Clipping phobia but only when the hair is actually being cut

Beatrice5

Visit site
So we have done lots of advance and retreat over the past few weeks and he is fine with having the clippers on and rubbed all over him including belly and legs, I can even run the blades over him backwards but as soon as he feels the sensation of the blades running though his hai and removing his hair his skin creeps and he explodes.

Its not the blades as they are brand new on my friends very expensive clippers. The tiny section we have clipped came off beautifully before he exploded. We literally just touched him and he went OMG.

He is a New Forest pony and I wonder if it reminds him of the sensation of being branded as I am not sure of the methodology but wonder if such things as electric brands exist in the UK as I know they do in America.

Once he explodes I am back to advance and retreat clippers off, touch all over, once relaxed clippers on building back up to touch all over, reverse action backwards clipping for vibration then as soon as I go forwards with blades we ping again :(

He has PPID and although his meds help he is still a very woolly pony and if we dont clip it makes the children riding his a very sweaty uncomfortable experience for him even in walk and trot.

Advice appreciated.

millitiger

Visit site
I had this with one of mine.

Did loads of work before clipping with them running, getting him used to them all of over him and had zero reaction to noise or vibrations.

As soon as I started to clip, he completely freaked and was body slamming and striking out with front legs.

I just doped him for clipping and he was fine, it wasn't his fault he didn't like actually being clipped.

Beatrice5

Visit site
I am sat here with a tube of sedaline calculating a safe but reasonable dose...... are there any alternatives to sedalin I can consider if it isnt strong enough to calm him a little. I am sure once he has been done once without event he will be fine but at the moment he is scaring himself by reacting quite so violently.

He also unfortunately has a needle phobia and only one of the vets from my practice has the art of hiding behind me whilst I bury ponies face in a HUGE tubtrug of nuts to get a needle in to vaccinate or blood test so having him sedated by a vet may not be easy either as his blood is up just at the sight of a vet.

We also did a first clip on my huge baby horse today and she had exactly the same desensitization work as him and although she found the clippers tickly at first she soon relaxed and was a total star - she only had a bib clip but it was a fab start. So I know its not the clippers its him being very sensitive to the sensation of the blades clipping. Interestingly he is much more relaxed about his bum and I suspect I could clip that but the closer towards his head the more tense he gets. Sadly I only want to do another bib and not a trace or full clip ;)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine was fine until he saw his hair falling off... 🙇🙇 we just sedated him for the first winters set of clips and this winter he hasn't bothered at all and we have done full clips just tied up.

Beatrice5

Visit site
Yes he was fine until he witnessed his hair falling off......... peculiar creature lol

Just hoping the sedalin works on Thursday as its my day off and I don't fancy pratting about in the dark again tomorrow.....

As said thankfully the big horse was a dream its the bloody 13.2 kids pony being the difficult one - which is better that a 16hh hefty cob mare lol

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Yes he was fine until he witnessed his hair falling off......... peculiar creature lol

Just hoping the sedalin works on Thursday as its my day off and I don't fancy pratting about in the dark again tomorrow.....

As said thankfully the big horse was a dream its the bloody 13.2 kids pony being the difficult one - which is better that a 16hh hefty cob mare lol

Mine is 16:3...... We tried to tell him that freaking out because of his hair is falling off is not very brave for a big horse but you could almost heat the high pitched "OH MY GOD MY HAIR IS FALLIMG OF HELP!!!!!" as he was body slamming us against the wall. And he was fine with the noise and the vibration.
Silly beast. This year he has been perfect.

Bav

Visit site
I feel terrible for not knowing the name, but my yard owner has clipped the majority of the liveries this year and she used and recommended something stronger then Sedalin. It was a blue colour and goes under the tongue. I believe it is about £50 however but works an absolute treat!!! So sorry I can't think of the name but it really was very good stuff even on a mare that can have an entire tube of sedalin and still act as though she's had none. Perhaps have a chat with your vets?

I'm terrible in that I'd much rather sedate and have a nicer experience for both parties then risk being hurt/hurting one another

Beatrice5

Visit site
By the time I had got him back to the being rubbed all over with the clippers and chilled about it the vets had closed tonight - but yes I have it on my "To-do" list to have a chat with them tomorrow as I would rather we both survived the experience unscathed and continue with any desensitisation work on an ongoing basis afterwards at our leisure as I currently have a very moth eaten looking pony and borrowed clippers that I am sure my friend would appreciate having back sooner rather than later ;)

I am however looking to buy some once I find some battery ones that are quiet but able to clip 3 x bib clips........ but clipper research is ongoing !

Merlod

Visit site
My sister has a NF pony, the first time I turned the trimmers (not even the clippers) on near him I got booted. He is branded too which makes sense. We worked through it like you, getting him used to the sound and vibrations etc. I found that when I actually put the blades through his fur that would be the worst (again, like you - new clippers, 2 sets of blades so never "hot" going through clean fur) if he had a "moment" I found it was best to work through it (wearing helmet of course) and keep clipping or at least run my fingers through his fur whilst holding the clippers behind for the vibration, all the while my sister praising and rewarding at his head. I only took the clippers away or turned them off when he was being calm. native ponies are notoriously clever things and I highly doubt he's in pain but they learn that their reactions stop something happening that makes them scared or even if they'd just "rather not" then they will keep reacting. My sister clipped him herself this year, hunter clip!

Annagain

Visit site
Another recommendation for domosedan. Sedalin isn't enough for A, but as you can do 90% with no sedation at all, a vet call and IV sedation for 5 minutes work seems overkill. I've used domosedan for the last 2 years and it's great. We still have to twitch as well for the last 2% (just round his ears and nether regions) but at least with the domosedan we can get the twitch on. We don't stand a chance without it.

Getting it under the tongue isn't as difficult as you'd imagine.

Micropony

Visit site
Another recommendation for domosedan. Sedalin isn't enough for A, but as you can do 90% with no sedation at all, a vet call and IV sedation for 5 minutes work seems overkill. I've used domosedan for the last 2 years and it's great. We still have to twitch as well for the last 2% (just round his ears and nether regions) but at least with the domosedan we can get the twitch on. We don't stand a chance without it.

Getting it under the tongue isn't as difficult as you'd imagine.

I have also found it to be good stuff and have used it in the past. Don't remember paying as much as £50 for it, but it is a little bit more expensive than Sedalin.

smja

Visit site
I don't think it's to do with branding - mine is exactly the same, and he's not branded/never been witness to any branding.

For him, we think he's so ticklish that the hair coming off irritates him (he's a bit funny with certain brushes too). We nose twitch him to clip, and make sure that all loose hair is promptly swept off him as we go.

Dr_Horse

Visit site
Mine was petrified of his hair falling off the first time LOL He ran backwards every time he saw it!!! He's much much happier in a stable, not tied and stands really well now :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We have one, it's only the clipping itself can go backwards all over :) she only needs/gets minimal clip, is bribed with pony nuts. Ok for belly still worries about neck so a couple of quick not straight lines suffices!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Mine have never reacted to being branded. They object to being handled more than the hot brand being applied. The more you back away at times they learn that it's something to be wary of. Sometimes you just need to put a bit more pressure on them (if possible without getting hurt!) so that they realise it won't go away and bribery can work wonders.