Coalition govn to review hunting act...... anyone know details??

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
Read it on the latest news thing that H and H flash up!! Does anyone know details ??

:D :confused: :)

The details from Horse and Hound are:

Coalition government will review the Hunting Act

Abigail Butcher, H&H head of news

14 August, 2010

Check out the latest H&H subscription offers >>

The coalition government has confirmed its intention to offer parliament the chance to review and repeal the 2004 Hunting Act.

The statement comes after the closure in June of an online petition on the Number 10 website calling for repeal of the act.

The government response read: "The Act has not been a demonstrable success. It is an unnecessary drain on police resources and there have been few prosecutions.

"We will put forward a motion before the House of Commons on whether the Act should be repealed and, if the motion is carried, bring forward legislation in due course."

This article was first published in Horse & Hound (12 August, '10)

I agree but when and how long will it take?

So fundamentally another set piece battle on the floor of the House of Commons.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
much appreciated. Will be worth holding out to see what happens. I am only slightly worried as the ban in our area has reduced the number of antis quite a bit. I wonder if this will result in another load coming to 'join' us. I hope not as they are a grumpy and rather dangerous lot.

Judgemental

Visit site
much appreciated. Will be worth holding out to see what happens. I am only slightly worried as the ban in our area has reduced the number of antis quite a bit. I wonder if this will result in another load coming to 'join' us. I hope not as they are a grumpy and rather dangerous lot.

Don't worry about them. If you do it means they are getting to you and winning.

Anyway I think this will be a splendid forum to post pictures of Sabs.

Most Mobile Phones have excellent HD camera's attached and we can set up a 'Rouges Gallery'.

If that is allowed to percolated around the hunting world the Sabs will be very wary of such a facility bearing in mind most of them have criminal activities in which they are engaged.

Yes I know they sometimes wear balaclavas - If they are, then photograph their vehicles and maybe somebody will spot one from their other nefarious activities.

The Internet is a very powerful tool to protect the innocent.

Judgemental

Visit site
Seriously and very seriously everybody must get it through his or her head that there is a COALITION GOVERNMENT running this country.

Whilst a goodly number of MPs are considering the why's and where fore’s of hunting live game.

There will be many wanting to see that hunting is all-inclusive.

HUNTING AS WE KNEW IT IS NOW IN THE LAST CHANCE SALOON

If any of these MP'S of whatever political persuasion think that hunting is anyway socially divisive then forget a repeal with self-regulation

Judgemental

Visit site
It is very simple. Nobody has woken up to the fact the government is a COALITION.

What part of C O A L I T I O N do people not understand.

Nick Clegg has said himself he thinks the whole subject should be left where it is.

Therefore is it is clear the Lib Dems are going to extract an extremely high price from the Conservative party to cut a deal.

Part of the price for certain, will be an end to Social Divisiveness in hunts.

Another part of the deal will be wrapped up in land ownership and the tenancy of land.

If everybody and the Conservative party wants the Hunting Act 2004 repealed, I predict that a remarkable set of Seachanges will occur in the Countryside.

Furthermore the Lib Dems will use the Hunting Act 2004 as a very effective bargaining tool to strengthen their position in the West Country and amongst their core vote.

The Hunting Act 2004 is the best Christmas Present that the Labour Party could have given the Libs Dems and it will be used in remarkable ways - Remember where you first heard this opinion.

Judgemental

Visit site
We seem to have two threads going one political and the other social but it seems the twane are inextricably linked, so I will post on both unless the Moderator invites me to start a new thread for my political rambles.

I don't know where Lord Ashdown (Paddy) stands on the issue these days but years ago he certainly took the tightly regulated view. Bear in mind he stood for a constituency within the Cattistock country and Paddy was well informed on the subject of Social Divisiveness.

East Kent sorry I did not respond with your quote but in essence you are right too little was done before the ban in this respect.

Listen folks you have two Ex Public School boys of the contemporary era, running the country, one of which is an old Etonian and the other Westminster was it? Somebody correct me if I ham wrong.

The latter probably has his heart in the best interests of the country, as does Cameron. However the latter is part of the Great Landed Estates (does his father-in-law not own a chunk of Norfolk) where the sycophantic toadies are two a penny. So Cameron's position is tricky to say the least on the Hunting Act and any deal he cuts with Clegg.

But to come back to the point, if the Lib dems are going to make their mark this will be a major issue for them, bearing in mind the West country is their core vote and hunting is a primary issue (in the countryside) especially where the Devon & Somerset Staghounds and Quantock Staghounds are concerned and excessive numbers of deer eating the dairy farmers grass. The herds at the very least need to be moved on by hounds and only the full pack can do that effectively. The Lib Dems are so I am reliably informed, wanting to move Self Regulation forward especially where the West Country hunts are concerned but on their terms and make 'changes' to the way the countryside is run on a business basis and socially for their ultimate voting kudos. Also in a way that will leave the west country and hunting inoperable without a strong Lib Dem political presence in government, or dare I say it, a Lib Dem government but that I think is too a ‘draw’ too far.

The only problem with all this is if Clegg thinks he has the whip hand and starts running a heel line in these matters.

However, I predict that they will keep Cameron in Downing Street for the duration of this government i.e. up to 15 May 2015 because it is the only way they can achieve anything, especially having been out of office for what, 100 years.

I am also reliably informed that Lord Paddy Ashdown has a very firm hand on the reins of hunting. That is no bad thing because he understand the subject in detail.

So when you think government, think COALITION and remember Cameron has to cut a deal on just about everything with Clegg and Co to stay in Downing Street.

Last edited: