Clothes smell horrible after washing

Amun

Visit site
Hi everyone, I need advice on washing. I started to help with horse grooming in our yard recently and my riding clothes smell awful even after washing. I just washed it and no exaggeration, it smells as bad as before washing ? how do you wash your clothes, or what product do you add? Unfortunately, I can't wash it for more than 40degrees according to the label. Thanks a lot! edit: washing machine is new and clean and only the horse clothes are affected

Last edited:

Amun

Visit site
I use just surf powder and no softener as my jodhpurs are softshell. With the exception of jodhpurs, I use a tumble dryer but clothes still smell bad X.x Will definitely try disinfectant, top priority on my shopping list now! Thanks! Machine is definitely clean, we clean it regularly and "normal" clothes is lovely

Amun

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Silly question, if I use Calgon antibacterial or disinfectant while washing normal clothes, will it also remove the smell of fabric softener? Just want to know if I can use it for everything or only for smelly horsey clothes ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Persil biological. And 40 degrees should be sufficient.

The first thing to do though is clean your machine. Put it on empty the hottest wash possible with detergent.
This would be my first port of call too.
Also I always use a Calgon tablet in every wash which helps keep my washing machine clean and in good nick. I found the receipt for it the other day - purchased in 2004!

TreeDog

Visit site
I live in an area with hard water, struggled for ages not so much with my clothes or horse stuff but particularly OHs clothes would smell musty after washing. I also now use calgon 3 in 1 water softener tablets, they're expensive but make a big difference and better than washing everything twice. Also, don't overfill the machine!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Depends how dirty the clothes are. If really dirty, soak and rinse before washing and don't overfill the machine.
White vinegar in the softener drawer works well and whenever possible, hang out on the washing line to dry.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Silly question, if I use Calgon antibacterial or disinfectant while washing normal clothes, will it also remove the smell of fabric softener? Just want to know if I can use it for everything or only for smelly horsey clothes ?

I have a thing for bold 2 in 1 lavendar+ camomile.
Makes no difference whether I use tesco/dettol laundry cleanser in it or not - I essentially use the cleanser for everything I sweat in. But some loads are mixed sweaty/non sweaty

holeymoley

Visit site
Could you wear a pair of waterproofs over your riding clothes for doing yard duties? I do this if I’m helping at a friend’s yard.

I’ve never had any trouble with washing though, horse clothes get put in with all the others at 30c with non bio powder and softner.

TwoForTwo

Visit site
I work 6 days a week on the yard and my clothes always smell lovely after washing so no idea why yours don’t, there must be something up with your machine, we use whichever brand is on offer in the shop, mum does prefer Ariel though

mariew

Visit site
Maybe we are all immune to it! If you do a lot of mucking out in straw things will really hum but a regular wash should get rid of it without any particular problems.