Close contact event saddles and broad shouldered horses?

saz5083

Visit site
Im having a problem with my current saddle with regards to XC. Basically its got a medium deep seat and it keeps whacking me on the bum!
mad.gif
Also as my boy is quite broad shouldered its a VSD which leaves sweet FA to take up my leg so I cant shorten my stirrups much more than SJ length (and I ride quite long anyway so its not great for XC!) I've been looking into getting him a close contact event/jumping saddle for a while which will a) hopefully have a flatter seat for my poor bum, and b) take up my leg a bit more. Question is, is it likely to restrict his shoulder being that bit more forward cut? He's a 16hh freisian x ISH and is in a medium fit saddle but has reasonably substantial shoulders and I obviously want to make sure he will be comfortable too. I will be having a saddler fit it or will possibly have one made to measure.
Any advise would be much appreciated
cool.gif

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
Been advised to get a close contact saddle for my irish cob she's heavyweight broad shoulder. The one I've been told fits her very well it the sellaria equipe(that might be spelt wrong.) It is quite expensive but very nice.

seche

Visit site
I hate "bucket seats" I like my saddles as flat as possible - my TB has (for a TB) very broad shoulders - and is classed as having an enormous front on him. I had an Albion Kontrol - awful - well it was comfy but I had showjumper legs syndrome (swinging back) I now have a Fusion Saddle - have a google - they are brill and even fit Guy Williams hefty showjumpers!

saz5083

Visit site
Oooh, my legs swing back too! I assumed its cos my stirrups are too long in that saddle and I have no support (although could be my riding! ). Will go have a google and see.
grin.gif