Clydesdale feed

Izzy2019

New User
Visit site
Hi. I have a 4 year old Clydesdale he’s not overworked maybe riden 3 to 4 times a week, he’s 17hh a propa giant but I have a little problem he’s up to date with worming ect. But seems to be dropping weight ? He’s on mollichaff conditioning cubes and fast fibre twice a day and he eats loads of hay. He’s turned out at the min for 6 hours a day till weather gets better. Has anyone got any idea what I can add/drop or change in his food I don’t want him to get to hyped up but need some weight gain. Regards Terry

SEL

Visit site
My Ardennes is 3hh shorter (but about 17h wide) and I also struggle to keep weight on him over winter. The heavies really do need hay or haylage pumping into them. Depending on how much grass you've got, you might need to hay the field as well. I have to start on haylage around now otherwise he drops too much as his coat changes in March.

Kwik beet, copra and linseed plus a good quality balancer are what I've found over the past few years are the best for maintaining weight - plus as much haylage / hay as I can get down him. I go up to 2 cups a day of linseed depending on how he's doing.

Have you weighed your hay? M is getting through 15-20kg a night and we've still got good grass in the field (he's about 675kg)

abbijay

Visit site
I got my clydesdale at 6 but he still proceeded to grow a further inch (to 18.1hh!) so I suspect some of what you're watching could well be a growth spurt! Some winter better than others and some are better doers than others but don't underestimate how much a heavy horse can eat in cold weather. Mine has a full rack of haylage (and I mean full, not separated or fluffed up at all!) and then has a 75l trug overflowing with more haylage and it's high quality/energy haylage too although he is in more work than yours and a fair bit older too (16 this year).
Linseed meal (not the lozenges) is my go to for additional condition too without any fizz but I'm also adding grass nuts now.
I feed very similarly to SEL - Speedibeet, linseed, a vit supplement and then I add oats and grass nuts according to work.
Somethings to be aware of: a diet high in protein is not generally good for the heavies joints, especially the youngster, and many heavies have some level of intolerance to alfalfa and soya products.

Izzy2019

New User
Visit site
Lots of ppl are saying linseed so going to give it ago. I’ve a feeling he’s had a little growth spurt lol just disheartening when you notice he’s lost a little condition thank you for your reply’s

The Trooper

Visit site
I've a shire mare, 6yo and she dropped alot of condition at the start of winter (It wasn't even really winter!) so i've brought her in and she gets around 1/3 of a square bale of haylage each night and a large net of hay, as well as 2 hard feeds consisting of 2x cups micronised linseed, 1/2 round scoop of calm and condition (1/2 scoop before soaked), round scoop of Alpha a oil chaff as well as her daily turmeric and selenavite e from equine products UK for her mineral and vitamins.

She is looking better but its taking time. Alot of time. I am aware Shires don't really stop growing up until 8 and filling out until 10 so want to make sure she has plenty to eat as i want her big and strong!

Auslander

Visit site
How much weight has he actually dropped? Unless he's looking poor - too much rib showing, hollow flanks I'd be inclined to not panic. It's better for heavier types to be slightly on the light side, especially when they're young. A bit of weight loss in winter is natural, and often a good thing!

Darlabean

Visit site
My Clyde gets grass chaff, baileys cond cubes, and mug of linseed, carrots x 3 daily and ad lib hay during day with normal sized haylage net at night.

tda

Visit site
Try ànd stick to fibre, fibre fibre, not much prepared feeds, linseed is fab, slow and steady for these types.
Pic would be lovely x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had 2 Clydesdales and a Shire as well as a Westphalian Kaltblut. IME they all do best with ad-lib forage and fibre-based bucket feeds, all our horses have soaked grassnuts (actually we use haycobs now) with linseed/speedibeet added as necessary along with salt. I wouldn't use a 'mix' of any kind.