Clipping & Rugging question

tubby1

Visit site
I have just had my very sweaty horse clipped with a high trace. I have turned her out tonight with a lightweight with no neck. My Y/O has advised that she needs a rug with a neck. Should she have a MW or a lightweight on coz it is still really mild. & I don't want to over rug or under rug her.

zaminda

Visit site
My 2 are fully clipped, and have MW with no neck rugs on. If I had necks for my lightweights, I'd have been tempted to put them out in those so I would say with just a high trace, I'd definitely have gone lightweight!!

be positive

Visit site
If she is warm enough there is no reason to put a rug with a neck on her, she may need one later but for now she should be fine..

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
hair regrowth is governed by daylight hours not amount of rugs unless temps are very cold (-) and horse is cold. a rain sheet will be fine til temps are consistently below 8 degrees.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I have only clipped the pony so far this year (but she is a very sensitive / pathetic pony) - but she is fully clipped. I can't speak for the weather where you are, but it has been incredibly mild with us, and so she has only had a LW rug on at all. This afternoon she was so hot underneath it she had it taken off till the sun went down.

Over-rugging will not slow down hair regrowth. Over-rugging will however make your horse more prone to sweating up (and then cooling down with the inside of the rug damp, creating a chill), getting cast (my friends horse used to get cast every single time he was too warm!) or colic (rolling because they're too hot, and so causing a twisted gut)

I would always aim towards the less is more, especially in the mild weather we have been having.