Clipping woes

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
My daughter’s horse is an absolute sweetheart in every respect - he’s so chilled on the ground, he follows her around in the field, he stands beautifully to be groomed, picks his feet up, loads without batting an eyelid - and looks after her when she’s riding him (the couple of times they’ve parted company, he’s stopped straight away, looks at her in surprise and then stands stock still so she can get on again).

So everything is great ... apart from he freaks out at the clippers. We’ve got the vet coming out this week to sedate him so we can get his woolly coat clipped off (he’s been getting very sweaty the last few days), but obviously we don’t want to have to sedate him every time ...

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a clipper-hating horse to make his peace with them please?

Michen

Visit site
Some domesedon gel. Get a prescription from vet then buy on viovet will cost you 30 quid ish a time. Used to knock my clipper phobic Horse out.

asmp

Visit site
Years ago had a horse who hated them. Someone suggested buying a cheap battery toothbrush and putting it in a bucket with horse's feed bucket on top to get it used to the vibrations. Don't think I tried it though. I did get someone in once to clip him who had the patience to walk around and around the stable with him (using cordless clippers) until he gave up and let her clip him (was only a bib clip).

Makes me realise how good the two I have now are!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Thanks - we are sedating him (and good idea to get a prescription from the vet), but ideally we’d like to try to desensitise him - am I being realistic?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It is possible to desensitise horses to clippers, but it can take a while depending on how phobic they are. Have you got your own clippers? Ideally a compact and quiet cordless set - cordless is much easier as you don't have to worry about getting tangled in the flex if the horse moves. Some horses hate the sound of the clippers, some hate the feel, some hate both. My mare hates the loose hair falling on her nose, so I cover her nose up with my other hand to protect it as I clip her head and neck.

I find it best if the horse isn't tied up, but you hold the lead rope. The horse then doesn't feel trapped. I start with switching the clippers on and off a distance away from the horse, and depending on the reaction, in minutes or days/weeks bringing the clippers closer and eventually running them along the shoulder over my hand, so the horse feels the vibration but the clippers aren't touching him. Then progress to running the clippers touching the horse but in the same direction as the coat so they aren't clipping. Finally, if all is good, I'd clip an actual bit.

How long this all takes is a 'how long as a piece of string' Q. IMHO it's best done for a few minutes a day as part of your horse's routine, rather than in major big sessions, hence why it's best to have your own clippers. It is vitally important that the clippers are correctly tensioned and the blade is sharp so that the blades don't pull as they cut, it may be that he's been clipped badly in the past and remembers the pain.

So probably think of sedating to get the job done now if he needs clipping, and then work at the desensitisation in the hope that next time he can be done without, or with lighter sedation. Good luck.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Thanks, we’re going to get some cordless clippers - last time we tried, we were using the yard owner’s corded ones. His previous owner had warned us that he freaked out at clippers but we had the vet out over the summer when he had a nasty cut on his back leg and she used clippers to trim the hair around the wound and he didn’t bat an eyelid so we were lulled into a false sense of security..

ihatework

Visit site
There will be many examples of desensitising clipper phobic horses. Some will be easier than others.

I’ve only had one phobic horse and I gave up trying to desensitise her, it just wasn’t worth the trauma. She was good on domosedan gel for getting half body off so she had that a couple of times a year then for her final clip of the year had Vet IV for it all off.

In the grand scheme of horse ownership it’s a small price. Obviously if they are just a bit nervous then time, patience & desensitisation is the way forwards

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks, we’re going to get some cordless clippers - last time we tried, we were using the yard owner’s corded ones. His previous owner had warned us that he freaked out at clippers but we had the vet out over the summer when he had a nasty cut on his back leg and she used clippers to trim the hair around the wound and he didn’t bat an eyelid so we were lulled into a false sense of security..

I think you can get them to accept clippers but it's a long process, I would buy some very small ones and just turn them on for short periods without even touching him with them, just so he gets used to the noise and just progress from there use lots of praise and treats if need be.

One of mine was fine to clip until you wanted to do near his ears and face, and he would rear up if you went near those areas, I bought some small trimmers and just did a little bit at a time giving him some treats as we go along, I can do a lot of his face with the large ones and then finish off with the trimmers without even a head collar on now no more rearing, I don't believe his hang up was fear he just didn't like the sensation on those bits as the big clippers do tend to vibrate which a lot of horses don't like.

I used to clip other people's years ago and I am a believer that if a horse is truly that scared not to put yourself at risk, if a horse is liable to kick or cause injury I simply would not clip without sedation.

Michen

Visit site
I’m sure with enough effort you could desensitise him but I never managed it with my last horse, it used to just stress him out so much and was the only thing that ever did so for the sake of 30 quid 4 times a year or so it didn’t seem worth it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
No horses are perfect and having to use domestine 2 or three times a year to clip is really a very minor fault in an otherwise perfect kids pony.

If you want to spend loads of time and effort then give de-sensitisation a go. But there really is no harm in mild sedation a couple of times a year
You could rug early to keep his coat thin as possible next year and then well rug after he's clipped so it grows back as slowly as possible post clip. You could get down to only 2 clips a year

Horsekaren

Visit site
My boy isnt very good with clippers, he runs has bolted off to the field before and is just very nervous of them.
The first time i had him clipped he was bribed with food and a firm hand, the second time i got a natural horseman ship trainer out to help and it was amazing.

He then went to the vet and had a very bad experience when trying to be clipped, he needed about 4 injections to sedate him and was charging around the vet clinic like a loon so i knew that undid a lot of our work.

Yesterday i managed to give my boy an irish clip all by myself. I now clip him in his stable but dont tie him up. I use small cordless clippers, they are very quiet Lister ones, they are small so it does take longer but the noise is less than an 8th of the big ones. When i go in i turn the clippers on and stand away from him, he spins about a bit then settles, i then put my hand holding the clippers on him (i dont clip) he then spins and i just follow untill he stops moving, as soon as he stops i remove my hand, i did this twice and then he stood. I then started clipping his shoulder whilst my partner held the lead rope (not tight) lots of good boys and he soon stood like a sweetheart and began to nibble his hay net.

I do think with a nervy horse cordless ones take a lot of the stress away, as does using the smaller clippers.

This is my first horse so im not the most experienced, i just know i don't want to sedate him to clip him :)

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Thanks everyone - this is my daughter’s first horse and I’m not very horsey so there’s lots to learn. Sedating him seemed quite drastic so it’s good to know it’s not that big a deal. It was amazing how quickly his coat grew as soon as the temperature dropped - his coat was very fine all through the summer (this will be our first winter with him) and I was taken by surprise!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ours improved but she's never been great- had her 14 years now, she get's treated with pony nuts fairly regularly if she tolerates it and the nuts always come from the person holding the clippers not the helper. She does expect them when the clippers come out now, even if she isn't the one being clipped ;).
She is better when she has been more exposed to other horses being clipped around her and we can usually now do belly fine but she hates having her neck done. It isn't the noise of the vibration as if you run the clippers around so they don't cut she is fine. Once they start actually clipping hair she really struggles. Thankfully we've never had to take masses off as she is fine coated and not a sweaty type. Any more then I would have been very happy to sedate her, definitely not drastic.

tatty_v

Visit site
My boy used to be awful and has improved a bit with time but we still give him a couple of clicks of Sedalin when we clip.
Seems to take the edge of him and we can get the whole job done much quicker. I agree it would be nice not to have to do it, but there’s no adverse consequences to sedating and we all have a much less stressful experience! 😊

SpringArising

Visit site
When you say 'freak out', what does he do?

What have you done to try to get him used to them?

My horse in no way 'freaks out', but he is very wary of them and so I've spent the last week or so working with him and them. I initially sat in the school with him loose just turning them on and off, giving him a few treats when he came close etc. Then I put a rope round him and made him walk next/behind me when they were on (which is so much better than having them tied up where they feel anxious and unable to move). Then I started rubbing him with them with them off, then turning them on. All very slow, easy and positive keeping it to 10 min sessions.

onemoretime

Visit site
Thanks - we are sedating him (and good idea to get a prescription from the vet), but ideally we’d like to try to desensitise him - am I being realistic?

I found the way to desensitise the young horses we had was to put a pair of cordless trimmers on the ledge inside the stable or somewhere appropriate with them running whilst they ate the feed. You can put them on the other side at first then gradually move them nearer the horse each evening. Also when grooming, I always groom on the yard as I can see better, I have them running near by, then eventually I put the big clippers running nearby and move closer each time. It can take a while but I have found that it works well.

Visit site
If it is the noise he doesn't like put ear plugs in. It's amazing How a horse can be climbing the walls one minute, take the noise away and then they are perfect. It's like a good groom!

oldie48

Visit site
IMO nothing looks worse than a bad clip and to do a good one you need to able to work all around the horse safely. All of my horses and ponies except one have been good to clip even if they have needed a twitch to do their face/ears. The one that wasn't good was an older horse and I bought him knowing that he needed to be sedated. Just out of interest I tried de-sensitising him and although I could have clipped small parts of him I would never have been able to do the sort of clip he needed for the level of work he was in. He was sedated, although I have my own clippers and can clip to a reasonable standard, I am quite slow, so I used a professional who was quick and had all the gear. Result, I had a smart happy horse and no-one got injured.In the great scheme of things, it wasn't that expensive as I left the first clip as late as possible and managed to get away with two each year.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Agree with oldie48. If he really hates it and will kick or otherwise harm the clipper best to keep everyone happy including your lovely pony and sedate.

It really depends on how freaked he gets tbh. You may be able to work on it over time but be aware it may make no difference and you’ll just freak him out for the sake of not sedating.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you really want to desensitise the horseI’d buy a cheap electric toothbrush rather than cordless clippers , I’d be tempted to turn the brush on and put it in your pocket when doing things like changing rugs etc .. and see how he is with that if that works progress to holding it in your hand and holding it on his shoulder etc etc all very slowly but tbh if it’s his only fault I’d get done Sedalin and just dope him a couple of times a year - life’s too short for the row.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’ve managed to desensitise mine just by lots of patience and using quiet clippers. Mine was more cause she was ticklish though. I bought the Micheal Peace dvd and followed it to the letter. I found this very useful. We have one on the yard that was scared to death of the noise but by doing what I’ve done, she’s also managed to desensitise hers. Good luck!

McFluff

Visit site
It is possible to desensitise horses to clippers, but it can take a while depending on how phobic they are. Have you got your own clippers? Ideally a compact and quiet cordless set - cordless is much easier as you don't have to worry about getting tangled in the flex if the horse moves. Some horses hate the sound of the clippers, some hate the feel, some hate both. My mare hates the loose hair falling on her nose, so I cover her nose up with my other hand to protect it as I clip her head and neck.

I find it best if the horse isn't tied up, but you hold the lead rope. The horse then doesn't feel trapped. I start with switching the clippers on and off a distance away from the horse, and depending on the reaction, in minutes or days/weeks bringing the clippers closer and eventually running them along the shoulder over my hand, so the horse feels the vibration but the clippers aren't touching him. Then progress to running the clippers touching the horse but in the same direction as the coat so they aren't clipping. Finally, if all is good, I'd clip an actual bit.

How long this all takes is a 'how long as a piece of string' Q. IMHO it's best done for a few minutes a day as part of your horse's routine, rather than in major big sessions, hence why it's best to have your own clippers. It is vitally important that the clippers are correctly tensioned and the blade is sharp so that the blades don't pull as they cut, it may be that he's been clipped badly in the past and remembers the pain.

So probably think of sedating to get the job done now if he needs clipping, and then work at the desensitisation in the hope that next time he can be done without, or with lighter sedation. Good luck.

This is what I’m working on just now. So far we’ve had to sedate as she was genuinely terrified and not safe. However as she needs clipped a lot, I’m on a mission to desensitise. I started with an electric toothbrush. Let her sniff it and worked up to holding it on her. I’ve now got clippers and am working through as tiddlypom has detailed. I’ve just managed my first bit of hair removal. Still got a way to go, but I think this will be worth the investment. If I got away with 1 or 2 clips a year I’d probably not have tackled this. As others have said I’ve gone for cordless and don’t tie her up.

Sophire

Visit site
It’s a royal PITA having one that’s bad to clip, neither of mine are great, but one will stand rock still and hate every second with a twitch and the other will try and kill you. The second I have sedated IV twice a year and honestly it’s just peace of mind. Will get a good clip for the most part and the next day they’re no worse for wear.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Update - we’ll we got him clipped (just about!).... he needed two doses to get started - he seemed to be snoozing after the first dose but as soon as he felt the clippers he was wide awake. The yard owner was clipping him for us as it was going to be quicker but the clippers broke when she was 2/3 of the way through, and at the same time the second dose started wearing off!

We had to call the vet back, and find a new set of clippers, by which time he couldn’t have been more awake ... he had to have a third dose and we got most of the rest of him done but his jawline is a bit uneven.

He’s obviously had a bad experience in the past as the whole thing makes him very anxious - he looks scared, backs away, spins. He’s so good-natured that he doesn’t kick or rear but I don’t want him to be so scared 😟

The vet said that next time she’ll give him something to take the edge off the anxiety as well as the sedative. We’ve also ordered some small cordless clippers to start desensitisation but I think we’ll have to carry on sedating too.

PS he didn’t look his best straight after the clip but it’s amazing how quickly it’s evened out and doesn’t look too awful now!

McFluff

Visit site
It’s so stressful when they’ve clearly had an awful experience. If it helps, mine was that bad when I got her, but I didn’t like having to knock her out to clip (she used to need IV with vet, then with work, got her to stand with gel). It’s taken about a year, but we’ve just managed our first drug free clip. I spent months adding time with an electric toothbrush into our grooming routine. Initially every time, then I just tested her reaction every now and again. Then I did the same with the clippers. Her first clip this autumn was under sedation. But her second one was drug free. It took a bag of carrots as bribery, and several short sessions, but we are clipped (not head, that was a step too far at the moment) but slow patience has paid off.
I also think that it got more possible as her bond with me got stronger.
If you’d told me a year ago she would be as good as she was I’d have not believed it.
In the meantime it has to be safety first, but I’d recommend taking time and doing desensitisation work. If nothing else you may be able to reduce the sedative dose you need.

Annagain

Visit site
If the reaction is mental / emotional it is possible to densensitise them. If it's physical i.e. they're just too ticklish and can't bear the feeling rather than the noise or the 'thought' of the clippers, it's much more difficult. I've had mine 13 years and while he's improved a tiny bit (in that we can get closer to the offending areas but still can't do them) he's never going to be ok. He's perfect for 95% of his clip but that last 5%, it's like he's possessed! He can't bear the clippers around his nether regions, his armpits or his ears. He's also a nightmare to get the twitch on so we have to sedate. Domosedan is brilliant stuff. Knocks him out as much as IV but much cheaper and it means we can clip without waiting for the vet.

monte1

Visit site
My boy came direct from dealers yard and was fully clipped, everything off, legs and all when we bought him, He obviously had a bad experience ( probably held down and clipped out quick as possible) as when I clipped him that following winter he was awful, very reactive, twitchy and fidgety especially round his head, neck and withers area, but was fine for the whole back end- very odd. I suspect been ear twitched in the past but who knows!
Anyhow I have persevered quietly over last couple of years and he has got much better, just twitched him to get the front end done- when he got really bargy, nose twitching worked really well for him.
This year i bought some decent cordless clippers, (heiniger xplorers ) tried a new approach, no headcollar, didn't tie him up- loose in stable and did a full clip in 45 minutes with no bother at all. I have just done a second clip last week and same result. this time tied up outside quite happily, even did face and ears !
I am not sure if this is a combination of less vibration from these type of clipper and he getting more used to clippers in general, but am super pleased with his attitude :)