Clipping/cutting feathers off a scared horse

Rachel-Louise

New User
Visit site
I apologise now to all the feather loving members out there haha! I promise I was once one of them. But I've had issues with my gypsy cobs legs.. Mud fever, feather mites, lice. And I've had enough! And so has he. He hates me picking out his feet to the point where he almost squashed me against the stable with his back side. And I've lost my confidence with him. I want his feathers off to make him more comfortable. But if he won't even let me pick out his feet without kicking out every so often, or swinging his backside when I try to go near when he's had enough.. what am I supposed to do?! He hates clippers. And won't stand long enough for me to cut with scissors as they're so thick!

I really don't want to pay out for sedation every time I want to clip/cut them. Because it's not cheap! What can I do?!

ruth83

Visit site
If you're dead set on taking them off, I would have him sedated for at least the first clip. Then treat any underlying issues,, which should help to make him more comfortable, before spending some time working to help him become more confident in allowing you to handle his legs.

coss

Visit site
i would try domosedan gel to sedate for the initial clip. Hopefully once he's more comfortable you can work on desensitising so future clipping is easier

Shay

Visit site
Echo that. Sedate heavily to get them off the first time. Then you are going to have to work on clipping every few days until he can come to accept that it won't hurt him. You don't have to do much each time - but you have to be absolutely committed. If you can, run clippers over his legs every day. Once he settles don't let the feathers get too long again - it is harder to clip and will pull the hairs - undoing all your hard work. It go over my cob's feathers at least every week - simply to keep on top of the job. It doesn't take long if you do it absolutely regularly.

SEL

Visit site
I share your pain! As soon as the mud is bearable my big lad is being sedated and feathers off. He was lightly sedated for something else recently and I took a pair of scissors to a mud deadlock and he nearly squashed the vet - so it's going to be full sedation for feather removal.

He looks awful with his legs shaved but he's putting holes in himself itching and is going to bring the fencing down soon.

emfen1305

Visit site
Echo what others said, sedate to get them off and then work every day on getting him used to them. My lad used to be absolutely terrified of the clippers going anywhere near him so started small and cheap with an electric tooth brush, then a ladyshave and then I bought some of the those little wahl dog trimmers and popped the graders on so I could actually keep on top of his legs and then finally moved to Wahl Avalons as they are cordless so no need to worry about anything being stood on. They do a full clip including hogging which is a bonus. He is completely fine with any clipper now but it did take us a long time to get there - especially at the start, it was an everyday job! Good luck, horrible to see them itchy, I have to keep on top of my lad's greasy knee otherwise it drives him mad!

AFB

Visit site
As others have said, get him sedated and get them off first time, then use the time they're regrowing to desensitise.

Also work out what is it he dislikes about the experience, (the noise, the vibration, that area of his body being touched) and you can work on that specifically.

C1airey

Visit site
Yep, sedate. Bear in mind that the skin may be painful underneath, so some of his aversion to having his legs handled may be because it hurts. I'd sedate for as long as it takes to get the skin healthy again and then work on desensitising/reducing the sedation until he learns that having his legs clipped is no big deal. Also, think of how weird it must feel for them to suddenly be able to feel cold air on a leg that's been hidden beneath a blanket of feather - it must be such a shock!

Once you've got the feathers off, I find that it's quicker to go over them regularly with trimmers and a guard. Less scary noise for a nervous horse and no worry about getting tangled in power cords either.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
agree with above nothing more dangerous than trying to clip legs on a scared sore horse, once they have settled down you will probably only need a mild sedative or nothing at all, the 2 times I have been kicked was clipping not worth the risk.

sjward

Visit site
My mare exactly the same. I paid out to have sedated first time and clipped whole lot off. Mine hates her feet picked up but getting better by picking feet up every day and treating her. At first I didn’t even pick out her feet just lifted foot then put it down, moving on to a quick pick with hoof pick. She’s still not great but i’m managing things by getting mite injection as soon as she stomps her feet. Every Saturday I was her legs thoroughly which can take ages but it’s only once a week. I find easiest way is to fill large squishy bottle with warm water and shampoo and squirt down legs just wash as much as you can and then rinse. I can’t dry her legs so leave her in to dry overnight. Sunday morning put Pig oil and sulphur in a bottle with a long nozzle (like you get for hair dye) and soak her feet and sore bits as much as you can get nozzle to the skin. Test pig oil & sulphur to make sure not allergic.

None of the above is easy with a grumpy horse who squashed you. First time I washed & oiled I barely got legs clean or oiled but by time feathers were growing back we’d got it down to about an hours process for each day. Still long time but it’s working as not had to clip again & she’s not sore.

Hope that helps. I feel your pain.