Clipping Time Again, my annual tips!

TheEngineer

Visit site
I've been borrowing a friends clippers for the last year, and am looking at getting my own this year cos my rather hairy cob needs her legs clipped regularly and I think its about time. The pair i'm using currently are Dextella - a bit noisy but that doesn't bother my horse, having looked at them they're a lot cheaper than the 'big name' brands. Have you got any opinions on them - or any recommendations of anything else that won't break my bank account - had a look at some of the Heinegers and they're rather out of my budget......

The Dextella is another Chinese "Heinegar" clone, as with all of these, they are cheap and not necessarily cheerful! However if you are dictated by budget, then your choices are limited.My usual advice applies, check out the supplier and the warranty/backup service before you buy.Or save a little longer until you can afford one of the better brands.Failing that, why not share the cost of a clipper between a couple of friends. Perhaps £100 each between three of you, equates to perhaps. Wolseley Swift or similar, then share the running costs. I have several customers who have done likewise, they bought one clipper, each bought their own blades/oil/etc and shared the cost of a service.

PS: heard on the grapevine that Wolseley are increasing their warranty on new machines to two years and doing a scrappage scheme,where you get a twenty quid voucher for your old wrecked clipper, working or not. Towards a new Wolseley. This dealer is adverstising details,but I am sure others will be soon.

http://www.clipperservices.co.uk/acatalog/Special_Offer_on_All_Wolseley_Clippers.html

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
HTML:
 PS: heard on the grapevine that Wolseley are increasing their warranty on new machines to two years and doing a scrappage scheme,where you get a twenty quid voucher for your old wrecked clipper, working or not. Towards a new Wolseley. This dealer is adverstising details,but I am sure others will be soon.
This is true, we had a leaflet from Wolseley advertising this deal but as we dont sell horse clippers its irelevant to us! I camnt find anything about the offer on their website but it does exist and the warranty is 2 years now, yes.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Can you suggest somewhere reputable to send my blades for sharpening please?

Used to use Eddie Palin but they have gone now. Have used the Stock Shop before and never again (long version..blades never come back sharp and it most definitely isn't my clipping technique or me trying to clip a dirty horse) so looking for someone else.

I had a letter from the new company enclosing a jiffy bag to send to them which was a great idea, I just popped them in the envelope straight away where as I probably would have left it too late and would be miffed cos I couldnt' clip when I wanted lol

I think someone has put the new companies name and address up already, I'll check though and if not I'll post it tomorrow

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
On your arena, if you are tightening the tension down tight,then one and a half turns back....this is far too tight! That is correct tension for a Lister, but not an Arena or a Wolseley, see the link below for correct tension tip watch all three videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBsCMT00NJI&sns=em

Ahh thank you, this may be why they used to heat up but didn't after they'd been serviced and came back with the blades already attached and tensioned, god help when I put them back on then after being sharpened lol I'll not do them so tight then

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I had a letter from the new company enclosing a jiffy bag to send to them which was a great idea, I just popped them in the envelope straight away where as I probably would have left it too late and would be miffed cos I couldnt' clip when I wanted lol

I think someone has put the new companies name and address up already, I'll check though and if not I'll post it tomorrow

Agrihealth
Clones Road
Monaghan
Co Monaghan

Order Line:
LoCall 1890 200 999

047 – 71800
047 – 74190

web@agrihealth.ie

I'm not sure if that is the address to send blades to but email them and they will tell you.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
The Dextella is another Chinese "Heinegar" clone, as with all of these, they are cheap and not necessarily cheerful! However if you are dictated by budget, then your choices are limited.My usual advice applies, check out the supplier and the warranty/backup service before you buy.Or save a little longer until you can afford one of the better brands.Failing that, why not share the cost of a clipper between a couple of friends. Perhaps £100 each between three of you, equates to perhaps. Wolseley Swift or similar, then share the running costs. I have several customers who have done likewise, they bought one clipper, each bought their own blades/oil/etc and shared the cost of a service.

http://www.clipperservices.co.uk/acatalog/Special_Offer_on_All_Wolseley_Clippers.html

Thanks for the info - shall try to save and buy some from a more well known make. On that note, do you have any recommendations? I only have the one horse, a hairy mary, who I fully clip out in the winter, and who's legs I clip regularly. She's brilliant to clip with the exception of her ears (we're working on that!) and her legs (again, working on it) - so not too worried about being super quiet or anything. Just want something reliable that will clip her rather hairy coat and last a long time. If you'd prefer to PM then please feel free. Thanks :)

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
Ive had my clippers for ever, (so long I can't remember make!! but they are a well known brand) trouble is they over heat all the time, a standard clip takes 3 times as long to so horse ends up fidgety & pissed off. I clean and oil after every use (clipper oil), blades are regularly sharpened & i don't over tighten but they still over heat.....any ideas?

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Ive had my clippers for ever, (so long I can't remember make!! but they are a well known brand) trouble is they over heat all the time, a standard clip takes 3 times as long to so horse ends up fidgety & pissed off. I clean and oil after every use (clipper oil), blades are regularly sharpened & i don't over tighten but they still over heat.....any ideas?

Have they been serviced recently, maybe the filters are blocked or something

Rosie1989

Visit site
I've got the Liveryman Harmony clippers with the battery pack and when I first got them they worked but then I broke the blade and thought I may have broken the clippers too. I sent them to Eddie Palin and they said the switch was actually faulty so repaired them for free and I just bought the new blades. When I got them back and charged the battery pack overnight, they lasted for about 20mins and should last 3 hours! They are abit better when plugged into the mains but still dont run as well as they should. Are clippers/trimmers like this worth repairing or should I just put it down to experience and get some new ones? (they are now out of warranty so cant send them back again)

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I've got the Liveryman Harmony clippers with the battery pack and when I first got them they worked but then I broke the blade and thought I may have broken the clippers too. I sent them to Eddie Palin and they said the switch was actually faulty so repaired them for free and I just bought the new blades. When I got them back and charged the battery pack overnight, they lasted for about 20mins and should last 3 hours! They are abit better when plugged into the mains but still dont run as well as they should. Are clippers/trimmers like this worth repairing or should I just put it down to experience and get some new ones? (they are now out of warranty so cant send them back again)

To be honest, without seeing them and running some tests it is impossible to say. However it does sound like your battery is knackered but if the clippers do not run properly even when they are plugged into the mains then there may be a problem with the motor also. If both the motor and battery are gone then it may be better to look at a new set. But like I said, without hearing/seeing it run its only an educated guess. Do you have a set to compare them with? This will at least tell you whether your motor is good or not and then you can decide whether you want to repair or replace.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I just realised that TheEngineer started this thread, if that question was intended for TheEngineer then please accept my apologies, if a query pops up that I can answer, I do so without thought to whom the query is directed towards!

Rosie1989

Visit site
I just realised that TheEngineer started this thread, if that question was intended for TheEngineer then please accept my apologies, if a query pops up that I can answer, I do so without thought to whom the query is directed towards!

It was intended for either of you :)

Thanks, I'm sure my sister has the same ones so I will compare them when I next see her.

TheEngineer

Visit site
It was intended for either of you :)

Thanks, I'm sure my sister has the same ones so I will compare them when I next see her.

I would echo my esteemed colleague from Anglesea. If anything, he has a far greater knowledge of smaller trimmers than myself. We both have the same sharpening machine, but his advice is sound. I find a lot of trimmers nowadays are in the "hate to say it" "throwaway category" with spares hard to come by, or just unavailable. It is only if you are spending big bucks, on say an Andis or Oster, that you will find repairs worthwhile. IMHO of course....

Ian

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I would echo my esteemed colleague from Anglesea.

Please, I am blushing! Your humility knows no bounds! Coming from your fine self, I am most honored good sir!

I find a lot of trimmers nowadays are in the "hate to say it" "throwaway category" with spares hard to come by, or just unavailable.

You unfortunately hit the nail square on the head with that! I remember the good old days when if a clipper ran without torque, either the commutators on the armature were gunked up or the (1 single) capacitor was faulty, now you need a PHd in electronics to track a fault on a PCB and the field coil/brushes/armature are one solid unit that cant be touched.

Alot of trimmers have a pcb and a motor and some kind of gear or similar to transfer the drive from the motor into something that oscilates. When either of them go it usually takes out the other rendering alot of jobs BER.

One thing to say in their defense is that its is usually very simple to replace parts if it economical to do so...you can whip one of these things apart and replace the parts in 5 minutes flat.

BTW...to TheEngineer, I read through a selection of posts and thought this thread and poll I started would be incomplete without your input...

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=9937161#post9937161