Clipping Time! Is this naughty...

Megibo

Visit site
So I rode my pony today and she was sweating like a pig under girth and white between her back legs. You wouldn't of thought she'd just been schooled in walk for all of 15 minutes...
Time to clip now, as she is getting her first winter fluff and cooking under it already. She still has a bit of a belly (healthy weight now but a tum) so was thinking of giving her a full clip and on the second clip a chaser/blanket. She'll be hacked out once ground too soggy to school 3/4 times a week and everyday in the half terms.
Living out with a fleece and a full neck lightweight, would she get TOO cold in that ?
Think super good doer native that holds onto her weight with iron claws. (or hooves :p)

Visit site
She will be fine as long as she is rugged up appropriately. Her hair will soon grow back so as you said, it would be best to give her a full clip now and then a blanket/chaser clip in a couple of months time. :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Ive got a section a that was clipped 2 weeks ago out naked tonight so hot and he was sweating in stable naked last night so hes out making the most of it while i can!!:)

SpottedCat

Visit site
My TB was fully clipped mid week and hasn't had a rug near him since - he lives out 24/7. Unless you're somewhere significantly colder than most of us, I should think you'll boil a native good doer with any rug in this weather! It's not dropping below 14 at night at the moment, it was colder than this in mid-July!!

SVMel

Visit site
Living out with a fleece and a full neck lightweight, would she get TOO cold in that ?

Only you can tell whether she's warm enough or not by checking her every day!!!!! All depends on the horse, in the past I have had a shetland who felt the cold badly and would shiver despite only having a neck and belly clip, in at night with a polywarm on, and a TB who never felt the cold!!!! Every horse is an individual :D One of the ones I do would be fine like this, the other wouldn't, and they're pretty much the same type. Best way is to try what you think will suit, but be prepared to cut back or beef up the rugs as needed :D:D xx

dafthoss

Visit site
That's just what I have done today :D he now looks lovely and smart and is much happier for it I even gave him a bath after to get rid of all the loose hair :). When he next needs doing he will get a blanket clip then another full at last clip time again so I don't end up pulling hair out of him for ages.

Megibo

Visit site
if it stays this warm then i intend to leave her naked! :p:p

I meant for when it does start to get colder, then i'd pop her in a fleece and lightweight.
dafthoss that seems a good idea!

When is ideally the latest you can clip them ? Though having said that if it is as hot next summer as it was the one just gone she'll be clipped all year round.

vicksey

Visit site
My cob had full clip last week and is out naked day and night. Will start rugging once the temps start dropping but will try to hold off as long as possible.