Clipping now?

ashlingm

Visit site
Clipping now will interfere with the summer coat. You're likely to clip off the tops of the summer coat as they'll be starting to grow through now. Mine have all started to moult so I'd say just try put up with it for a few more weeks if you can, especially if you're planning on doing showing - for the likes of eventing or showjumping it's not so important!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Clipped my cob last night. There was no new coat and she hasn't been clipped for several months now. I was just getting rid of whiskery long bits.

If you show that's one thing. If you don't it wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

Llee94

Visit site
I clip my mare all year round and it has never made a difference to her summer coat when it grows out!

WelshD

Visit site
I clipped my section A a couple of weeks ago, I plan to show him, I clipped to keep him happy (he gets very itchy) and after having seen a load of freshly clipped top show ponies at shows this last couple of weeks I can honestly say I am not worried about his coat

RubysGold

Visit site
I clipped just over a week ago.
My horse was getting itchy. And I know in summer he can sweat standing in the field so I clipped his winter coat off and am hoping he'll just grow a thin coat for summer. I don't want to clip all year round. But it depends on what he needs

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I did my mare's final clip on Monday. All I did was clip her legs off (she had been hunter clipped since October), as her summer coat is already (slowly) starting to come through on her body.

If your horse's summer coat is already starting to come through, then no, I wouldn't clip, however if it's just a 'cat hair' type of coat, and you're not planning on showing soon, then yes, I'd clip.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'm going to clip my oldie at the weekend. It's all going except for his legs, otherwise he'll get too hot when it warms up, as he takes until at least mid-July to lose his long coat.

Before I retired him and he was in regular work, I hunter clipped him 4 times during the winter so there wasn't so much to lose in the spring. Now he just gets one chaser clip in November or December, so moulting is a nightmare (for me!)

Casey76

Visit site
Mine will be getting clipped out at the end of March. The pair of them have grown almost a full winter coat again sine their last clip, and once the weather starts to warm up (please let that be soon!), they'll be far too hot in their winter woolies.

albeg

Visit site
Mine will be getting clipped out at the end of March. The pair of them have grown almost a full winter coat again sine their last clip, and once the weather starts to warm up (please let that be soon!), they'll be far too hot in their winter woolies.

Same here. Waiting for the night time temperatures to come up a bit, then will be reclipping. He hangs on to his winter coat until mid-end May usually, so he's much more comfortable if he's clipped out in March.

KAZJAZ

Visit site
For me it would depend on varying factors but generally I wouldn't clip if the horse has begun casting unless its a horse that's clipped all year round and given suitable protection from the elements...

mcnaughty

Visit site
It wont make any difference to the summer coat. Put it this way. If a vet clips a patch does it grow back .... yes so there you go.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'll be clipping in April once it gets a bit warmer. Never made any difference to the summer coat which hasn't even started thinking of coming through by then.

mytwofriends

Visit site
My oldie is having his whole, super long, coat clipped off this weekend. He's a warm horse and will start to get tacky once the weather bucks up, plus he takes an eternity to lose it all. He loves being clipped too, which is nice for both of us.