Coat condition dilemma.

ElleJS

Visit site
One of my eventers has had a few skin issues this winter (vets not sure what it is but awful rash on belly, a bit on neck, under saddle that was super itchy and hair all came out so very sore & painful she also randomly had it last Spring as well) my thoughts could be sweat reaction that got infected but I am very vigilant and some may say possible OCD about her stable management so have never left sweat on her- any way she had to have steroids for it- ever since it seems to have ruined her coat, its thinner and coarser hair rather than thick & silky. The rash disappeared after the steroids and grew back quick. but now the tack rubs her coat which never happened before, the reins rub her neck, saddle rub her sides etc is almost rubbed it all off its so thin and i have dead sheeped all of her tack to stop this, she is a walking sheepskin!! I even put long towels under saddle as my legs rub her & I never wear spurs!!! She has antibacterial Bucas rugs and the rash has not come back but anyone have any ideas what more I can do? I'm assuming the only thing I can do is change her diet and I am about to use Arc Equine so hoping that will help too.

Horse info: This is what I feed when she is in full work 6/7 days a week (she is rising 7 16.hh KWPN mare, events at intermediate level & show jumping at 1m30 currently)

This feed regime works perfectly for her energy/work load balance and she is ideal weight. I'm really anti cereals.
2 scoops Saracen Re Leve
3 mugs Baileys outshine
3 scoops ready grass
2 mugs cereal free balancer

Split over 2 feeds. Ad lib hay, out for a few hours in day if possible (when not ridiculous snow/rain!) a very happy horse that lives to work. She is laid back in stable but buzzy ride. Grumpy mare sometimes with other horses and is grumpy doing her saddle since her skin problems up but isn't grumpy with the fairfax girth or as long as the girth has sheepskin on (sensitive mare huh!!) definitely hasn't got ulcers though.

Hope that info helps, would love ideas of anything I could do or if anyone thinks the steroids have caused the problem? I hate her not having a glossy coat like all my others! She is white grey so hard to make them shiny but its not healthy looking at the mo IMO. I'm tempted to clip her again as she has gone so cat hairy but not sure this is a good idea!

Feisty Mare

Visit site
You are feeding similar to what I feed mine - releve, equijewel, alfa-a, I also feed some linseed with this and horse has a lovely coat (also grey). I have fed linseed since I bought him last year and loathed to stop as it really seems to help his coat. But your diet it already high oil so...maybe it is the steroids...don't know really, that wasn't very helpful I guess!

ElleJS

Visit site
Yeah I was thinking linseed so may try adding some, perhaps instead of outshine. Maybe she just needs the sun on her back!

WelshD

Visit site
My little grey welshie had steroids last year for sweet itch. His coat went very thin too with thick coarse hairs that were longer. His rugs didn't rub though (can't comment on tack as he isn't ridden)

He is moulting now and the new coat looks good so far, the coarseness is going and the new coat looks more even

Fingers crossed for yours

ElleJS

Visit site
Not had bloods run. Was wondering I should. She has had various treatments in the last 12months so whether these have upset her balance a bit or perhaps... Her vet is due to see her next few days so will talk to him. Surprised he hasn't already suggested bloods.

Welsh D, thats interesting I think steroids cam have that effect. Will def try Linseed. How much do you feed along side Outshine

I used to have her on Alfa Oil and cut it out she got the skin condition, I think the Re Leve has Alfa a I'm though so really I should stop feeding that but she operates so well on it & can't find an Alfa free alternate?

WelshD

Visit site
Elle, my pony has a quarter mug of outshine and the same of linseed, he is only 11hh mind!
He also gets 50g of brewers yeast powder which is supposed to be good for itchy horses

wench

Visit site
Def have the bloods done.

How about trying some probiotics, or maybe Global Herbs De-tox (this says it will leave the horse with a nice coat!)

Scarlett

Visit site
Was she on the same diet when this happened last time?

I've seen similar reaction in horses that were sensitive to soya, and know too much soya makes one of mine go scurfy/itchy and super sensitive to being rubbed by tack. Theres a lot of soya in horse feeds now and various studies saying it's not always the easiest thing for horses to digest.

ElleJS

Visit site
Really interesting replies thank you, will look into them all, first port of call is vet is going to take bloods when he comes out, fingers crossed its nothing sinister.