Cob feathers

Mountainlife

New User
Visit site
I have a lovely cob but he has itchy feathers. I don't want to remove them if I can help it.
I've inspected and there's no mites, cpl, mud fever etc. I can see dry skin though.
I can't wash him now as it's too cold. Any tips on what to use to remove dead skin if I can wash just his feathers? Anything to put on after?

JackFrost

Visit site
I bet there ARE mites. There are different kinds and not all are visible, some are in the skin. They are probably causing the dry skin. Treat as if you do have mites. For his welfare I would remove the feathers to be able to properly treat the skin.

meleeka

Visit site
Agree he’ll have mites. I used a lime dip which although stank, cleared them up without removing feathers. You just dilute in a bucket and lower the foot in to soak for a minute.

Mountainlife

New User
Visit site
I bet there ARE mites. There are different kinds and not all are visible, some are in the skin. They are probably causing the dry skin. Treat as if you do have mites. For his welfare I would remove the feathers to be able to properly treat the skin.
There are no mites. I've had vet out last week and got him to check. I've also treated him for mites previously just in case (when I got him) with mite wash and spray.

Mountainlife

New User
Visit site
Yet he clearly does, you are describing a text book case. Mites arent visible without a skin scrape and microscope. Treating once wont get rid of them either. Its monthly treatments for life for most of them
Yet the vet has done that and he doesn't have mites. Which is why I said he doesn't have mites. Just because it's text book doesn't mean it is. He just has itchy skin. Bit like I get itchy scalp when I have dry skin.

Mountainlife

New User
Visit site
You can’t always see mites. He highly likely does have them but if you don’t want to know about it there isn’t much I can suggest to help it :)
If you're not going to answer my question which was what can I use to clean his feathers then yes please don't suggest anything.
I've had vet out he has checked and there are NO MITES. Which is why I said no mites. Its the first thing I checked and hence why vet was out. If I put no mites I would expect readers to respect that I as a horse owner have said it for good reason

Mountainlife

New User
Visit site
I have a lovely cob but he has itchy feathers. I don't want to remove them if I can help it.
I've inspected and there's no mites, cpl, mud fever etc. I can see dry skin though.
I can't wash him now as it's too cold. Any tips on what to use to remove dead skin if I can wash just his feathers? Anything to put on after?
JUST SO WE ARE ALL CLEAR. THERE ARE NO MITES. The vet has checked last week when he was out. He took scrapings had a good look and said no mites. So please if you're going to suggest mites move on. All I'm asking is what to use to clean his feathers to remove dead skin and the obviously greasiness

meleeka

Visit site
If you're not going to answer my question which was what can I use to clean his feathers then yes please don't suggest anything.
I've had vet out he has checked and there are NO MITES. Which is why I said no mites. Its the first thing I checked and hence why vet was out. If I put no mites I would expect readers to respect that I as a horse owner have said it for good reason

It really annoys me when posters get all huffy over replies when they haven’t even given all the details. If you’d have put in your first post that a vet had taken skin scraping and they showed he didn’t have mites, you wouldn’t have got the answers you have.
Perhaps if he’s already under the vet you should ask them what to do about it next. I’m surprised they haven’t already volunteered that information.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
And I would expect in the first post to say VET skin scraped. Not “I’ve checked”

so good luck with your horse I hope he can find some relief.

deb_l222

Visit site
JUST SO WE ARE ALL CLEAR. THERE ARE NO MITES. The vet has checked last week when he was out. He took scrapings had a good look and said no mites. So please if you're going to suggest mites move on. All I'm asking is what to use to clean his feathers to remove dead skin and the obviously greasiness

THERE REALLY IS NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!!

Just ask your vet. Your responses so far don’t deserve people offering further well meaning advice.

SEL

Visit site
I have two heavily feathered horses. How did the vet check for mites? They burrow into the skin so if the vet just had a rummage in the hair then they haven't done the job thoroughly.

If the vet did skin scrapings to confirm then you've probably got a build up of dead skin cells, sweat etc and its worth trying a good wash with a medicated human dandruff shampoo - something which won't irritate the skin.

If the vet didn't do a skin scrape then report back and I can give my views on how to treat itchy legs in horses which might have mites even if you can't see them. Plenty of practice there annoyingly.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I have 2 feathered cobs. Mites and itchy legs are the bane of my life. Dectomax injection has now stopped working on mine. One of them responds well to mite shampoo but I was getting nowhere with the other one, so I decided to bite the bullet and clip her legs. So glad I did. The crud on her was awful and totally disguised by the feathers. It took several scrubby washes to get rid of the scabs and build up and the smell was awful but her legs look great now. I've been able to properly treat her topically for mites and get the lotions n potions directly on to her skin. Might have to always keep her fully clipped, which is sacrilege, as her feathers were fabulous but her welfare and comfort come first.

SEL

Visit site
I have 2 feathered cobs. Mites and itchy legs are the bane of my life. Dectomax injection has now stopped working on mine. One of them responds well to mite shampoo but I was getting nowhere with the other one, so I decided to bite the bullet and clip her legs. So glad I did. The crud on her was awful and totally disguised by the feathers. It took several scrubby washes to get rid of the scabs and build up and the smell was awful but her legs look great now. I've been able to properly treat her topically for mites and get the lotions n potions directly on to her skin. Might have to always keep her fully clipped, which is sacrilege, as her feathers were fabulous but her welfare and comfort come first.

My little part bred Dales has beautiful floaty feathers - and itchy legs which are totally non responsive to dectomax or shampoo. I think they are going to have to come off and I might cry. But she's chewing them so obviously unhappy.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Poor cob. If it is just itchy skin, then you will probably still need to remove all the feathers to apply a topical cream as nothing will get though feathers to the skin and washing and not drying properly is more likely to make the skin more sensitive.

Smogul

Visit site

I appreciate your frustration about the replies you are getting. My cob had a similar problem and no mites showed on the skin scrapes. However, my vet said that mites do not always show up on scrapes and if it looks like mites, he treats it like mites. Mite treatment was effective. Have you got anything to lose by treating for mites?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Farriers mite spray and shampoo are very effective. If the horse is itchy and stampy I would try those for sure

Nasicus

Visit site
Just putting it out there, but my old mare had chronically itchy feather. Vet skin scraped and they came back clear. We decided to give her a course of frontline spray anyway. And that fixed it.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I tried so hard to keep mine- but after one round of mites, regrowth, and careful care I realised it was only upsetting him. Every few evenings I would spend an hour or more brushing his feathers out to remove scabs/ dry skin which was never ending, wash his legs and use pig oil. He was so uncomfortable still, and I ended up putting him first and I now keep them short. He’s still scabby, but meddling with it makes it so much worse so I just use a small massage brush to break them down and brush them out. Any regrowth makes him very uncomfortable so I’ve kept the lovey mane, clipped his legs, and he looks absolutely lovely still (and he’s less cranky!)