cob cross arab's...

Enfys

Visit site
No, and neither would I.

Why would anyone want to?

Just to get (maybe) a coloured cross breed?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I really like the Welsh Arab cross and have known a few and they were not for the faint hearted, they are two very intelligent breeds so you get that trait from both sides, out of interest what stallion are you thinking of using?

rowan666

Visit site
I don't have a coloured cob? I have a performance bred section d and am thinking of using a straight Egyptian stallion of the highest calibre...

I think this would be an excellent cross, I'm not generally a fan of Ds but crossed with an arab I can wholeheartedly see the the appeal, all the grace, beauty, elegance and brains of the Arab combined with with the extra bone of a stockier type=perfection in my book! I had a Connie cross arab and she was honestly faultless so hardy yet elegant and versatile. I have begged my friend to let me have her stunning D (the only D on the planet I like and Im totally smitten with her!) to breed with an arab but she's having none of it, I'll keep pestering till she gives in! :-D

dominobrown

Visit site
When you said cob cross arab I must admit I thought the same as Enyfs, specially if its a big plain common thing.... However... welsh d's have a bit more about them... a bit of blood even so cross well.
I think crossing to breeds which are polar opposites don't work well is most cases.
You do see some nice welsh/arabs crosses though.

NZJenny

Visit site
Welsh pony/Arabian crosses are great. Not so sure about cobs though - we have some clydie/Arabian type crosses here and they tend to come out looking a bit like corgis.

Horses2222

Visit site
Sorry to jump on your post! Read few of you said welsh x Arab is nice I looked at one today did try have me off but can't stop thinking of him i really liked him everyone said stay clear as its a Arab no good don't jump etc & very green have any of you met a welshie x Arab was it a typical Arab or depending on horses nature?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My son's horse is Anglo-arab x cob out of my friends cob mare who was probably more Irish than anything else. He is an amazing horse - well put together with a great brain and very talented. He has done a bit of everything including lots of Pony Club, a small amount of hunting, has evented to BE Intermediate, and BD Elementary (soon to Medium) but is sensible enough for me to hack and do some TREC with. His party piece is an incredible piaffe. He is incredibly deceptive as he looks like an overgrown Exmoor ambling around the field but is a real show off in the arena. I think he is a total one-off. His full brother is not nearly as well made and a lot less talented.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I used to compete my friend's welsh d x arab. He was exceptionally versatile. I had him out at advanced level endurance rides at the same time as his other rider had him out at county level working hunter where he did equally well. He'd hunt through the winter, too. He won the Welsh part bred performance award one year.

It was knowing him that sowed the seeds of me getting my own Welsh cross arab, and if Wolf can do even half of what Orrie achieved I will be more than happy. Wolf's Welsh side is from similar lines to Orrie, but he has a bit of saddlebred in the mix too.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
My mare is a Welsh x Arab, and I agree with everyone else about not for the faint hearted. She's 5 at the moment, and has an opinion on her. But she is very bold, has an incredible jump on her, I've jumped her up to 2'9 myself, but loose jumping she is insane!
She won't ever be a show pony as she is very fizzy, but I'm hopeful that she will be an eventer in time, when I get my nerve too :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
My first ever own horse was an Arab with a bit of welsh D. She was awesome. She wasn't the biggest in the world (a small 14.3hh) but she jumped out of British Novice within a few months of her affiliated career which didn't begin until she was in her mid teens and she'd happily jump a Discovery course. Before that she would win every time at unaffiliated open classes. She was also fantastic as gymkhana games and easily held her own in Chase me Charlie comps.

I had the pleasure of breaking her in and bringing her on myself as she was only rising three when I bought her. She was one of the most fun horses I've ever owned.

Yes she was sharp, but I like sharp, but she wasn't dangerous in any way shape of form.

When I was looking at horses last time round I really wanted another arab/welsh D cross but they seem to be like hens teeth these days.

Oh, did I mention she was chestnut too LOL

*Sahara

Visit site
My first ever own horse was an Arab with a bit of welsh D. She was awesome. She wasn't the biggest in the world (a small 14.3hh) but she jumped out of British Novice within a few months of her affiliated career which didn't begin until she was in her mid teens and she'd happily jump a Discovery course. Before that she would win every time at unaffiliated open classes. She was also fantastic as gymkhana games and easily held her own in Chase me Charlie comps.

I had the pleasure of breaking her in and bringing her on myself as she was only rising three when I bought her. She was one of the most fun horses I've ever owned.

Yes she was sharp, but I like sharp, but she wasn't dangerous in any way shape of form.

When I was looking at horses last time round I really wanted another arab/welsh D cross but they seem to be like hens teeth these days.

Oh, did I mention she was chestnut too LOL

I've seen a few on preloved recently :) yes Arab x Welsh Cob is a very nice cross, my dear old boy Legend was an Arab x WD and was an experienced ride all of his life, I did basically learn to ride on him despite him being strong and very spirited, but we just went together like strawberry's and cream :D We also had a 3 part Arab, 1 part welsh cob called Sebastian, he was also a very hot ride :) Both were very Beautiful looking horses with bags of character ;)

*Sahara

Visit site
Sorry to jump on your post! Read few of you said welsh x Arab is nice I looked at one today did try have me off but can't stop thinking of him i really liked him everyone said stay clear as its a Arab no good don't jump etc & very green have any of you met a welshie x Arab was it a typical Arab or depending on horses nature?

Arabs can jump like they have wings :D

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I was a kid, Arab crosses were very popular especially if you didn't want too much height but wanted to add a bit of refinement and blood. Welsh was especially popular though usually B and Cs as they were aiming at pony classes but other natives too.

Actually remember a really pretty little filly out of a coloured cob mare and an Arab stallion that stood locally. As coloured horses weren't fashionable they were disappointed that she inherited mum's colour. She would have made a lovely little horse but unfortunately they used to run the yearlings together and she ended up having a foal at 18 months and had physical problems as a result.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
From age 15 to 18 I had a Welsh Cob X Arab. He was a huge confidence giver, did pony club, hunted Blood Hounds, hunter trialled, dressaged, evented, jumped and was an all round good egg.

I even took him with me when I did my BHS AI at a big equestrian centre, and they used him as a school horse to part pay my way.

He gave me so much confidence I tried to do the Meynell open team chase, and although he tried his best he could not manage the huge hedges (he was only 15.2, and quite stocky).

I sold him to another local pony club home, where he taught 2 sisters to have as much huge fun as I had.

He was not the prettiest, but he was brave, sane, generous and had a great mix of talent and self preservation.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My son's horse is Anglo-arab x cob. He is out of a cob mare who was probably mostly Irish, possibly with some ID.
He is around 16.1h, has evented to BE Intermediate/one star, was a Pony Club stalwart, hunted, hacked (lots) and completed some Trec with me. He is now 21 years old and I'm currently enjoying having some dressage lessons with him. He has a real pony brain in a horse body. He is like Mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way - clever and cheeky but an amazing horse! The main issue was keeping him really fit for eventing - he wouldn't have been close to optimum times at higher levels. He does have one quirk - several people, including professional riders have got off him fairly quickly - he does not respond at all well to riders who are strong in the leg and tight on the reins!

Last edited:

05jackd

Visit site
I have a couple of Welsh x arabs.

One can do novice level dressage one day and then do a 60km endurance ride the next. Anyone can handle her and she is the most switched on pleasure to ride. Not spooky or silly but a solid horse who likes to do a job.

Second one is just recently backed and has taken everything in her stride. She is by a my own straight Egyptian stallion and he really stamps them with a great brain and movement. But she has the attitude of a Welsh and isn’t silly.

I wouldn’t look past this cross for a sensible small adults horse or kids pony they are so adaptable.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would imagine that gypsy cob x Arab is highly likely to bring the worst of both worlds rather than the best.

They're not always easy to saddle, that may have been the issue especially if it's bucking in canter, they often shove the saddle forwards, plus of course horses for sale aren't always saddled well full stop. They can be hot though, for sure.