clydesdales

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have a half bred clyde, other half is ID. Very sensible but forward going and willing. Would not be a mugs companion given her intelligence but once she knew the goal posts she settled down. Manners missing when I bought her and she used her considerable bulk to go where she fancied.

Not the quickest or most athletic but tries very hard. Took a little while to school her off her forehand and get control of the shoulders. Cheap to keep and tough. Barefoot in the main, although has been shod for cubbing after losing her footing on a steep bank. Health wise, very good but mites have to be aggressively managed daily.

Clipping is never ending summer and winter - but I like my horses smart if they are in full time work.

She is very affectionate unless I annoy her and I have grown to love her dearly. She carried me when I was having chemotherapy and knew I was not right, that was the turning point for me with her and unless something unforeseen happens she will have a home for life.

Martha14july12005.jpg

Martha14july12013.jpg

A pure bred will be pricey to shoe, feed and be limited in the ridden aspect. If you want an all round fun horse capable of carrying weight and easy to keep I would recommend a half bred.

Brontie

Visit site
Clydesdale's aren't given the credit their due, many people see them as clumsy large 'cart' horses. Yes, they're a good draft breed and can be driven but they also make fantastic riding horses which many people refuse to acknowledge.
They're a docile breed, inquisitive, quick to learn and every one i've come across knows how big they are. (There's nothing worse than a heavy that doesn't realise they're heavy!)

Have a look on Facebook at 'Ridden Heavy Horses' and 'The British Ridden Heavy Horse Society.'

Don't hesitate to drop me a message if you'd like to know anymore or want some more FB groups which may be of interest to you.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I had a Clydesdale and they are still my biggest horsey love by a mile. Mine was gentle and easy. He could have a bit of a nap at times but was very well behaved otherwise. Never needed shoes.
On the downside they are definitely NOT cheap to feed etc xx

Kaylum

Visit site
Mine was 3/4 Clyde at a guess. He would do anything go anywhere.

Was hunting fit and never fizzy. He is 21 now and still the same.

Hexx

Visit site
My dear departed Gus was a Clydesdale x - he was the most perfect horse you could wish for. Turned his hoof to anything - dressage, showing, jumping You could hack him on the buckle for a mooch, or go for a real blast.

I miss him so much!

I would definitely recommend a clyde x, however, they are like gold dust- once you have one, you are not going to let it go!

Cobbytype

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime was part Clydesdale. Absolutely brilliant horse. Quirky, kind, funny, nice long stride, canter not great, fabulous to hack, not boring as not a plod, but not fizzy. I'd have never had parted with him for the world.

One thing to be wary of though are the health issues... leg problems such as mud fever, mallanders, mite infestation and Chronic Progressive Lymphoedema are quite common and many draft horses are predisposed to EPSM/PSSM.

Morag4

Visit site
My lad is full clydesdale, we hack, do RC clinics, fun rides and our first dressage comp the other week, they are great fun, he's a rock steady hack 99% of the time unless cows are involved then he channels his inner throughbred!

Everything is larger (bridle, saddle etc) shoes cost twice as much than an average sized horse!

Sorry can't post pics.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Shire cross can be reasonably smart. Possibly sharper than Clyde x though.

Finding what you want will be difficult, unless you buy a youngster and do it yourself. Made and mannerly heavy horses tend to have homes for life.

DSCF1780_zpsc1fkkyp5.jpg

Cobbytype

Visit site
Shire cross can be reasonably smart. Possibly sharper than Clyde x though.

Finding what you want will be difficult, unless you buy a youngster and do it yourself. Made and mannerly heavy horses tend to have homes for life.

DSCF1780_zpsc1fkkyp5.jpg

Ted has just breathed a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that you won't list him on flea-bay after all:)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
thank you everyone, i'm thinking about getting one for my novice hubby

Our first Clydesdale mare was for a novice OH. She was absolutely perfect as a bombproof hack. We hacked her home from the vendor's and she didn't turn a hair at 40 cyclist hollering and whooping as they passed us on the A road, an ambulance with blue flashing light or the milk tanker which passed us going in both directions on a narrow road.
She was another who was very wary of cows and nearly walked over a Mini when a bull looked at her from the other side of a field next to the road! But when she came to live next to some beef cattle and reaised that they had babies, she changed her mind.

She gave both horses and riders confidence on the road and once took her own field companion who didn't like large vehicles and 2 strangers past a bus in the village, where there is only just room for 2 vehicles to pass. We were very sad to lose her to a bad heart but the vet thought she was almost 40 by then, (so born in the 60s).

The 2nd Clydesdale mare was about 6 yrs old when we bought her, she was equally bombproof.
The day we got mixed up with a charity bed-push could have been horrendous but she was unfazed by the rattling behind and in front of her and the only problem was when she heard the applause round a corner she wanted to go and see what was happening whilst I thought our best route was to turn away from the village to a quieter hack. She was always difficult with her feet and had to be sedated to be trimmed. Sadly we had only had her for 4 yrs when she had to be pts when an internal tumour burst.

I would be very wary about buying another pure-bred because the gene pool is now very small, so they are not as robust as they used to be as a breed.

ETA, sorry no photos on computer but 1st mare was almost identical to HP's pic, standing 16.3hh and the 2nd was a hand taller at 17hh and very dark blue roan.

Last edited:

Dreckly

Visit site
I would be another to advocate a cross. I have a shire x hannovarian who is totally awesome. Can move as well and jumps like a stag, a kind gentle chap.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One of my Police Horses was half Clydesdale.

The other half (from memory) was ID X TB.

A photo of him on patrol doing some water training in an ornamental lake in a town centre...

Edward%20water%20training%20at%20football_zpsvmb7ltba.jpg

And another on a park. I KNOW he s held too tight, but what you can't see is the fun fair just out of shot, so he is being encouraged to concentrate more than usual...

How%20big%20is%20Edward_zpsvm30unft.jpg

He could actually move, for a biggie!

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
I have a lovely pure bred but not registered Clydie. 18.2 and a bit and looks exactly like a drum horse! Typical cow hocks, huge roman nose and long legs.

I love him to bits, he's the kindest and gentlest horse on the ground, loads himself into a lorry and gets used as a nanny at shows.

But... He is not a novice ride. He's very responsive, forward and can be spooky. His movement is huge, especially in trot - I've ridden dressage bred warmbloods who throw you around less. And the sheer size of him is duanting - getting on and off feels like an undertaking, his head is so far away you feel like you're driving. My fairly novice OH will lead him around but won't dream of sitting on him.

My lad is a decent all rounder. He hacks, does dressage, shows and used to work in harness (I'm hoping to learn to plough next year). I'm sure he would jump but I don't want to strain his legs with the effort, although we sometimes do cross pole classes at the local RS for a laugh.

Other downsides: tack is a nightmare. His bit, bridle and reins have to be made to measure. He's unshod but trims cost a fortune. He can't fit in a trailer and can easily tip a lorry over its payload. He eats more than you could believe and you need a box to groom on. There is no way he'd fit in a standard loose box. You have to learn a whole new way to plait manes and tails and explain constantly 'no, he isn't a shire.'

There are also some health issues in the Clyde. They're prone to cancers and eye troubles; my boy has lost his third eyelid to cancer and I live in fear of it returning.

Feather mites and mud fever are possible with any horse, I wouldn't worry too much.

Short answer: wonderful horses, lots of extra issues and costs, dont buy into the idea that heavies make good novice horses - they can be anything but! Try to get to know a few before you make your mind up.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Do it! Adventure Clydesdale is a grand day out.
Ooh, have you been? I follow them on FB and it looks awesome.

They supply the mounts for the annual 2 furlong charity Clydesdales race at Exeter Racecourse, here's the video of last year's race.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tN7rwPkV8

What a spectacle! Below is a quote from Tim Ancrum.

“They won't do what a racehorse will do, but then a racehorse won't do what a Clydesdale can do.

"I would say that they will do 18-20mph when they are really going. It's like a Range Rover sport, compared to a Ferrari."

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I ride one for his owner - he is a full Clydesdale. He is lovely, a real big gentle giant! He does have a quirky side and can be stubborn! Used to have a few problems hacking out on his own which is why I started riding him but he is pretty good these days... also I have been schooling him and he is going fantastically in walk and trot with real potential for walk/trot dressage tests but as others have said canter isn't great because it just isn't natural for a Clydesdale to canter - trot makes up for it though, medium trot, piaffe, passage - you name it he can do it! I do have rather a big soft spot for him! :D He also enjoys to pop small jumps!