C'mon, Own up. How many of you would

outandabout

Visit site
My OH would never ask... he loves the horse too. I offered to put the horse out on loan so we could have a break financially for a while (we are trying to save for a house) and he said 'Absolutely not'. My OH is lovely :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
My hubby met me when I had Merls so he knew my horse came 1st no matter what....there is a pecking order in my house...

Horse
Cats
Hubby :D

he has accepted this for a nice quite life I think lol...he helps me with the horses anyway and supports me with them cos he knows it makes me happy :D

zandp

Visit site
Mine did say it last year a lot. I told him he'd be leaving then.

He then got all upset about my selfishness but eventually did understand that it was the ultimatum that I didn't like. I've never moaned about his endless motorbikes / mountain bikes and cars and the money and time he spends on them. Nor have I moaned about his job that has him away at weekends for most of the summer and coming home really late 2 weeks in 4.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
My other half knows i will never give them up for him.
I had them before i met him and if i did give horses up it would be my decision, no influence or pressure form him.

HotToTrot

Visit site
It would depend why he said it, I guess! If it was because I was spending too much time with the horse and therefore neglecting him, then selling the horse would be a fairly nuclear solution. You'd hope that we would have talked about it before it got to that stage and if we still hadn't rectified it, then I guess we'd be over anyway so I'd choose the horse. I doubt he would just come up with it out of the blue!

LauraWheeler

Visit site
An OH should be there for life (potentially) to offer emotional support, help, guidance, love, etc etc- a horse seriously can not help you when things get tough- cant see neddy sitting with the bank manager, can you?

Maybe not with the bank manager but my animals are a great support to me. Lucy was there for me for 12 years. My best friend and if it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here anymore!!! My OH tries his best but he's not that good with emotions. I still get very upset about Lucy and the OH tells me to just get over it, she died in July for gods sake :eek: :mad: :mad:
But my dog Charlie Brown always comes over, Sits on my lap and tries to lick the tears off my face. Then I take Herbie for a ride and life seems worth it again.
Honestly If he asked me to choose he would be out the door like a shot.

Piglet

Visit site
My husband did ask me that question a couple of years ago, "If I asked you to choose between me or ******, who would you choose?". My reply (after careful thought was) "Of course I would choose you hun - BUT I WOULD RESENT YOU FOR EVER" to which hubby replied "that's not a very nice thing to say" My comment was "Don't ask such a silly question" ha ha, bless him, he has now accepted the fact:D:eek:

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
I had the horses way before he came in to my life - through horses.

I have for the last 3 years been horseless due in part to finances and i do resent it enormously. To his credit Hubby has admitted he misses them too & looks forward to us hopefully getting one at some point in the not to distant future:D

S14Tobin

Visit site
I had mine when I met OH, and not once has he asked me to consider anything, even when we've been really tight money-wise... which I appreciate SO much seeing as I hardly ride! He didn't really want me to get a pony for daughter, but I did, he's now out on loan (ok, OH was right on that one, she lost interest very quickly!) BUT...What he HAS asked is when P goes, we have a 2 year break.... which is fine, and I will do that, he deserves it. Plus, it gives me 2 years to loose weight and get the money together for a Morgan! (I may have omitted to tell him that part of the bargain though....):rolleyes:

squiz22

Visit site
Mine wouldn't because he knows how much horses mean to me and it would be pretty selfish for him to ask that of me.

Perhaps if I had loads and made no time for him I could understand it but I don't.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I suppose in this scenario I am the OH and I understand my place.
Horses
Dogs
Husband.
Dont have a problem with that. I can take care of myself, the others can't.
We met through horses, we've had some of the biggest highs and lowest lows over the last 20 years through horses. They are very much a part of our life.
All that said, I know if I did ask my wife to choose between me and the horses she would choose me. However, she also knows I would never ask her to get rid of the horses unless we were in serious trouble financially and the kids were likely to suffer. Take the kids out of the equation and she knows I would live in a grotty caravan if it was the only way she could keep her horses.
The horses are part of who we are, without them we wouldn't be the same people.

Sparkles

Visit site
Woould? No would about it. The question would be turned it's me [including the mud, horse hair, jods and all] and the horses [of any quantity], or nothing!

Never had the question though tbh. It's made plainly clear from the start.

Which would probably be why I'm a singleton most the time haha!! Rather be out riding, than poncing about actually having to look half decent haha!.

kirstie

Visit site
I would never say that I put my horse or dogs before my OH, he is very important to me, as are they.

If he asked me to get rid of my horse for selfish reasons, not serious financial ones, he wouldn't be the man that I fell in love with so he would have to go. That doean't mean I love my horse more than him though!

I broke my back in September when backing a young horse, my family and he wanted me to think about not riding again. That just wasn't an option for me, so I have compromised in that I have promised not to back a youngster again, which we are both happy with.

Brambridge04

Visit site
Depends, for financial reasons, putting extra strain on us, i'd try to at least part loan / full loan, if it didnt work, would have no choice but to sell. (cant see the situation arising to be honest but i know 2 or 3 of my friends, who would part loan, i just dont want to share as she isnt really broken at the moment! and i wouldnt really want to anyway.....)

He wouldnt ask me to get rid for selfish reasons, as he adore's her and helps out at the yard so he can spend extra time with me and her! and is even interested in buying her foal off her previous owner!

However if the situation arose, i'd have no choice but to let her go, but as he has just said, it will never happen!

eggs

Visit site
If it was a case of Me and OH having a roof over our heads, and food in our bellies or the horse having the same then, OBVIOUSLY the horse would go- humans should always come before any animal IMO.

An OH should be there for life (potentially) to offer emotional support, help, guidance, love, etc etc- a horse seriously can not help you when things get tough- cant see neddy sitting with the bank manager, can you?

If my OH was a jealous wassock who decided he did not like me having horses because he was jealous of the time/money/love they got then he would not be the chap for me and as such wqould not be my OH!!!

I couldn't have put it better

nikCscott

Visit site
If he said it and really meant it then the horses would go.

OH is very understanding and tolerant of the beasts so there would be a blooming good reason for him thinking it was necessary. He is the love of my life. The horses are pets.

I'm the same - OH works abroad so I need the horses to keep me safe and make the most of my child free time- he understands that:)