clipping cobs legs!?!?

Drummer

Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for some hints and tips on clipping my maxi cobs legs. Untill this year I have never been able to get near him with clippers especially not legs and hey now I can!

But I am so used to using scissors to keep his hairy legs in order I am now abit stuck with the clipping of them. In the winter it is fine as the whole lot comes off. But when I was doing them at the weekend I became a bit stuck as to where to stop and how to blend in around the front of the legs???

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

B

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Just replied to your post in the Competition section
grin.gif

sugarnspice

Visit site
I'm presuming that you have taken all his feathers off, if not just ignore this next bit!
smile.gif

What I do which seems to work quite well is take a pulling combe and scissors, then, with the pulling comb, run it up their leg and tilt it out at a slight angle and then snip the fur that is between the teeth. Hope that makes sense!

maxebraith

Visit site
Thats how i clip my cobs legs with pulling mane and scissors. make sure the scissors are sharp enough tho (you'll be surprised how many people ive seen trying with blunt ones!!) but mind fingers horses legs etc. I always have someone holding my horse too just to be on safe side.

parsley

Visit site
I clip as much as i want to using a pair of clippers then I use OH's hair clippers with a comb attachment to blend it in at the top. They are really good without the comb for doing the heel area.

Beanyowner

Visit site
Hey I have a maxi cob too!!!
I always clip the leg and blend up at the top of the knee as there is usually a natural shadow there which helps to hide it slightly. Takes some practice but am sure you will get the jist!
laugh.gif

Do you show att he BSHCRHA shows then??

Drummer

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your tips, I will have another look and play around tonight!

He/she is lovely Beanyowner how big?

No I dont, just local stuff at the moment. We have just spent the last few years messing around and trying everything he has just turned 9 and really coming into himself now and looking right as spent a few years being a bit gangly and not in proportion, bless him!

I would like to get into showing more especially now as the maxis are becoming more recognised.

Are you with them?

Beanyowner

Visit site
'He' is 16hh...called Benson. We only started the BSHCRHA shows this year and he has turned 9 this year too. The penny has only really dropped in the last two years and only got transport at the end of last year.
I did hear a rumour flying around at Royal Bath & West that the Maxi's will be able to do the working cobs next year which will be briliant. Also a rumour was flying that there will be RIHS and HOYS and possiby Olympia qualifiers for the maxis too...don't know when that will be implemented though. Was going to email the secretary at the BSHCRHA and ask what plans there are for the Maxis so will let you know if you like!!
laugh.gif

becky17

Visit site
on my cob i also go down instead of up, he has very hairy knees so i go past them n blend in just above them!!!
Good luck!