Close contact/monoflap saddles

Michen

Visit site
Has anyone initially hated them and then got used to them? I have ridden in both a Equipe Expression and an Ideal Impala. Really struggled with both, felt like I was sitting on a sheet of paper with no support/bulk. Couldn't wait to get back in to my trustee GFS monarch!

I'm looking at investing in a more forward cut saddle than my current GP though and happy to spend 2-3k ish, ideally something that can fit both my horses (with different fluff levels GFS monarch fits both connemaras). I'm wondering whether it's worth trying the twin flap version of an equipe/ideal etc as it may feel more supportive with more bulk? They seem harder to get hold of though.

Last edited:

sherry90

Visit site
Thought I’d love it as I loved a monoflap dressage but like you just didn’t feel enough underneath me for jumping. The seat felt very flat and hard. I went with the K2 and love it.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I love monoflap everything. Seat hardness is just dependent on saddle model, brand, and preference. That's not a monoflap issue.

I've not felt a feeling of no support or bulk because the saddle was a monoflap, but I've felt that when the twist wasn't right or the block (thigh, knee, leg, or whathaveyou) wasn't right. Either size wise or just general location.

I actually won't own anything else now. But you go with what works for you regardless of flaps. It might be worth trying some other monoflaps, but that depends on what you have access to.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Not specific to just cc/monoflap saddles but I've either found a saddle comfortable from the start or not. The two times I've been unsure or found a saddle uncomfortable but bought it anyway as it fitted the horse have been expensive mistakes as I never found them comfortable and it impacted on my riding.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I just bought a gp/jump style saddle from AH saddles. They're designed with natives in mind although I think your two are of the prettier sporty connie model compared to mine so fitting might not be so much of an issue for you as it was for me. "Only" set me back £1,800ish which I didn't think was too bad, OH thought otherwise naturally.

firstfrost

Visit site
I've got a monoflap ideal impala on one of my Connie's and a fairfax monoflap jump on the other. I have jumped in the impala for 10 years, hated it to start with but now wouldn't like to jump in anything else other than a monoflap.

McGrools

Visit site
Just purchased 2 second hand harry dabbs jump saddles for mine, one mono flap, the other close contact and i am madly in love with them. Feel so secure in them and almost glued to them ( i am super lucky that they are both in paris leather though!) swoon!!
never had a monoflap before but love how the horse feels narrower to ride. Ie dont have to stretch my hips too wide! ?

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t particularly like riding in monoflaps, although saying that they don’t all ride the same.

I like a double flap close contact sj saddle.

spacefaer

Visit site
I had an Andrew Nicholson monoflap from Style when they first came out. Loved it for jumping, especially xc, but found it was so designed as a jumping saddle, that it wasn't particularly comfortable to even hack in. My legs were in the wrong place if I tried to lengthen my stirrups.

I would be interested to try a modern version but since I really only hack and hunt, with the odd bit of xc schooling or fun , I'm not sure it'd be worth buying one. I wouldn't want the horse to spend all day hunting in anything with long girth straps - there would seem to be a lot of narrowly concentrated pressure on their sides.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I’ve recently ordered an Equipe Expression monoflap, having not ridden in a monoflap before.

I’d recommend going to an independent saddler and trying a few. I went with a very fixed idea of what I wanted, but none suited me or the horse. We tried various albions, a John Whitaker, Kent and masters among others. The Equipe was not what I had in mind and I wasn’t keen, but as soon as I got on I changed my mind completely. I found it so comfortable, so secure, the horse felt amazing in it. So I ordered one! 8-12 week lead time sadly thanks to Covid ?

It was a good lesson for me to learn - recommendations are fine, but really you just won’t know until you try, and to keep an open mind.
I would never have considered an Equipe before. And so many people love the Albion monoflap, it was what I really wanted but I couldnt stand it, totally wrong for my shape.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I personally don't think you're likely get used to it, some people need more under their thighs, and/or wider twists, though in part it can depend on the horse. On wider horses sometimes people who prefer narrow twists will find that the twist prevents the flaps wrapping round the horse smoothly, from the top, and feels off, and unsupportive, let alone the effect a narrow twisted tree can have on a wide horse.

Asha

Visit site
I ride my wide ID mare in the Equipe Olympia dressage (which is a monoflap)and the equipe synergy SJ saddle, which is close contact but double flap. I love both, super comfy and secure. She goes well in both, so if it fits and you feel comfy/secure just go for it.