Clydesdale training report

abbijay

Visit site
We’ve not been out competing in a while through a combination of holidays, starting a new job and training for my first triathlon but there has still been a lot going on so I thought I would enjoy writing a training update. Grab a drink and a snack, I’m never one to be concise.
We have been working hard and trying to develop a few new party tricks to show off at the upcoming Cheshire Show. I went on holiday for a week after Easter and left Alfie on boot camp with my instructor. I came back to a horse with a much improved canter and the beginnings of a trot half pass. https://www.facebook.com/ArclidAlfie/videos/pcb.1762666990460531/1762664943794069/?type=3&theater I’ve never had him schooled before but it was incredible the difference she’s made to him and he certainly impressed her, “the only reason this horse won’t go to grand prix is that he’s too old.” High praise from someone who has trained horses to GP before! Shame Alfie turns 15 next week.
This has made me more determined than ever to keep going and see where we get to. She has now started teaching me to ride the half pass and this week we had a go at them in canter too! They’re wobbly and they’re inconsistent but there are definite moments of real half pass and I’m giddy as a kipper that I’m playing with the big boy dressage moves. I’ve got 4 weeks to nail them and they WILL be getting flashed about in our demo. His new nickname is the Sidey-Clydie!
She knows I like to be pushed and challenged so we’re now building in all the moves from Medium with the hope of giving an unaff one a try before the year’s out. I think I need to buy another set of test sheets.
We have had a couple of outings lately; firstly a trip round the farm ride for a gossip and a gallop with another heavy horse friend. Then we got a random phone call from the local FE college. They were a demo short at their open day in 2 weeks and wondered if I could step in with a 30-45 minute, self-commentated, entertaining presentation of my heavy horse. WTH! The last time I went to their venue I was doing Team Quest at Intro (only a couple of months ago), I had no idea where they’d had my name from. I naturally agreed as I love a challenge but there were a few sleepless nights as I pulled together 30 minutes demoing the versatility and greatness of heavy horses culminating in my first foray into a dressage to music. We had a brilliant time and the DTM video had over 15k views on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ArclidAlfie/videos/1791790664214830/ The only advice my hubby gave me was, “next time love we need to work on your fitness, you sounded like you were on to a dirty chat line at some points.” I’m ok at riding and I’m ok at public speaking, I certainly wouldn’t say I’m a pro at either, but combining the 2 was a whole new level of challenge. Next time I write my CV that skill is definitely going on it!
We decided to include a little jumping in our demo, I haven’t really jumped for 2 ½ years after Alfie had pastern joint surgery. I have always been paranoid that this is what will break him but with encouragement from my instructor we’ve popped a handful of small fences. There is no better way to spend a Friday night than haring around the cross country field and popping some fun logs just because. And both halves of this partnership will agree on that! https://www.facebook.com/ArclidAlfie/videos/1796088497118380/ I might be turning him into a dressage diva but at heart he’s still The Cross-Country Clydesdale.
Next up is riding club camp the weekend after next. Please cross your fingers for us, last time I tried to go to camp one of us decided to go lame the night before and the other of us was 8 weeks pregnant with twins. One of those things will definitely not be the case but I’m preparing to wrap Alfie in cotton wool soon. Please cross your fingers that nothing happens between now and then! I am most excited about my lessons with one instructor who, last time she judged me at Novice, said we weren’t good enough to be out. Naturally I’m looking forward to proving that we have got a LOT better although the prospect of 2 nights off from the twins, quality time with the (4 legged) boy and drinking fruity cider while talking horses are all things to cherish.
So May has been good, let's hope June continues in this exciting vein!

Bernster

Visit site
Fantastic update, sounds you are doing brilliantly. I have trouble enough riding and breathing so riding and doing a spoken demo at the same time is awesome, well done. Sounds like a great May indeed. Good for you for sticking at it but not impressed by that judge's comment about not being good enough for novice, that's hardly encouraging, and there must be more constructive ways of saying that!