Clipping conundrum (sorry!)

Casey76

Visit site
I’m really dithering at the moment.

I had decided to not clip Tartine this year in the hopes that it would reduce the rugging a bit as she was really uncomfortable for so much of last winter (despite relatively mild weather). However, as I now have a sharer for her, she is getting much more exercise than last winter, and as she has a very thick coat, is getting very wet in just 30 mins.

Until now, it’s been mild enough to just throw a cooler/stable sheet on after exercise to dry her off, but our weather is changing next week, and it’s going to become much cooler.

She is difficult for me, as I don’t like rugging too much, but due to her PSSM I need to keep her really warm, as she really feels the cold and is uncomfortable if she gets chilly. Unfortunately she is also really overweight (though I’m hoping that with Emma riding her regularly that will improve too!) due to reduced exercise since I hurt my knee :rolleyes:.

So, do I persist in trying to leave her furry and coping with wet fur, or do I try a bib and belly or low trace/blanket clip and be prepared to rug up again?

At the moment is is out naked, and only has a stable sheet on overnight if she has been worked (daytime temps are still in high teens during the day)

1540118969894.jpeg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it depends on whether she will be stabled after the person rides her or does she need to be turned out.
and once she is dry is there anyone to change the rug (living on site has always made that possible for me, am aware it's not doable for lots of other people!)

Presumably as it gets colder (as you said been really mild currently) she will sweat less anyway>

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think hang on until it gets colder as she probably won't sweat as much so won't need clipping, if she is just do a bib clip then she won't feel the cold so much.

be positive

Visit site
I would take some off of her front, a bib at least so she is going to be easier to dry or may not sweat so much anyway and see how she is without a rug to start with, with her condition, both the weight and PSSM it should do no harm as her main muscles will still have a full coat, if she requires more off later then scale the clip up as appropriate for her workload.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo had to be kept warmer than I'd like. I fully clipped him then made sure he was rugged appropriately. I also had a back on track exercise sheet which went on as he was unrugged and stayed on for work. That kept all the main muscle groups warm.

joosie

Visit site
My mare has a bib and belly clip and lives out naked. It's enough to stop her from getting too sweaty, even after a 2hr hack with lots of canters, but enough hair left to keep her warm. In 3 winters I only needed to rug her for a total of 4 days! This is in Normandy by the way so probably not dissimilar to your weather.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would chaser clip this what I do with mine who are autumn hunting and living out I then use a no fill rug in wet weather .
It works well .
It does horses with thick coats no good at all to get sweaty regularly going into winter .