Clipping horses with thick coats/number of times blades can be sharpened...

Vickijay

Visit site
Hi,

For years I have had thin skinned, thin coat tbs and now I have a hairy!! She blunted my freshly sharpened fine blades within about 1/4 of her.

So should I buy course blades? Is that what you use to clip thick coats off? Or could it be that my fine blades have been resharpened too many times? I have used them for a good few winters and they have been sharpened regularly.

Course blades or new normal ones.... Thoughts?!!

Thanks

Vicki and HAIRY DOTTIE!!!!

Littlelegs

Visit site
If its really thick & coarse hair, use the coarse a2 blades. Then if you want a closer clip, redo 2weeks later with fine blades. I have a set of lister blades that must be 15 + yrs old, usually sharpened at least 2/3 x a year still going strong so doubt its that. And it does depend on the clippers too. Friends cushing pony blunts blades halfway through on anything but heavy duty clippers. Plus if you aren't already doing, make sure coat is grease free. Nothing blunts blades like greasy thick coats. Either bath, or hot towel right to the skin with a cap of dettol in the water.

Vickijay

Visit site
Hmm. I'll probably go see the difference between the normal and course blades. Maybe I should have a course set for the first clip and then do her with my normal ones