Cob and tall rider saddle help!

ponygirl01

New User
Visit site
Hi I’ve got a 14.1 traditional cob currently in a 16” wintec as the best fit for her small back but I’m 5’7 and finding it is throwing me out of the seat ... has anyone had similar experience and what saddles could anyone recommend? Thank you in advance 😊

Kat

Visit site
This was why we ended up with a solution saddle. With a treed saddle saddle horse needed 17", I needed a 17.5 and husband needs an 18"

MuddyTB

Visit site
My mum had a similar problem with her Welshie and ended up with an Ideal VSD saddle. The slightly straighter cut gave her a better leg position and more room.
This was suggested by the saddle fitter so would suggest you contact a couple of local ones and see what ideas they have.

Julia0803

Visit site
Like MuddyTB we also ended up with an ideal VSD in a similar situation. Cob was 14.2 and could just take a 17.5 in ideal (not in wintec tho) and that seemed to be one of the very few that fitted both him and 13 year old son who must have been about 5'10/11ish at the time.

Make sure you fins a saddler who fits both of you. We used Laura from Bridlepath international and she was great. We had had a saddle fitted about 6 weeks previously by a very well regarded local saddler which fitted pony beautifully but was awful for my son, his thigh was far too long and didn't fit comfortably with the blocks so was pushing his lower leg back and tipping him forward.

catkin

Visit site
I am the same height as you and ride a 13.3 Fell in a 16 inch working hunter saddle.

You may find that a straighter cut saddle will suit you both

also pay very close attention to the balance of the saddle, and make sure that you keep up with regular saddle-checks. Our saddle fits us both well but there's very little 'wriggle-room' on the fit if it needs the flocking adjusted.

Kikke

Visit site
Not the same but my hubby is 6'7 and has a belgium draft 17.1hh.
We could fit him in a 18" saddle but still looked tiny on him, not in length but in flaps and it wouldn't fit my hubbies legs.
We had our saddler measure him for a ideal GP. made to suit both horse and rider and to fit perfectly!!