fiddling to get clean clips around the throat/jaw. Don't worry too much about getting every single bit underneath the elbows/between the front legs as unless your horse is a good one for waving their front feet in the air no one will see that bit anyway!

I was thinking bib clip so ending before the head. The horse is good to clip - I took her to be clipped last year and she was great.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll not worry too much about her armpits!!

Pic of Maggie clipped by a pro. I don’t think she’ll be look this smart after my attempt...

4E18BF65-0FE7-406E-BD40-921760E69F6C.jpeg

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Or any vaguely fleecy clothing. I reluctantly had to reduce my favourite sweater to cleaning rags after accidentally wearing it for clipping.

Just thought I own a waterproof boiler suit - sounds like that’s my clipping outfit. I’m glad I asked as I could well have been in a fleece.

Visit site
God yes! Your clipping outfit is FAR FAR FAR more important than anything else! I am trussed up like a ninja when I clip! Waterproof trousers, leather boots, old waterproof jacket with the cuffs well and truly tightened around my wrists, buff up over my nose and ears, baseball cap. All of this is designated clipping only wear. And ever done up to the nines I still end up with hair everywhere! Trust me there is NOTHING worse than getting a horse hair wedged in your nipple like a splinter! Took 4 days to dig that bar steward out!!!!

As for bib clips - remember you can always take more hair off but you can never put it back on! Unless you get the superglue out ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Good idea! I wear waterproof trousers and an old wax jacket, B & Q do the paper disposable suits that work well for clipping as well.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
God yes! Your clipping outfit is FAR FAR FAR more important than anything else! I am trussed up like a ninja when I clip! Waterproof trousers, leather boots, old waterproof jacket with the cuffs well and truly tightened around my wrists, buff up over my nose and ears, baseball cap. All of this is designated clipping only wear. And ever done up to the nines I still end up with hair everywhere! Trust me there is NOTHING worse than getting a horse hair wedged in your nipple like a splinter! Took 4 days to dig that bar steward out!!!!

As for bib clips - remember you can always take more hair off but you can never put it back on! Unless you get the superglue out ??

I remember the hair in nipple saga :)

Leam_Carrie

Visit site

I had no idea of the perils of clipping. Feeling a little nervous now! I thought worse case was a horse with an embarrassing hair cut.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a set clipping outfit, albeit joggers, polo shirt and kagool, even down to the knickers! I do not wear a bra. The clipping clothes are washed on a wash on their own, with the drum put on a clean wash after- it's frustrating having so few things in a wash but no way am I having any other clothes contaminated!

You're lucky she is good, if she's a bit twitchy, try popping some cotton wool in her ears- following a fab tip from @Elf On A Shelf re the noise usually being the biggest issue for nervy ones, I can now clip my Welsh D, who I usually just did vet sedated, up to half way up his neck (he's head shy so don't expect to get further) and do a hunter clip on him- the first 2 times I used cotton wool in his ears, he was great until the 2nd time when he was great for the actual clipping then was a complete tit over removing the cotton wool so went round with a piece in one of his ears for a week- fortunately it fell out on its own as he wasn't having any of it ?

Last time I used one of those sound reducing fly veil things as I could just grasp it with the bridle to remove, and on the whole he was good- who knows if he will deign to wear it next time!!! I hate the things but if it works I can bring myself to use one for clipping!

First clip I did I just drew the lines on with chalk and had an assistant- now I just do it on my own, I prefer doing it alone as I can just zone out, I actually quite like clipping when he's behaving.

If it looks a bit dodgy, it won't be long before it grows out! I still suck at leg lines, not helped by him being a bit funny from the shoulder forward

Pippity

Visit site
Just to reassure you, it really isn't that complicated! If you end up with it a bit lopsided or uneven, you can just try again the next day. (Or do what I do - shrug and figure that I'm not going anywhere where appearance is important.)

And there's something EXTREMELY satisfying about watching all that hair smoothly fall away.

Pedantic

Visit site
And don't wear a bra it will get hair in it and you will have to chuck it away afterwards as you will never get the hair out of it.

Being a Bloke, I wear a boiler suit, and have the bottoms go over my wellies, or you end up with socks and wellies full of fur, I only wear a Bra on special occasions.... but thanks for the tip :D

22473479_2019777138302869_998319237_o.jpg22494613_2019776218302961_1099585650_o.jpg

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Really appreciated all the tips. Biggest challenge was working out how to change the blades.

Horse was fab, she just wanted to doze off. Clippers are very quiet.
Doing a bib was plenty. I could get carried away - @Pippity seeing the hair come off is very satisfying.

The end result is ok. It’s not identical, but close-ish!!
A912F4F2-BE4A-4F07-B5A9-DCA7308BAA32.jpegB61B258C-02E6-4DE2-ACEC-A367EF0385EB.jpeg

(I think you can see the Shetland in one shot who wanted to join in)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Being a Bloke, I wear a boiler suit, and have the bottoms go over my wellies, or you end up with socks and wellies full of fur, I only wear a Bra on special occasions.... but thanks for the tip :D

View attachment 63008View attachment 63009

I will save you one of my hairy ones to borrow if you like:) look at you with your very straight lines I am impressed.