Clipping near top of neck and ears...

HenryandPeta

Visit site
Every winter I fully clip Henry, legs, body etc and hog his mane. Throughout the year I periodically hog him and keep his feathers trimmed. I can clip him on my own everywhere except up near his ears!! He throws his head sometimes towards me, sometimes away, and I am usually left with a clump of longer hair on his neck reaching back from his ears about 3 inches!! It's really annoying not to mention looks pretty silly! I usually end up hogging him with scissors so that it's calmer and easier, but obviously doesn't look as neat!

He's 17HH and a medium to heavy weight cob, so when he throws his head I stand no chance! I have tried Sedalin paste in the past, but that seemed to have no effect on him whatsoever, he still threw his head. I've also tried someone else hanging onto him, tempting his head down with mix, but again, no chance! The ONE time I managed to clip him on his neck towards his ears was when my friend rode past the yard and Henry was too busy staring at her horse to bother about what I was doing! But I can't get her to do that everytime!

Anyone got any suggestions? I can touch his ears normally, although he's a bit sensitive to me brushing the top of his neck when grooming (that's improved a lot since he first came though). He wears a full face mask in the summer as he has a pink nose and he doesn't mind that, and he even drops his head to take the bridle! If anyone has any tips to make my life (and his) easier when I clip, that would be great! BTW I can clip everywhere else with no probs, under the chin, belly etc...

hayleygunson

Visit site
I'm not really sure what you can do, but one person tried to clip a pony (he couldn't clip) and while doing it's face, he shaved all the eyelashes off one eye!!! Poor pony, probably humiliated - Imagine a horse with no eyelashes!!! I wonder whether he clipped the other eyelashes off???
grin.gif
Returning to your problem, can you not hire someone to do it for you? I wonder if they could do it??? Good luck!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
You can make a twitch - plait 3 pieces of twine and attach to a shortened broom end. Tie at the back of the wood so the knot does not come into contact with the horse after threading through hole.

Eaglestone

Visit site
My old boy does not let me clip up to his ears any more - he used to so I must have upset him, or its because he has become less tolerant!!!!
Anyway I got fed up with clipping and I paid for someone else to clip him and I told her that he would not let her do up to his ears and promptly kept out the way busying myself, but on hand if and when needed. Anyway next thing I looked and she had managed it ..... she just said that she held his ear whilst whipping the clippers up there and he let her!!! Presumably it muffled the noise?? Perhaps give this one a try!