Cob fit but fat- help!

saddlesore

Visit site
As above really! When I say fat he doesn’t have a crest or fat pads, he does have a small gutter over his quarters. Should add he’s a h/w cob. He’s fit, forward and keen but I wish I could get his weight down to where I could at least feel his ribs ? he lives out in a herd, field currently pretty bald but they will move to grass soon. He currently comes in during the day with a small net in a marts net so he can pick at it over a good few hours. He’s fed a small amount of hifi apple chaff to carry his supplements as he has sweetitch and fecal water syndrome. Any advice gratefully received. TIA ☺️

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The main options on the feeding/management front are - that the grass has been stressed and high sugar, that he's still eating too much volume and/or that his hind gut isn't doing quite what it should do, and I think the latter is very common in very good doers.

I'd be careful with him moving onto more grass and do it gradually as you would with any dietary change, but know this may be difficult if at livery. I would consider muzzling, and I would look into something like the Equi-Biome test to work out how well the hind gut is working. Any dietary change can make things worse so it's more of a priority and I'd at least support him with a probiotic during and after the change, but looking directly at the hind gut could be useful.

More work will help but, as with humans, fixing our eating habits is usually more important in dieting - these horses and ponies often gorge themselves and don't feel full in my experience. Just a different way of looking at it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It’s really hard isn’t it!
I can see mine inflating just since I’ve not had a saddle (a week!)
Can you soak hay and maybe muzzle at night when he’s on the better grazing.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I recently sent two of mine swimming for two weeks, they both lost over 30kgs, now have visible ribs and are a lot fitter, they will also have had their metabolism kick started with all the extra excercise. I've tried everything before, track systems, hay soaking, mixing hay with straw, muzzles, and swimming has by far had the best results ☺️

saddlesore

Visit site
Wow the swimming sounds amazing!! None here however. Yeah his hind gut definitely has issues, he’s fed protexin gut balancer year round, I recently added in gut sponge and I sometimes need to add charcoal. Fecal water syndrome is not pretty!! I will try to muzzle when he’s on the longer grass but it seems to stress him having things on his face and he removes them ASAP (like fly masks). He’s also lucky enough to be turned out in a herd of 15 in huge fields so finding dumped items isn’t fun ? Work wise it varies, I’m a secondary teacher and it’s exam time here so currently being ridden 4 times a week, mostly hacking. However I’m lucky to have lots of hills and lots of opportunities for fast work. He’s also very keen so when ridden he gets a good workout. I could probably fit a longer one 2 1/2 hours + in once a week if that might help?

SEL

Visit site
Wow the swimming sounds amazing!! None here however. Yeah his hind gut definitely has issues, he’s fed protexin gut balancer year round, I recently added in gut sponge and I sometimes need to add charcoal. Fecal water syndrome is not pretty!! I will try to muzzle when he’s on the longer grass but it seems to stress him having things on his face and he removes them ASAP (like fly masks). He’s also lucky enough to be turned out in a herd of 15 in huge fields so finding dumped items isn’t fun ? Work wise it varies, I’m a secondary teacher and it’s exam time here so currently being ridden 4 times a week, mostly hacking. However I’m lucky to have lots of hills and lots of opportunities for fast work. He’s also very keen so when ridden he gets a good workout. I could probably fit a longer one 2 1/2 hours + in once a week if that might help?

Even 1 x longer hack a week helps but if you've got gut problems then you might find addressing that deflates your horse. It did with one of mine although her gut struggles with grass so she's currently being silly and looking pregnant again.

The equibiome test is a good place to start although all of mine get a pinch of the oily herbs since I did it (thyme, oregano, rosemary) and I notice with two of them when I run out. The other two don't seem to be so sensitive, but both of them are real hedgerow browsers so I suspect they naturally self medicate

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Even 1 x longer hack a week helps but if you've got gut problems then you might find addressing that deflates your horse. It did with one of mine although her gut struggles with grass so she's currently being silly and looking pregnant again.

The equibiome test is a good place to start although all of mine get a pinch of the oily herbs since I did it (thyme, oregano, rosemary) and I notice with two of them when I run out. The other two don't seem to be so sensitive, but both of them are real hedgerow browsers so I suspect they naturally self medicate

With the oily herbs, do you feed them fresh so the oil is in them still or do they retain the oil when dried?

SEL

Visit site
With the oily herbs, do you feed them fresh so the oil is in them still or do they retain the oil when dried?
I'm feeding them dry.

I have an absolute tonne of rosemary and oregano in my garden (oregano has weed status) but no way will any of my horses eat it fresh!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm feeding them dry.

I have an absolute tonne of rosemary and oregano in my garden (oregano has weed status) but no way will any of my horses eat it fresh!

Thank you :) I have all of the above in the dried form so might try adding some to his feed. We're not having major issues and he's an OK weight (not as lean as he was in winter) but he definitely inflates a little when he comes in & deflates when off grass for a period.

I've had him off grass on a track system before but it just didn't suit him/us at the time and can't set one where I am to overcome the issues (I think) we had.

Last edited:

saddlesore

Visit site
IF you are in a position to do it, convert to Track system.

This time last year my mare was clinically obese even on a Strip-grazing system and vet suggested converting to a Track system.

It was life-changing; the only way we could keep her anything like the correct weight.
Sadly no as I’m on livery and it’s herd turnout. I would LOVE a proper track system. He’s also barefoot and I believe they’re excellent for maintenance. You’re very lucky ❤️