Clipping different lengths?

Pippity

Visit site
For winter, I normally leave my cob's legs and head hairy and clip the rest of her out with 2.5mm blades. However, she's still getting sweaty at the moment with it being pretty warm. I'm reluctant to take her down to 1mm all over because I'm pretty sure that would be overkill. How ridiculous would it look if I gave her a 1mm Irish clip, with the back at 2.5mm and her head and legs in full fluff monster?

meleeka

Visit site
It depends on how often she’s seen in public ?. Seriously do whatever you think she’d be happiest with.

My shetland was clipped recently in a sort of chaser clip but I ended up taking the top off with the lay of the hair to keep it longer. It’s been around 3 weeks and you’d never know. His coat is just a shorter version of what it would be normally. I never take legs or head off.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Today was the last warm day for a while ☹️ So there's no great rush.
I was thinking of doing mine but he got rained on.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
1 mm is very short... I used 1mm once by mistake :oops: (I'd forgotten that I'd even got any fine blades). Poor horse, who has a lot of pink skin, looked bald. The vet laughed at her and me when she came out soon after!

My usual blades leaves 2.4 mm, which is perfect. I've got coarser blades than that, too.

catkin

Visit site
I have done something similar with fellboy - neck and shoulders with 2.5mm blades, rest of body except a small blanket over back with 5mm covercote blades. It looks fine.
My reasoning for doing it was to still have some fur to minimise any annoyance from flies, he does get a bit fractious, and the blanket over his back muscles so can leave off rugging as long as possible. This reasoning may be completely wrong of course, be interested to hear others views. I also have my own clippers so can redo at will.